I cant see the external optical DVD drive to install the Snow Leopard!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vangoun, Feb 3, 2012.

1. vangoun macrumors newbie

Hello, i am trying to install the Snow Leopard OS to my MBA (10.5.2) using the optical drive of my iMac (Lion). The moment i power up the MBA (with the option button being pressed) after i log into the wi-fi network, the only boot device i see is the Macintoxcv hard drive. Which is the MBA's hard drive.

I dont see the Optical drive of my iMac with the installation dvd inside. They are both in the same wi-fi network and the sharing is on.
    If i log into the MBA i am able to remotely run the DVD but the system says that my hard drive is corrupted and i need to boot from the dvd and that i shouldn't worry because the problem will be resolved during the installation of the Snow Leopard. But i cant boot from the DVD as i previously stated.. ANy ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. vangoun thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i tried to do that. The problem is step number 2: "If the other computer is a Mac, open /Applications/Utilities/Remote Install Mac OS X. On Windows, choose "Remote Install Mac OS X" from the Install Assistant."

I am guessing that the"other computer" in this case is the iMac, the one who's optical drive i am using. The source in other words. Well, under applications/utilities, there is no Remore Install Mac OS X choice to clic on!!

On the other hand, i do have this choice under application/utilities at my MBA. But the MBA is where i need to install the Snow Leopard. Not the source!!

Any ideas?

4. vangoun thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it appears that i already have this installed to my iMac. I downloaded it now and i couldnt install it because my computer has a newer version of it. ( That was the message that came up) The problem is that under Applications/Utilities i don't have the "Remote Install Mac OS X" option to clic on it!!
    I can see all the rest except that.

5. simsaladimbamba

6. vangoun thread starter macrumors newbie

7. simsaladimbamba

8. vangoun thread starter macrumors newbie

My friend i do have here at my place a laptop PC with windows XP on it and DVD player
    Is there any way to use that to do the job?

9. simsaladimbamba

While one can Remote Share a disk via Windows and the software for Windows, I don't know, if that works. You can give it a try.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You can share it, but sounds like he's trying to use it as a boot device which isn't going to work. Make a bootable USB install, or attach the DVD via USB.

11. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yeah, and what has this to do with the
    Mac Applications and Mac App Store forum?