Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goddamnmaddog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
OK, this is weird. :confused: I installed iTunes 9 yesterday and since then the applications just randomly (Preview, Word, Pages, Textedit, Opera...) won't start anymore when I wan't to open some file (like Word file). I can only use Safari and iTunes. The only way I can make them work again is rebooting macbook. I can play with apps after that for 3 hours or so and then they won't open again. The icons just jump in the dock.

I have also another problem: when I adjust sound or brightness then the bars in the icon move very slowly, not smoothly. This also occurs when I hold a backspace button down to delete text. I noticed this 2 weeks ago.

goddamnmaddog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I read previous posts and it was recommended to use mainmenu and onyx. I downloaded them and now everywhere I go there is ds store file and icons are all bright. WTF?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It seems as if you enabled the showing of invisible files, in Onyx look for something along the lines of "Show hidden files and folders", will likely be in the finder section of Onyx. Sorry can't check as it doesn't run on Snow Leopard.

Does the Console (/Applications//Utilities/Console.app) display any messages when the applications fail to load?

Do you get any error messages?

I recently had a problem where applications would fail to launch and the error message would say too many processes or something similar. In the end after extensive google searching it seemed to be terminal so I reinstalled everything when moving to Snow Leopard. You could try re-applying the latest combo update to whatever os you are currently on.

I would say anything that is vitally important before doing so though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.