I can't see how much space I have left on my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iRock1, Aug 19, 2014.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

If I go to the settings menu, there is an obvious inconsistency. Now try to find it :D:

[​IMG]

The funniest thing is that if I go to iTunes, I get an even different result:

[​IMG]

So I have three different pieces of information. What the heck?

By the way, the iPhone is fully synced, and I've already tried restarting it with no luck.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're looking at wrong place.
    Settings/general/about/available
    That will tell you how much space you have left on your iphone.

3. maliu macrumors 6502a

My numbers are the same in both places, usage AND about.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What version of iOS are you using. The reason I ask is that picture looks wrong. The numbers have commas not full stops for the decimal.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's just international localization since different countries and regions around the world express some things like decimals, dates, etc. in somewhat different formats.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ah I see

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I can't see how much space I have left on my iPhone

7 is and has always been a buggy cowpatty,

Its some sort of database error/corruption with your music app.

I would wipe your Music.app data, verify it returns to zero, then start fresh.

8. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Ok, I'll try that and see if it fixes the problem.

9. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Ok, I did that and now everything seems to be kind of normal.

Still I see some discrepancies, though minimal. For instance, my iPhone says that I have 21.3 GB in music, while iTunes says it's 21.12 GB. Also, my iPhone says it has 1.5 GB available, while iTunes says it's 1.84 GB.

And on top of that, yesterday I took three photos with my iPhone. After connecting it to iTunes, the latter said that there were 3 photos and they were taking up to 180 MB of space, which is impossible.

Certainly now the situation is not as absurd as it was exposed in the first post, but still I see plenty of errors when it comes to actually displaying the used and free space, both in iOS and iTunes. :confused:

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This could be rounding errors somewhere. I wouldn't sweat.

Certainly a little more significant, odd. No suggestions.

How much of that space could be attributed to Photostream?

Settings -> General -> Usage -> wait for the spinwheel to finish and look for Photos.

Mine shows 'Photos & Camera' total 156MB. Tap it for breakdown:
    Camera Roll 132MB
    Photo Library 0
    Photo Stream 23.3MB

11. bugaboo12 macrumors newbie

There is also the thumbnail index files and the small thumbnails (for both camera and synced photos of the photo app) in there, which is likely most of it.

I've noticed a lot of inconsistency as well. How "off" is your available vs used (vs total capacity of your phone) on the device now?

12. nyjoe610 macrumors newbie

Is it possible that itunes syncs compressed versions of your music to your phone, but on itunes it shows its regular file size?

13. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

I had nothing on Photostream at that time. Absolutely zero items.

Now the Settings menu shows an used space of 27.3 MB in Photos & Camera, though I still have zero items. I guess it's the Camera app only (though that doesn't explain the previous error).

In my previous post I specified the used and free space, according to iTunes and the iPhone.

Regarding your first comment, how could three thumbnails reach such an absurd amount of MB? That wouldn't explain it.

It could be. I have configured iTunes so everything that goes into my phone is converted to AAC at 192 Kbps.

However, iTunes shouldn't calculate the used space based on the real size of the original files, as those are only stored in my iTunes library and they don't exist on my phone. Also, that would explain the music part only, not the errors on the free space calculation and the ones related to photos.