I chose MBA over rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christophermdia, Jun 25, 2012.

1. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I had already decided that the rMBP was not really for me for a few reasons....however, I did struggle with having something so powerful in such a small package. Well, truth be told...I used to have a 15" MBP, and while they did shave some weight and volume...it was quite heavy like others stated, and it is also not so noticeably thin....This was an immediate detraction, but I said, this machine is really all about the screen....so I started to play around with it...opened itunes, crisp and clear, however not like, blow me away good. Opened a few other apps and it was the same....now when I got to Pages and Numbers, these were obviously not optimized well enough and were not very good looking ( i know there was an update and this computer said everything was up to date, so not sure there). But even the parts that were optimized just werent up to snuff. When I got my new loaded MBA, booted it up for the first time I looked at its screen and thought, how crisp, clear and bright everything was, now seeing the retina and going back to the air, I don't really feel any different.

This is not to detract people away from the rMBP, but rather than to help give an opinion to those struggling with this debate. Loaded MBA 13 vs rMBP Base, is pretty darn close in price, so it all comes down to features. On my MBA I have a Win 7 Bootcamp, which is blazing fast as well as the entire Adobe CS6 suite running on the mac side. With 8gb ram I am also able to run coherence mode with Win 7 without hiccups. Amazing little device! (I have had both a 2010 and a 2011, and still in awe of this computer).....

2. zerotiu macrumors regular

I'm used to think like you. But then I do some calculation. I only bring my current MBP maybe only 1-2 days per week. Sometimes never. That's why I order rMBP.

fyi, my early 08 mbp also can do slightly same as what you've mentioned (adobe cs5, windows7 virtual, a lot of chrome tabs, pdf, msWord) , with 2GB ram. Yes, there are hickups, but it's still acceptable for me.

What I'm trying to say is : for me they are like orange and apple. If you like to travel a lot, choose MBA /rMBP (if 2kgs is acceptable). If you don't like to travel, but you still do that sometimes, it's better to choose MBP/rMBP.

Performance wise : What is acceptable, what is not acceptable is different for one person to another. One is dual core, one is quad core. One is retina, one is not.

3. Melih macrumors member

4. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I had a very similar experience at both the Apple store and at a Best Buy. There was no one around the rMBP(s) at either store that day and I could move freely from Retina, to MBA to non-retina MBP. Under those very limited conditions, I could not see a noticeable difference between the rMBP in 1440x900 mode and the MBA. Except viewing angles, which are already pretty good for a non-IPS panel.

I spent some time on a second visit scaling the retina display to different resolutions and, at higher resolutions, I could see some added value.

As you can see from my signature, I'm not a Mac user today. Retina was going to be my reason to get a big brother for my iPhone and "new" iPad. But probably not. Ultimately it's going to come down to whether I want a 15" laptop or not.

5. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Congrats on a nice machine! We all have different needs and preferences and it sounds like you chose a machines that fits yours well.

6. axlvtt macrumors member

When compared with the non-retina MBP and any other MBP that came before it, the rMBP is in fact quite noticeably thin. Of course the Air is thinner and lighter, but that is because it doesn't pack the punch that the MBPs have. Let's have a look at the specs (Air / rMBP): 2.0GHz dual core / 2.7GHz quad core, 8GB memory / 16GB memory, same 512GB storage, Intel HD graphics 4000 / GeForce 650M. So of course it would still be heavier and thicker than the Air. It packs a lot more power. My point is, the Air and the rMBP serve different target audiences. Saying that the Air is a better choice overall than a rMBP because of weight and thinness does not make sense.

Let's not kid ourselves here. It seems like you are now trying your hardest to justify your purchase of the Air over the rMBP. The Air does have a really nice display, but don't be telling people that there isn't a difference.

In short, if you need the very best in portability (ultrabook), then the MBA is for you. If you need a powerful and fast non-gaming laptop that also comes with the best display all packed into an amazing chassis (notebook), then get the rMBP.

7. christophermdia thread starter macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Please dont misconstrue my post. I think the rMBP has a gorgeous screen, However, in my PERSONAL opinion, it did not WOW me. For comparison, the iPad3 screen WOWED me vs the iPad2 screen, there is an intense difference. MBA vs rMBP screen, yes there is a difference, and if you play with resolutions that difference can be substantial, but comparing standard res to standard res, not amazing. I dont need to justify any purchase, I have the money for either computer and then some, and sure, I chose the MBA on my current needs. If I need the extra horsepower/memory/graphics then that may have swayed me a bit as well. I have seen many posts that are rMBP vs MBA, so this was in response to those.

8. axlvtt macrumors member

A very well-written response. I apologize. I had to go back and re-read your original post, and I will admit to having jumped the gun a bit with my post. With that said, I think that the whole MBA vs rMBP argument is ridiculous. IMO, it is tantamount to comparing apples and oranges. They serve different needs and purposes, and I think that is something we both can and do agree on.

9. midtownhd macrumors member

no drastic upgrades between new airs and the previous versions, though.

10. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I disagreem because this is my struggle. Fortunately I have a year to figure it out. I would like a device to replace my 11" air and 15" pro in one. I like the thinness of the Air, but I do a lot of graphic design stuff in Quark and Photoshop and feel like I need the 15-inch screen over the 13-inch. That being said, my old 2008 handles both programs fine, so I don't need the power of the retina, nor do I care about the retina display that much. It'd be nice, but not necessary.

So if Apple had a 15" air, it'd be the perfect machine for me. But they don't. Hence the dilemma for me. And this makes the comparison necessary.

11. LoveAppl macrumors newbie

i think we just need a little longer time, because it seems thouse retenial resolution is not yet there but will be soon. so yes there might not be that much differense right now with retenial and non retenial displays because sampli many apps are still at old resolution but soon it must change so then it will be a very huge difference and spesialy when u will watch a true 4k video movies :)

p.s. also with a new i Pad i still do not think that OS5 has a true retenial resolution , i hope OS6 will fix that

12. axlvtt macrumors member

Then why not just go with the base retina? It's still pretty thin for a notebook and only weights 1.5 pounds more than the 13-inch Air.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

But if you don't have a previous generation Air, what difference does it make how much of an improvement it is from the last generation?

I also opted for the 2012 Air, but primarily because I prefer the form factor of the 11" Air. If Apple releases a Retina display Air, I'll probably purchase it.

----------

That's pretty significant. It weighs 50% more. It is also significantly larger. If it were a 13" Retina Pro that weighed 8 ounces more than the Air it would be a different story.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why in the world would you compare these 2 computers at the MBA standard resolution? If you bought the rMBP you would not use it at that resolution.

Your opinion has nothing to do with display. This is about portability.

I have a 13" MBA and I am moving to rMBP. Why, because the added weight is acceptable for the power boost I will receive.

I can carry my rMBP as easily as the MBA, I can leave it home. What I cannot do as easily, is pass it around or use it on a lap (which I dont do).

Bang for buck, I could not justify getting a new MBA when the rMBP is so much better.

15. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Just get both so you don't have to justify yourself to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

;)

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

amen!

----------

I just dont think that 3lbs vs. 4.5lbs is that significant but to each his own.

................................^^^^
    Does not seems so significant when you show the numbers in this manner does it.

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Weight is not so much of a factor as bulkiness is. The MBA fits into my bag, but the 15" MBP won't. It's got nothing to do with thinness or weight either. It just won't fit.

18. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Because price is also a factor. $2,200 is a lot for a computer you can't upgrade in the future.

19. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Don't think they changed panels but the 13" Macbook Air has the absolute worst viewing angles on all of the Macbooks and the worst contrast and color accuracy. The 11" is a much better panel.

The 13" Pro screen kills it.

#1) and ONLY reason I would not get a Macbook Air is the terrible panel on it.

/Owned a 2010 Macbook Air. Could not go back to that cheap TN panel.

20. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Really? Have you looked at the performance numbers? The increase in SSD speed (especially for the Toshiba SSD)? The increase in video speed?
    I think it's a great upgrade, even for 2011 users. All comes down to one's budget and usage.

I have a 2011 MBA 13/1.5/4/256 and will try the rMBP. I was never happy with the color/contrast of the MBA screen. I have tried numerous color profiles, which helped a lot, but still never made it perfect. I have yet to see the rMBP in person, and will before buying, but I think the difference will be very noticeable for me. I still like the weight of the air over the MBA, but I use it only around the house and take my iPad on the rare trips from home I make.
    If I don't like what I see, I will get another MBA with the 512 SSD and 8GB ram. That will be a nice bump from what I have now.

21. LoveAppl macrumors newbie

Get a different bag...

22. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

But I like this one.

23. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I don't understand why everyone says a 15" MBP is so "heavy" to carry around. I have carried mine every day all day for school for years and never felt it was heavy. I'm excited to get the rMBP which will be a little lighter, but weight was never a concern for me. It's true if you get a MBA it may feel like there's nothing on your back, but the added performance of the rMBP far "outweighs" the weight differences IMO.

Seriously, it's only 5 pounds

24. LoveAppl macrumors newbie

Ok :)

25. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

I agree totally. I've never understood this at all. Thick? Really?

I don't think people realize how thin even the CMBP really are. Try comparing the MBP to a run of the mill windows machine and then tell me it's thick.

It is only 24mm or only 6mm more than the RMBP. That is 6mm, or a quarter inch thicker than the thinnest or close to the thinnest 15 laptop on the market. Intel's ultrabook spec for a 14 inch or over laptop is 21mm. The CMBP almost qualifies as a 15 ultrabook by intel's standards!;)

It is still one of the thinnest 15 laptops on the market to this day. By no means is it 'thick' as some people claim. Not even close.

And it is less than a pound heavier than the 15 RMBP. Less than a pound. 4.7 lbs to 5.6 lbs. So how does that make it 'so heavy'? It is 5lbs. How is that heavy? Please tell me.