I Cant use iPod nano on OS 10.3.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shlata777, Aug 27, 2008.

1. shlata777 macrumors newbie

I am by far not computer savvy and I own a G4 running OS 10.3.9. I recently bought a new iPod nano for my daughter’s 9yr birthday. This was all she wanted for her birthday. As I tried to get this going my G4 would not accept the new device. I later found out I need to purchase a system upgrade in order to use the iPod. I can barely afford the iPod let alone the extra $129.00 to use it. I feel financially violated and duped. I don’t know if I'm upset at Apple or Best Buy, or both, for not making it clear about this issue to the computer laymen’s, like myself, in the world before shelling out the hard earned cash to purchase the iPod nano. I am really upset and want to see if this has happened to others out there. Has this happened to you?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Your OS is very old why would you expect it to support the latest and greatest toys?

4. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Although I'm not sure if Apple still supports that OS, do you have the latest version of iTunes? Maybe that will help.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It is clearly stated the system requirements needed. You should have checked this before making such a purchase.

You can find a copy of OS X Tiger on Ebay for cheap.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you can't get the lastest version of iTunes without upgrading to OS 10.4.11

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

It's a new device. You have an OS that's two generations old. The requirements are on the box.

8. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

Especially since the requirements are located right on the box. :eek:

9. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Well... altho the members here are right... it DOEs have the requirements on the box.

But dont any of you sympathize for this guy at ALL??

He's not tech savvy so how was he to know what the requirement of 10.4.11 meant?

Best buy simply ASSUMED he had the newest software

But the most frusterating part is the fact... that there isnt really a GOOD reason why 10.3.9 doesnt support the new iPods. Its more like just apple wants to make their users upgrade their OS.

Im sorry you feel so ripped off... i partially dont blame you. On the up side the upgrade of your OS wont cost $129.99 unless you wanted THE BEST software ( OS X 10.5)

You only need 10.4 which, is last generations OS... so it should be fairly cheap to purchase. But be warned, if you buy 10.4 whcih is already a generation old... be prepared to hear in a year and a half that 10.4 isnt compatible wiht soemthing. =/

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

How do you know that there isn't a good reason that iTunes 7 doesn't run on OS 10.3.9? Are you saying that there's no way that there could be some resource in OS 10.4.11 that iTunes 7 needs to work?

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sympathize, why? Did he ask Best Buy if the iPod would work with his older computer? No. Did he read the package before buying? No. Do you have to be tech savvy to do any of the above? No. He should only be mad at himself for not being a smart consumer. It's HIS money he's spending, all he had to do is ask questions.

12. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

haha - buy an old windows machine and put XP on it. iPods are supported on PCs better than on Macs

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not true. These iPods are supported on the current Windows OS and the previous Windows OS. They are supported on the Current Mac OS and the previous Mac OS.

14. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Actually, it is true if you count not the versions but the time span during which your machine remains useful. I bought my powerbook a tad more than three years ago new with Panther factory-installed. After two and a half years I could not use it with the new ipods anymore. Nope - need to pay $ to do that. On the other hand, a six-year old PC box originally shipped with XP can be upgraded (for free!) to SP2 and can be used with the same new iPod. So again, which OS is better supported by iPods?

I myself ended up upgrading my PB to 10.5 for a different reason and do not regret it (in fact, Leopard is running better on it than the original system, and my PC friends can not believe that an upgrade can make a 3-yo machine run faster. Unfortunately, the opposite is true for MS office, but that's another story). But it is still kind of irksome to have to be cut off iPod support in a relatively new machine.

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I do not see how you can feel ripped off by Apple or Best Buy with this situation, as the requirements were right on the box, and the product's page on Apple's website.

This is like me going to Best Buy and buying a PC game for my Mac, and then starting a thread here about how I feel ripped off by Best Buy even though the product's requirements were right on the box.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well then why don't we use the argument of Market share? Windows XP is still by far the most used Windows OS, so it would be stupid of Apple to drop support for them. However OS X users are more eager to upgrade. Leopard is the most used Mac OS. Second --Tiger. Distant third Jaguar. So it makes sense that they support their last two OS's and microsoft's new OS (which took forever to get iTunes on Vista if you don't recall) and their most used OS.

17. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Hang on, you're telling me that a person who *KNOWS* that is he is running Mac OS X 10.3.9 apparently doesn't know what "requires 10.4.11 or better" means?

It is HIS responsibility to look at the specifications and ask, "am I running Mac OS X 10.4.11 as stated on this package?", since he knows he is running 10.3.9, then obviously he knows that he isn't running it.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OP, you have my sympathy. As some people have mentioned, you may be able to get a copy of Tiger for cheap. Failing that, you could return the Nano and possibly find an older model that supports Panther.

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Blame Microsoft for waiting 6 years to push out a new OS. iPods are still supported on XP, because Vista is so poor people aren't bothering to upgrade. On the other hand the huge majority of Mac users are running Leopard or Tiger.

20. ldirveiks macrumors newbie

Help

I hardly dare ask after reading the comments about the poor bloke who didn't read the box - but here goes. My daughter's elderly ipod has died. I would like to get her another one but her old Mac only has 10.4.11 OS so a new one will not work. Is it possible to buy out of date or second-hand ipods as we are both broke?

21. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Sure, just check out eBay or local sites, there are plenty there.

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

eBay, pawn shops, craigslist (or whatever the UK equiv. of that is) are full of them.

If you take it to an Apple Store, they can even give you a free quote for what it'd cost to get an out-of-warranty replacement through them.

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's an impressive thread resurrection there :)
    You can't buy old generation iPods from Apple, but there should be plenty of second hand ones available on eBay.
    This page gives a good breakdown of which iPods work on which version of OS X and should help you track down one that will work for you. Good luck!