Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brando123b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
I'm a fairly big gamer. I currently play NO games on my original Droid, as the quality of what Android offers is pathetic. My brother has an IP4, and it is just amazing how many more titles are available, how much better they look and how much more stable they are.

On my Droid the graphics are awful and blurry, the ad supported games are so annoying, there aren't nearly as many good titles and the games crash fairly frequently.

I can't wait to get my VZ iPhone and have access to the App Store. Anyone who says "Open" is good is full of it. All "Open" means is that garbage, buggy apps can make it in with no moderation.

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2011
I'm a fairly big gamer. I currently play NO games on my original Droid, as the quality of what Android offers is pathetic. My brother has an IP4, and it is just amazing how many more titles are available, how much better they look and how much more stable they are.

On my Droid the graphics are awful and blurry, the ad supported games are so annoying, there aren't nearly as many good titles and the games crash fairly frequently.

I can't wait to get my VZ iPhone and have access to the App Store. Anyone who says "Open" is good is full of it. All "Open" means is that garbage, buggy apps can make it in with no moderation.

I am switching to the iPhone for the very same reason. The Apple Store is x10 better than the Android Flea Market.

brando123b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
I am switching to the iPhone for the very same reason. The Apple Store is x10 better than the Android Flea Market.

That is a great name for the Android Market...I think they should change it over to reflect more accurately what it really is. It is unbelievable the garbage that makes its way in...

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Totally agree with OP. I was lucky to sell my android on eBay and buy a iPhone outright with not too much a cost

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around

Yep me too. I have a Droid X and cannot wait until the iPhone comes out on Verizon. The games/apps on the Droid X are a piece of crap. I hardly use any of the apps/games on my Droid X. The most used app is Kindle on there, which I can get on the iPhone.

Thadon

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
This is the reason I have always wanted a iPhone. The Android Market is a joke. The apps are very "cheap" feeling.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
In all fairness to Android the issue is the same as the PC vs Console argument.

Developers who develop for the iPhone only have to worry about a pretty specific hardware/software design yearly. Each year there's a single iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone released and designs for the next year are for that specific hardware (and legacy to a degree of support) and just tweaked for each iOS version which Apple appears to make pretty simple for developers for the most part from version to version with their tools.

Developers who develop for the Android OS have to deal with a HUGE amount of hardware differences in CPU/GPU/RAM/Screen/etc. So they run into the same console vs PC problem. Plus multiple supported OS versions as each carrier controls what OS is on each of their releases.

When you design for a single or very limited design you can tweak the HELL out of every game. You can push every component to it's limits because it's such a small amount of variations. You can't do that nearly as well when you have 2000 possible combination's of hardware. This is why Consoles are getting more popular (like the iPhone in this argument) and PC's are dropping (like Android). When you can push the limits you can get longer life due to the uniform design.

So having defended Android developers who have to factor in a lot more let me say this... I'm getting an iPhone on 2/3/2011. I love my Droid (overclocked, rooted, custom ROM, 1.3ghz kernel, etc) but that lack of overall quality/satisfaction is just annoying. Plus while the OS is fairly solid I notice iOS appears to handle multi-tasking a bit more efficiently. Plus the more I use iOS in general (iPad daily) the more it's grown on me.

So I decided to jump ship and my iPhone will be coming as soon as they can get it to me.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
Well said.

Another issue faced by developers is testing. An iOS developer can easily test his app on all currently available iphones [right now 4 and 3GS]. On android developers have to wait for users to report phone specific problems or spend a fortune to get all current android phones.

And the issue with android is not just hardware. Every Android manufacturer has their own customized OS, at least on Windows the OS is the same regardless of manufacturer.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

lsvtecjohn3 said:

LMAO Android Flea Market

Agreed. This is a much better name for it.

brando123b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Android is inherently flawed due to the fragmentation. When you have 30 different manufacturers, with hundreds of hardware configurations on half a dozen versions of Android, it is very hard to make quality software.

In a perfect world there would be 1 Google phone, with Android, released by Google. All updates would come right from Google and the gPhone would run one version of the OS.

The problem here is the iPhone has so much of a following, no single phone could compete. It took an armada of manufacturers to be a real competitor.

The same thing that has caused android to succeed is causing it to fail...:apple:

b0blndsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
Illinois
Android is inherently flawed due to the fragmentation. When you have 30 different manufacturers, with hundreds of hardware configurations on half a dozen versions of Android, it is very hard to make quality software.

In a perfect world there would be 1 Google phone, with Android, released by Google. All updates would come right from Google and the gPhone would run one version of the OS.

The problem here is the iPhone has so much of a following, no single phone could compete. It took an armada of manufacturers to be a real competitor.

The same thing that has caused android to succeed is causing it to fail...:apple:

Well said, iphone has reached such a brand popularity level that it is going to be impossible for any other company to reach there.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Well said, iphone has reached such a brand popularity level that it is going to be impossible for any other company to reach there.

I'm sure people said the same about the Razr... or Walkman. I would never say impossible. I don't think it will be for a while, but in a business model that encourages new purchases every two years, eventually something else will take hold.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I'm a little surprised by this, most gamers I know see the phone as a light gaming device if one at all, the lack of any real control makes deep gaming difficult at best. There are surely diverting and entertaining games on there, but nothing that I would compare to current handheld gaming devices, let alone console level. [PSP/2/3, Wii, NGC, iPhone 2G/3/4 owner]

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Over 85% of Android devices are running Android 2.1. Can you say the same thing about iOS4?

Yes you can. Accounting to this report 90% of iOS devices are running 4.0 our higher.

http://www.cultofmac.com/report-nearly-90-of-ios-users-are-running-ios-4-0-or-avove/77508

The Fragmentation part about Android to me is theres new phones out that can't get certain app. For example Netflix isn't available for all Android phones even if your phone is running 2.2, not even to mention the part ware carriers won't allow you to update your phone.

http://gizmodo.com/5733556/the-complete-state-of-android-froyo-upgrades

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
In all fairness to Android the issue is the same as the PC vs Console argument.

PC games clearly state hardware/software minimum and recommended requirements for possible and best game play. The average user knows their PC wasn't designed for serious gaming. And gamers know exactly what they need.

The average mobile user thinks of their device more like a console when it comes to gaming

I'm a little surprised by this, most gamers I know see the phone as a light gaming device if one at all, the lack of any real control makes deep gaming difficult at best. There are surely diverting and entertaining games on there, but nothing that I would compare to current handheld gaming devices, let alone console level. [PSP/2/3, Wii, NGC, iPhone 2G/3/4 owner]

I have play some iPhone games that have the same level of quality as the many PSP games I've played. Some games are designed so well, you forget you playing with a virtual controller.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
No iPhone will beat any dedicated portable gaming device when it comes to real gaming. No buttons and gaming was born to have tactile feedback. Things that Nintendo brought to the table as of late are just gimmicks to me and it is funny how they get idolized as sacred cow and Sony gets the double standard. Virtual touchscreen controls limits the genres and dumbs down the skill that gamers try to master with the controls. Hopefully, the SE XPERIA Play brings controls and real depth in games than the 5-min bursts and endless puzzle games. It can change things with Android and be that gamechanger for them. If only SE gave XPERIA Play most of the specs of the Motorola Atrix 4G, I would rather get that than a PSP2. As it stands, I will get the PSP2 later this year because I loved the first one. There are too many turn-offs with the current 3DS like its 3-5 hr battery life, price, same ugly/uncomfortable design, small screen, limited viewing angles, and the idea that glass-free 3D is just a gimmick like motion controls and people will get bored with it after the initial excitement. I would rather get a PSP2 first and have a PS2.5/PS3 in my pocket. I just hope the edges are round again. I will wait to see if SE can update the XPERIA Play next year with better hardware.

sony-ericsson-xperia-play,5-E-276242-3.jpg

blackberrypilot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Lol @ android flea market.

I had an EVO and while it was cool for a week, I didn't like the android OS. Everything is buggy and required a reboot once a day.

brando123b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
I think the iPhone is a great gaming device. I personally would never carry a seperate "Gaming" unit. The advantage of a phone is it is all in one. That is where the market is heading. Not two devices and buying games for $40-60.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.