I can't sync using Windows 7

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by u26055, Dec 18, 2009.

1. u26055 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I searched the forums on this & I can't find anything, so here goes since I've switched over to Windows 7 I can't sync my ATV, is this a windows problem? Is anyone else this these issues?

I got my ATV the 1st week it was out, so it's getting old, but it was working before my upgrade. I've talked to Apple & they they didn't have a fix for it. I don't really feel like going the malls where the stores are located to have it checked out there.

Thanks

2. roidy macrumors 6502a

I was using Win 7 32bit and have now moved over to Win 7 64bit and both versions work perfectly with my AppleTV so not a Windows problem. Does your AppleTV still connect to the internet(ie can you browse the store)? If so then I can't see it being a AppleTV hardware problem. Maybe it's a firewall problem, try turning off Windows firewall and see if it works.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's likely a firewall problem. Uninstall and reinstall iTunes.

4. u26055 thread starter macrumors newbie

That fixed it. I had just installed it when I switched over, to 64 bit, so I didn't think that was the issue. I also turned off the firewall, so it was one of these 2 things.

Thanks!

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Great.

However, I wouldn’t run Windows 7 without a firewall. I would turn it back on go into the advanced firewall options and make sure iTunes traffic is allowed. That’s why I recommended reinstalling iTunes. The installer would have told Windows 7 to open those firewall ports automatically.

6. rogervzv macrumors member

rogervzv

I have found the Windows Firewall to be a pernicious and persistent problem. Once I turned it off all my problems with ATV and many other things went away. With the ATV the difference was like night and day. My ATVs never drop out any more, synch beautifully, etc. The firewall just could not be made to leave them alone.

7. roidy macrumors 6502a

Like jaw04005 said don't run Windows without a firewall, turn it back on and if the AppleTV stops working again then you'll more than likely need to open the following port's 3689 TCP and 5353 UDP. I know I can't sync with my AppleTV without opening those ports on my router so that could be the problem.