i can't use any massenger in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mmsmac, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mmsmac macrumors newbie

hello everybody here
    sure i can't open any messenger(yahoo,skype,amsn,etc..)i think coz the our provider internet we have VPN connecting ,and we are more users in local network,
    when i use my macbook at home ok!!i can use all messengers becoz at home the provider DSL and maybe becoz i have real IP
    if anybody has idea about that ? i need solution

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, a VPN shouldn't interfere with messenger operation. What problem are you having? It simply won't connect? Any errors?

3. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Actually connecting to a VPN is most likely the issue here since whatever netwlrk you are connecting to probably has their firewall locked down and is specifically blocking IM clients such as Messenger, Aim, Yahoo etc...

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah yes, that's a good point. I'm embarrassed to say that I thought only of the nature of VPN itself, not of what the admin might be doing on the other end.

I use Adium as my instant messenger of choice and have all of my accounts proxied through Tor, which should route the activity past your admin and have the added bonus of preventing administrators from monitoring conversations, on your end at least.

[​IMG]

It's doubly secure when used with Adium's built-in support for the Off-the-Record Messaging protocol. Security isn't the issue at hand, of course, but it never hurts.

In any case, Tor should solve your problem. It's quite slow for browsing the web, but I haven't found it to significantly slow my instant messages.

5. mmsmac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for replyings

i installed windows xp through VMware and all messengers are working there
    and i got surprised ? why in mac it's not working with same provider?
    i amn't sure where the exact problem:confused:
    i can't enter to my login at yahoo,
    i went to the provider and told them about my problem they answed maybe it depends on ur mac bcoz in windows it's working

i tried by aduim but doesn't working it continues reconnecting"error : socket is not connected"
    waiting ur suggestions

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is this with the accounts configured as I did above? That won't work unless Tor is already installed and running, so you leave them on the default configuration for the time being.

It is strange that only your Mac should be affected. What are the network settings of the VMware virtual machine?

7. mmsmac thread starter macrumors newbie

thank BlueRevolution

setting in VMware virtual machine also VPN and i choose (bridged) from VMware network setting

in my mac i cann't enter to my mail at yahoo(website),why?the error is same with messengers,it stays long time to try open but doesn't work.