I can't understand why people bash the 6490m

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matt3526, Mar 29, 2011.

1. matt3526 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

As the title suggests really, the card isn't as bad as people make out. I am playing bulletstorm with max settings and the game runs perfect with no lag anywhere. Why does everyone hate it so much?

2. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Same here, I don't understand why some people even said the 2010 nvidia 330m 256mb version is better. I ran cinebench test and the 330m 256mb scored 15 Fps average compared to the new amd radeon 6490m which scored 20 fps and the 6750m scored 35 fps.

3. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yeah I think initial reactions it was deemed pretty poor but in actuality and in usage it does beat out the 330m especially within OSX it seems to perform better on games than the 330m did. Which is great, but when you have something else to compare it to, the 6750m well then it gets spanked. But for non-hardcore gamers the 6490m paired with the quads is pretty killer. It'll best the 330m machines when gaming in OSX which is great.

As many do appreciate you MROOGLing for us, those links, if you bothered to read them rather than post without any help toward this discussion, don't do much for the OP's thoughts. A few of those links give no actual numbers of usage like gaming FPS etc. Also some are old and unsubstantiated, like saying the 330m is a way more powerful card. Please don't just come into threads and post links when the links themselves don't really add much to a specific topic question here.

4. karohan macrumors 6502

Well I always figured that the real world results with the 2011 mbp's with the 6490m were better than the 2010 mbp's with the 330m because the former also has a quad core processor and the latter has a dual core.

Of course that means you're still better off purchasing the 6490m equipped 2011 mbp over a 2010 mbp, but people are pissed because if the 2011 quad core mbp's were equipped with a 330m, they would've performed better than now with the 6490m.

I figure the reason that they didn't do that now was that they didn't want to mix and match models with Nvidia and ATI.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, the links weren't for you, but for the OP. Second, I did read them. The OP asked:
    Those links are perfectly relevant, as they give people's opinions that the OP asked about.
    The OP didn't ask for actual numbers of usage; only why people didn't like the 6490m. Again, they're relevant.
    All those threads have posts within the past 5 weeks, so they're not old. As for unsubstantiated, again, the OP didn't ask for that. The OP asked why people hated it. Those threads are directly relevant, even if you disagree with the reasoning of some of those posters.
    I'll post what I like. The threads are current and relevant to the OP's post. If the OP wanted something else, they should ask for something else. The links were posted as relevant reading, which they are. They're not intended to be a replacement for this thread, or a guarantee that everything that is discussed here will be addressed in those threads, to everyone's satisfaction.

You post your way and I'll post mine.

6. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Now, now, boys... you both always offer awesome help, technique be damned.

OP: It's usually the hardcore types who get their knickers in a wad. As you've come to find out, the card performs, and it performs well.

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Okay I'll try to form an opinion on why people hate it. I personally don't but from what I've gathered because it's a 256mb VRAM card, it's not a huge upgrade (some argue if at all) to the 330m and for the base $1800 price it's a low end card for a "premium" machine.

Also I'm not gonna hate on the mroogling GGJ since it helps plenty of people that won't search but even that last link you posted goes nowhere lol. Just talk of 6730 or some card and gddr3 both not found in these macs. Plus even though the posts were only 5 weeks old, many were made the day of release and many of them were simple claims when no benchmarks or real world usage were available. So I guess it's fair to say people hate on the 6490 because they just read what it is on paper and it wasn't what they wanted.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... which is what the OP asked, "Why does everyone hate it so much?" The links showed what people were saying about it and why they disliked it, whether their arguments were valid or not.

9. superericla macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook pro with the 6490m and I'm able to play Portal with everything turned on high with no noticeable lag in framerate. I find that to be more than enough for my needs. haha

10. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

i had the 6490m for about a week, after noticing several games showed a mild lag i decided to cough up the extra dough and get the 6750 which is a newer model (or a rebranded desktop model, i forget), and hopefully that means AMD will be releasing drivers for it periodically.

GTA San Andreas runs beautifully on my MBP via bootcamp, not to mention DVDs.

although video ran perfectly well on the 6490 too; it must be an "easy" task.

it all really depends on what you use your machine for!

11. sbbluewater macrumors member

I think people did not and may not like the 6490 card because compared to the 6750 it is pretty weak for game play. However, for those of us that do not play lots of games it is a pure pleasure! I have no issues at all with it for light photo editing and general productivity applications. I think people may have been upset because when the 2011 models came out the processors took such a big step forwards and we just assumed Apple would do the same with everything else including the GPU. The fact that they only really did this with the higher end 15" and 17" may have not met some peoples expectations, hence the "hate" or upset feelings. For me the 15" basic machine with the 6490 card is wonderful. No complaints at all!