I Can't Upgrade to Lion - What Will I Miss?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Melodeath, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I can't upgrade to Lion as it will break compatibility with at least a few software plug-ins I use daily for work. I did not know iCloud would be Lion-only (I'm on Snow Leopard), so I already have a 4S on the way.

Exactly what features will I be missing, without iCloud set-up on my mac? No Photo Stream or iTunes Match? I can still backup my iPhone to the cloud or to my Mac, correct? What am I not thinking of?

2. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

i don't think you will miss out on any of the features

4. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. mburk macrumors newbie

you could install Lion on a new partition, migrate everything compatible you want to keep, and then use the original partition for your work related things.

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

You could also install Snow Leopard on a Virtual Machine using VMWare Fusion for your work stuff (keep it separated from your personal stuff anyway) and upgrade to Lion after all.

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Other things that sync with iCloud include:
    Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Safari Bookmarks, Notes, Photo Stream, and Documents and Date (Pages, Numbers etc.).

It also backs up your device, presumably app data, though I'm not sure exactly how this works.

8. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't use Mail or Contacts on the Mac. All my email is web-based, and all my contacts are only in my phone as phone numbers, or saved in my web-based email accounts. I also don't use the Calendar to mark events, or any bookmarks bc I don't use Safari. I do use Notes, though, but only on the iPhone, not the Mac

Running SL on a virtual machine seems like quite a chore, especially bc I would have to buy VMWare or something, no? And I assume it wont run as smoothly as just running SL natively (my work is audio production - I need the full power of my mac)

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Then, your photos won't auto download.

Doesn't sound like you will miss much.

And by the way..don't downvote people giving viable suggestions whomever did.

10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I don't know what kind of mac you have, so I can't comment on how smooth it will work.

I have an iMac (2009, Quad Core) and running Windows 7 works perfectly fine. I am sure running Snow Leopard will be equally fine.

You will have to buy VMWare which is $40 if you catch the promo price or get a coupon. Not a big investment, IMO. They also have a trial I think so you can see if you like it before you buy it.

If you are on a Macbook Air or something, then it will probably not be very smooth.

11. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm a mid-2010 i7 MBP. I just didn't really feel the need to upgrade to Lion since most of my software works well in SL, and there's no features I saw in Lion that I cared about, until iCloud