I can't wait any longer...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Nov 14, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

In July, I came up with this cool idea that I would write down predictions of what my life (and my loved ones' lives) would entail in the next six months. I also said that I could never open it until January, and I can't wait any longer to see how close I was.

They aren't expectations or goals, more of just a forecast of the next six months. I can remember a few of them, and of the ones I remembers, most of them are not true and probably won't become true by January, however, you never know how life goes. I'm planning on doing another one on New Year's Day that I won't open until July 1, 2008.

I can't wait to see what I came up with. Has anybody else done something similar?

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

That sounds prety cool. I would like to try that, except I would make a text doc and put it in a locked folder that says the date in the file name to which it can be opened, and I'll have the event in iCal to remind me. I'm gona try this, thanks for the idea!

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon
    (Beautiful Boy)

:cool:

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I was out to dinner with a friend today, and they quoted that to me in regards to something we were talking about.

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

We smartarses get everywhere. ;)

6. Damnitshane1 macrumors newbie

I had to do something similar as my final for a social studies class during my senior year of high school. My teacher made us write a letter to ourselves describing who we were, what our dreams were, and what we thought our lives would be like five years down the road. She then made us put it in an envelope with our parents address on it and she's going to send it in five years. I never really understood how that connected to social studies but it was really cool of my teacher to do it.

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Have you got it back yet? If so, were you close?

I don't think I could have predicted my life now five years ago.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It's a pretty neat idea. I think I'd want to pick a date further out than six months, though. Maybe it just feels like my life won't have changed all that much six months from now.

I hope you'll report back here in January on how accurate your predictions were. ;)

9. Damnitshane1 macrumors newbie

I haven't gotten it back yet, I still have around 3 1/2 years to go, but I can't wait to read it

10. jeffzoom91 macrumors regular

jeffzoom91

I would do that, except only for the fact that I can't open it, which means, instant memorization. Plague, really I can't hide things from myself in my mind. Basically, when I need to remember something, a squirrely vogon is heard sprinting through the halls of my / and runs back and yells it to the other side of my brain to make a crude comment about, eventually it reaches my mouth, or whatever bit of m brain controls whatever function i am trying to remember it for.

11. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not planning life, I'm merely performing a demonstration of how life doesn't always work out the way we think it will.

One of the ones I can remember is that I predicted I would go to NYC again in six months, but my plans have vastly changed since July and I have not and will certainly most definitely not go to New York by the end of the year.

12. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

I had to do a similar thing in eighth grade, and I didn't get it back until after I graduated highschool. It was very entertaining to say the least but it made me sad because I had the real world to face now and couldn't be carefree anymore.

13. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I learnt the other day that this song reminds my dad of myself, I was quite touched, I never knew I had a song meaning something to someone!

14. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm really tempted to open up the file right now.....I'm so close! But should I?

15. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

After my first week in college, a professor made us write down everything we were thinking and feeling after completing our first week. She gave them back at the end of the year. It was interesting to read. I should go back and find it -- I'm now a year away from my Masters degree so it would be neat to see how I've changed.

16. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I just couldn't take it...I printed it out tonight. I had fourteen predictions, and only four became completely true...another four became partially true, but the other seven were all false.

Some of them are depressing in the way that they never became true, but it's also a great thought provoker to see how far I've come. It's not the true predictions on there that are interesting, but rather the things I didn't put on the list that didn't become true.

I'm now writing my next one. I'm going to put more thought into it, as well as split it up into predictions of myself and predictions of others, and I'm also including a section of moral questions for me to ponder about. Oh, and a cover page that asks me if it's the time to open it. I think I'm also going to split it up into a more conventional time system. For example, I wrote this first one on July 1, 2007, and I think I would've gotten a more accurate sheet if I wrote it the day before I started high school (six weeks after that date.) So, for this next one, I'm going to not open it until the last day of school this year, because that's a time that I'll want to look at it.