I can't take it anymore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanielQ, Aug 31, 2008.

1. DanielQ macrumors member

I've had the iphone for over a month. I loved it, but then...

I moved off to college. I'm in a city with a metropolitan area of over 325,000, yet ATT has lousy coverage where I live. Some places all bars, but half the time no service. It's unbearable.

What are my options? I love my iphone, but I fear I'll have to replace it with something else from a different carrier.

Should I get a new phone? If so, which one comes the closest to the iphone?

If not, can I unlock it for a different carrier?

Thanks!

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

If it is an iPhone 3G there is no software unlock yet.

3. Trip.Tucker Guest

Yes there is. One simply needs to look a little.

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

No just keep the phone and admire it without using it. Isn't it a no brainer. If you don't have service why would you keep it.

5. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Really? Please post a link as I know there are many people looking for one and as far as I am aware none has yet been released.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

An iPhone without phone service would be an iPod touch -- still very useful as a multi-media portable entertainment device. ;)

7. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Compare with other phones and see if they fare better. The iPhone is known to be a little shifty signal-wise. This goes for both 3G, Edge and WiFi. I have an iPod Touch that always gives me all bars on WiFi, but on the iPhone 3G it's only one or two. And on my old 3G phone (SonyEricsson P1i) I always had all bars on Edge and 3G, but on the iPhone I get 4 bars max on Edge and 1-2 on 3G. If this is the best they could do with the new plastic housing, I dread to think what the old metal housing would have been like in my neighborhood...

8. tiggery2k3 macrumors member

tiggery2k3

or a very exspensive paperweight. Or an ibrick.

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I have to ask: is AT&T really that bad? I'm on Rogers in Canada and I've NEVER had a dropped call, NEVER had slow 3G on Safari, NEVER had no service (and I've been all over Canada with my phone). Honestly, is the AT&T network just garbage or what?

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You haven't given enough details. Is your phone set to use 3G? If so, you may find Edge gives better results. You haven't mentioned the town, but you may simply be subject to poor signal in the areas you frequent (geographic or manmade) and the town otherwise has good coverage. In some cities AT&T leases towers from another carrier and are not able to provide the full range of services.

11. DanielQ thread starter macrumors member

No, my city doesn't have 3G. It's Peoria, Illinois.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the city gets good coverage just not the places I frequent.... since I'm frequently the places, I need it to work. Apparently ATT doesn't do that lease thing around me, unfortunately. Constantly having no service and dropped calls.

12. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

I didn't have coverage at my college for about 3 months last year. I called up AT&T and reported 'problem making or receiving calls" and complained about no service.

Not to say anything I did expedited the process, but my area got a new tower and now it's 5 bar heaven!

13. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I have you turned of 3G? Not saying it will work but it might help.

14. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It depends on where you are. In my area, AT&T's 2.5G service is crap, but the 3G is really good. That was the main reason I didn't get the original iPhone. Two dropped calls on 3G and fast data for me all throughout SoCal.

15. DanielQ thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, tried. Doesn't seem to help, and I don't have 3G here anyway.

If I have to switch back to Verizon, what's the best iphone-like phone? Hah.

16. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Ever consider a VOIP app?

Seriously though, you're better off jailbreaking and unlocking with T-Mobile. No phone can come close. If you don't mind waiting, the Blackberry Thunder (touchscreen) should come out soon, but I have a feeling it'll suck.

17. DanielQ thread starter macrumors member

I would unlock it but the iPhone 3G hasn't been unlocked yet, right? Plus wouldn't I have to pay the difference for the cost of the iPhone if I cancel my contract with ATT?

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You could cancel your contract and incur the $175 fee. However, right now you could probably make up the cost of the phone and the ETF by selling it on ebay or craigslist if you want.

I would wait to see if the upcoming software update does anything about your reception.

19. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Apply to a better school with better reception =).

20. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Well if AT&T ain't got no signal...good luck w/ Terrible-mobile.
    Uz in need of the V at your U. Does Edge work?

21. CADACUSER macrumors newbie

I would change schools... apply to the iSchool. Everyone gets 10 bars.

Ha! Just joking. I have the same issues! It stinks.

Carl D.

22. DanielQ thread starter macrumors member

... sometimes.