I can't sleep

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, May 16, 2012.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What do you do when you can't fall asleep, or when you have trouble staying asleep? :confused: Do you have any tricks? I heard reading is good.

Tonight, I fell asleep at ~12:30 AM, and woke up at ~2:30 AM. It's 6 AM, and I haven't been able to sleep since I woke up. I don't intend on falling asleep again since it's already 6:00 AM.

And the reason I can't go back to sleep is quite odd. When I woke up, I was really thirsty, but I also had to pee. I drank some water, went to the toilet, and got back into bed.

Later, I needed to pee again because I drank roughly 1 litre of water. I was also thirsty again. WTF. :mad: Why does my body want to get rid of that water if I'm so thirsty? Don't tell me it's kidney failure or something. "LUPUS!? IS IT LUPUS?!?"

Anyway, this cycle happened 4 times. Four. Four Times!! Plus, I couldn't stop thinking. I couldn't stop thinking about why I was so bloody thirsty when I had to go to the bathroom again, and what I would write on MacRumours if I were to start a thread about this to complement all the "excretion" threads that are clogging up the Community Forum. Well here I am. This is the result of the cruel joke my body is playing on me.

Anyway, I'm up. I'll eat breakfast and go to work early. I need to cycle around 40 minutes to get there, so I better plan ahead. There's a good chance I'll arrive at work sweaty, thirsty, and with a very full bladder. :rolleyes: Or lupus.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I rub one out.

Maybe you need to see a doctor, really.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I find exercise always cures my case of not being able to sleep. I sleep much better if I get a run in the morning or after work in the afternoon.

4. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Again?

Perhaps. May be too much caffeine, or not rubbing one out frequently enough?

Two months ago, I didn't sleep well for 3 nights. I phoned in sick on the 4th day because I couldn't be bothered. That's actually what I told my boss, and she could only reply with, "Well.....thank you for your honesty."

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You too? :D

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Again? haha Have I responded like this before? Well it never gets old and it is always true. :D
    Yup. :D

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You drinking cold water? I can't confirm this because I'm not a doctor, but cold water makes you want to pee quicker after you drink.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

If I seriously can't sleep, I'll take a 7.5mg zopiclone, I get about 14 of them prescribed when I ask for them which is usually once every 18 months.

I won't take one the next night, and I'll psych myself to just assume I'll have no problems and generally this works, on the rare occasion that this does not work I'll stay up to 4-5AM, be a bit grumpy about the situation then in variably sleep an hour between 6AM-7AM. The following night after a day being active I'll sleep like a baby.

I used to suffer severe insomnia and sleep paralysis, this routine is what broke it.

edit: what's your salt intake like? if it's too high it could cause symptoms like those.

9. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

It is actually a scientific method to help sleep, I read somewhere once. It releases hormones or endorphins or whatever to induce sleep.
    I have conducted research into it for the past decade and can confirm it's effectiveness. :D

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wasn't kidding, not even a little and I'm usually always kidding, a little.
    Orgasms are also supposed to help with headaches for the same reasons. That too is something you can probably back up with scientific research. Me, I conduct my own studies daily ... sometimes twice.

11. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You must be lost. iBlue's "Bad Habits" thread is over there. :p

So do I! When I can't sleep one night, I'll try to go into bed with a bit of optimism. Actually, I should say that I don't go into bed believing that I won't fall asleep.

It was quite low today. Also, I would have thought that too much salt would translate into less urine, since your body doesn't want to increase the concentration of salt in your system. :confused:

Don't listen to me, though. That was just a guess from a sleep-deprived man with a child's bladder.

12. TSE macrumors 68030

I've noticed when I am generally busy throughout the day and get enough exercise, I sleep like a baby. When I laze around all day or even part of the day I have troubles falling asleep.

13. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, I read that too, but the article wasn't about sleep. It was about sex, and was trying to explain why men are likely to want to fall asleep after sex, and why women want to cuddle.

I thought it was quite a sexist presumption of all men and women, but then again, it did describe me perfectly. :p

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Don't drink a full litre at a time, just a sip or two.

It's not helping, and might be depleting you of electrolytes.

15. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Try pre-scripted(which means you go see a doctor) Melatonin.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Cold water isn't absorbed into the body as efficiently as room temperature water (or warmer, I suppose). The side effect is having to urinate more frequently.

You can try this, as it's known to help: [​IMG]
    You may end up eating an entire box of crackers instead though.

I don't typically have problems sleeping unless our bedroom is too warm/stuffy.

Have you tried rubbing one out again again?

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That link doesn't show, Surely.

Well ****, that's odd. It shows in the quote above, but not in the original post.

Clean-up on aisle 69.

EDIT: "Access denied" on this Image.

Then the worry about peeing the bed won't keep him awake, but the pain from chaffing would. :)

18. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

For me I sleep much better if I really wear myself out during the day, for example by exercising.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

For me, it's showing in my post, but not in your post (there's an Image link). Must be the browsers.....I'm using Chrome.

Or maybe you need to stay off the drugs.:D

Here's a screenshot, just for you: Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 2.24.07 PM.png

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I ocassionally have nights where I don't sleep at all. No idea what causes it, and it doesn't really hinder me the next day. People tell me I have too much caffeine or not enough exercise or any number of other reasons. I've tried a lot of things, nothing works. Maybe there is no underlying cause, perhaps its just that sometimes im not tired.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

22. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Neither was I bro, neither was I. ;)

Yeah I believe that was the same one that I read. I just figured that it worked regardless of the sex being a solo effort or not, turns out I am right.

23. PigDog macrumors member

Blood test

If you are very thirsty during the day too, it might be wise to have some blood work done by your GP as being thirsty could be a sign of an elevated sugar level. You can also do it yourself as these basic kits are sold at most drug stores sometimes discounted to around $20

24. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Check into melatonin. My adult son has sleep issues and it's been quite helpful for him.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese