Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Todthebod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
I looked it up on a bunch of different sites but get crazy different answers. Wife got it for me for Christmas of 2011 so it's a late 2011. Unibody, quad core i7 2.4, 4g ram, 750hd. Got all the chargers, box, instructions. I use it about once every 2 months so it's seriously in pristine condition. I just never could get into the OS so I don't use it. It's just sitting here. Thought I'd use the dough to get some AR goodies (my current hobby). I don't want to rape anybody but I don't want to get shafted either. What's a fair price to ask?

LoMonkey

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
I looked it up on a bunch of different sites but get crazy different answers. Wife got it for me for Christmas of 2011 so it's a late 2011. Unibody, quad core i7 2.4, 4g ram, 750hd. Got all the chargers, box, instructions. I use it about once every 2 months so it's seriously in pristine condition. I just never could get into the OS so I don't use it. It's just sitting here. Thought I'd use the dough to get some AR goodies (my current hobby). I don't want to rape anybody but I don't want to get shafted either. What's a fair price to ask?

Is it a 17" or 15"?

EDIT:
The 17" Oct 2011 MBP is running $1900 refurbished right now and the 15" Oct 2011 is $1500 refurbished. Both have the same specs as yours and both are certified from Apple. I would place your price absolutely no higher than both of these. You can advertise it for the same amounts as Apple refurbs, which will give you some bargaining room.

Last edited:

Todthebod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
It's a 15 inch. What site should I sell it on? Getting tired of the crazy people on ebay and then there's the % fee thing on there.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Craigslist. Deal local only, meet in public, and only accept cash.

Depending on your location, this is probably the best site.

$1200 would be a lot
$1000 is probably about right
$800 if you just want to blow it out

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Craigslist has become somewhat of a dangerous venue to buy or sell anything in my opinion. Just recently in my hometown an iPhone buyer was shot on a McDonald's parking lot, in broad daylight, on a Sunday afternoon, on one of the most heavily travelled streets in the city. If I ever use them again I will complete the transaction on the lot of the sheriff's substation a few blocks from my home.

triplenick

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
New York
I sold my mid-2012 13" MBA on Craigslist. I recommend doing the transaction at a bank, preferably a branch, as they tend to have security and places to sit. Make the buyer withdraw the money from the ATM right in front of you so you know that the money is 100% legitimate. I've heard horror stories where sellers are given a large sum of money, only to find out that it's illegitimate when it is already too late.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Craigslist has become somewhat of a dangerous venue to buy or sell anything in my opinion. Just recently in my hometown an iPhone buyer was shot on a McDonald's parking lot, in broad daylight, on a Sunday afternoon, on one of the most heavily travelled streets in the city. If I ever use them again I will complete the transaction on the lot of the sheriff's substation a few blocks from my home.

Depending on your location...

As I prefaced.

___

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
I sold my mid-2012 13" MBA on Craigslist. I recommend doing the transaction at a bank, preferably a branch, as they tend to have security and places to sit. Make the buyer withdraw the money from the ATM right in front of you so you know that the money is 100% legitimate. I've heard horror stories where sellers are given a large sum of money, only to find out that it's illegitimate when it is already too late.

This is not a bad idea, but all of our currency is fake money and illegitimate anyway, so whose to say one guys fake is any less legitimate than that of the Fed! As long as it'll pass, it's all fiat anyway.

I usually use an Apple store. They're bright, located in very public places, crowded, and if there's an issue with or question about the machine you're already in the best spot for solving an issue or getting a question answered.

Also, best to walk away before engaging if the counterparty appears Thuggee or Vandalen. ;)

___

----------

Depending on your location, this is probably the best site.

$1200 would be a lot
$1000 is probably about right
$800 if you just want to blow it out

BTW - If you do just want to blow it out, I'd be a buyer at that price assuming we can work out a secure transaction method. And if your AR hobby is what I think it is we might could arrange a trade through your FFL LGS.

____

Last edited:

Todthebod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
My main goal of selling it is to finance my 4x ACOG (tritium)? purchase without my wife getting mad. (MacBook was Christmas present), so if you have any of those to trade we can talk. :D

This is not a bad idea, but all of our currency is fake money and illegitimate anyway, so whose to say one guys fake is any less legitimate than that of the Fed! As long as it'll pass, it's all fiat anyway.

I usually use an Apple store. They're bright, located in very public places, crowded, and if there's an issue with or question about the machine you're already in the best spot for solving an issue or getting a question answered.

Also, best to walk away before engaging if the counterparty appears Thuggee or Vandalen. ;)

___

----------

BTW - If you do just want to blow it out, I'd be a buyer at that price assuming we can work out a secure transaction method. And if your AR hobby is what I think it is we might could arrange a trade through your FFL LGS.

____

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.