I can't take it anymore

DanielQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I've had the iphone for over a month. I loved it, but then...

I moved off to college. I'm in a city with a metropolitan area of over 325,000, yet ATT has lousy coverage where I live. Some places all bars, but half the time no service. It's unbearable.

What are my options? I love my iphone, but I fear I'll have to replace it with something else from a different carrier.

Should I get a new phone? If so, which one comes the closest to the iphone?

If not, can I unlock it for a different carrier?

Thanks!

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
No just keep the phone and admire it without using it. Isn't it a no brainer. If you don't have service why would you keep it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No just keep the phone and admire it without using it. Isn't it a no brainer. If you don't have service why would you keep it.
An iPhone without phone service would be an iPod touch -- still very useful as a multi-media portable entertainment device. ;)

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005

I moved off to college. I'm in a city with a metropolitan area of over 325,000, yet ATT has lousy coverage where I live. Some places all bars, but half the time no service. It's unbearable.

What are my options? I love my iphone, but I fear I'll have to replace it with something else from a different carrier.

Thanks!
Compare with other phones and see if they fare better. The iPhone is known to be a little shifty signal-wise. This goes for both 3G, Edge and WiFi. I have an iPod Touch that always gives me all bars on WiFi, but on the iPhone 3G it's only one or two. And on my old 3G phone (SonyEricsson P1i) I always had all bars on Edge and 3G, but on the iPhone I get 4 bars max on Edge and 1-2 on 3G. If this is the best they could do with the new plastic housing, I dread to think what the old metal housing would have been like in my neighborhood...

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
I have to ask: is AT&T really that bad? I'm on Rogers in Canada and I've NEVER had a dropped call, NEVER had slow 3G on Safari, NEVER had no service (and I've been all over Canada with my phone). Honestly, is the AT&T network just garbage or what?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

Thanks!
You haven't given enough details. Is your phone set to use 3G? If so, you may find Edge gives better results. You haven't mentioned the town, but you may simply be subject to poor signal in the areas you frequent (geographic or manmade) and the town otherwise has good coverage. In some cities AT&T leases towers from another carrier and are not able to provide the full range of services.

DanielQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
You haven't given enough details. Is your phone set to use 3G? If so, you may find Edge gives better results. You haven't mentioned the town, but you may simply be subject to poor signal in the areas you frequent (geographic or manmade) and the town otherwise has good coverage. In some cities AT&T leases towers from another carrier and are not able to provide the full range of services.
No, my city doesn't have 3G. It's Peoria, Illinois.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the city gets good coverage just not the places I frequent.... since I'm frequently the places, I need it to work. Apparently ATT doesn't do that lease thing around me, unfortunately. Constantly having no service and dropped calls.

Schmoe0013

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Minneapolis, USA
I didn't have coverage at my college for about 3 months last year. I called up AT&T and reported 'problem making or receiving calls" and complained about no service.

Not to say anything I did expedited the process, but my area got a new tower and now it's 5 bar heaven!

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
No, my city doesn't have 3G. It's Peoria, Illinois.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the city gets good coverage just not the places I frequent.... since I'm frequently the places, I need it to work. Apparently ATT doesn't do that lease thing around me, unfortunately. Constantly having no service and dropped calls.
I have you turned of 3G? Not saying it will work but it might help.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I have to ask: is AT&T really that bad? I'm on Rogers in Canada and I've NEVER had a dropped call, NEVER had slow 3G on Safari, NEVER had no service (and I've been all over Canada with my phone). Honestly, is the AT&T network just garbage or what?
It depends on where you are. In my area, AT&T's 2.5G service is crap, but the 3G is really good. That was the main reason I didn't get the original iPhone. Two dropped calls on 3G and fast data for me all throughout SoCal.

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Yeah, tried. Doesn't seem to help, and I don't have 3G here anyway.

If I have to switch back to Verizon, what's the best iphone-like phone? Hah.
Ever consider a VOIP app?

Seriously though, you're better off jailbreaking and unlocking with T-Mobile. No phone can come close. If you don't mind waiting, the Blackberry Thunder (touchscreen) should come out soon, but I have a feeling it'll suck.

DanielQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Ever consider a VOIP app?

Seriously though, you're better off jailbreaking and unlocking with T-Mobile. No phone can come close. If you don't mind waiting, the Blackberry Thunder (touchscreen) should come out soon, but I have a feeling it'll suck.
I would unlock it but the iPhone 3G hasn't been unlocked yet, right? Plus wouldn't I have to pay the difference for the cost of the iPhone if I cancel my contract with ATT?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You could cancel your contract and incur the $175 fee. However, right now you could probably make up the cost of the phone and the ETF by selling it on ebay or craigslist if you want.

I would wait to see if the upcoming software update does anything about your reception.