Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmlavin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
I got a new MacBook yesterday and I got MobileMe. I want to transfer my iTunes library from my PC to my MacBook. So I uploaded from our PC (Vista) my "iTunes Library.itl" and it won't open up on my PC. I don't where the problem is here, but I need help. I also downloaded it to my MacBook and it is showing it under downloads and when I open it with iTunes nothing shows. Please help. :apple:

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The .itl is a single file, there is no way it will carry over your hundreds or possibly thousands of mp3s. 2 ways to get around this. 1) Move the iTunes Music folder in My Documents/My Music/iTunes to an external drive. Open iTunes then add that entire folder to the library. 2) With iTunes 7 or 8, go to the File menu on your iTunes application on Windows, go to Library->Back Up To Disc. Have a stack of CDs or DVDs on hand. This will preserve all your play counts, ratings, everything and when you have iTunes open on the Mac and insert the backup disc, you can restore everything to the other computer.

P.S. MobileMe is for syncing contacts/calendars and bookmarks from Mac to Mac and PC to PC, not sure how well it does cross platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.