I cleaned the power adapter with water, now not functional?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johannnn, May 6, 2011.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Hi

My iPhone power adapter had fallen into dirt and I was cleaning it with water. I then let it dry for an hour and then put it into the wall. The phone did not charge. The adapter was also making some low frequent sound that it shouldn't do. This was a week ago. Now, it has been drying for a week but it still doesn't charge the phone.

Did something happen when I tried to use it and it was still wet? Is it possible to fix somehow or must I just throw it? How should I have reacted if I have to clean a power adapter again, just let it dry for more than an hour?

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Water + power cords = failure (generally).

It may have been ok had you let it sit longer than an hour, but you did not and it is likely fried. Check monoprice if you're the US and buy another. Next time wipe it with a cloth. How dirty could it have been that you would feel compelled to wash it?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

I did wipe it. And I waited an hour just in case that wasn't enough. But ye one hour isn't enough. As I said, it fell in dirt.

5. patp Guest

Common sense dictates: water and electronics do not mix well.

Thank goodness your iPhone didn't fall into some dirt.