I cloned my hard drive, Now what?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MaCnation, Sep 13, 2009.

1. MaCnation macrumors newbie

I got a new 500 Gig Seagate Barracuda, with a 32MB cache, and a 7200 RPM spindle speed from staples today and installed it and formatted it,no problem whatsoever. Used carbon copy cloner and cloned it, again absolutely no problem at all. My G5 is booted and running on the new drive right now.
    What I need to know is how to make the machine boot off the new cloned seagate, by default, instead of the old western digital.

My first thought was to just switch the new seagate with the old western digital, effectively putting the new drive in the old one's place, except I wasn't sure what this would do. What is the correct way to make the G5 boot from this drive?

The other question I have is that I would like to use the old western digital as a temporary location for a dedicated OS backup. By Os backup I mean only the OS and none of the items in the user folder(at some point in the near future I plan on replacing the old western digital with a dual partitioned 1 TB and using this as the OS backup location as well as storage for my user folder items).
    To do this I assume i just have to deselect the "User folder" in the carbon copy software, true?
    Should I wait for a bit and make sure the seagate is going to work correctly before I go and change the western digitals image? Anybody have a better suggestion for anything?
    Thanks

I must say that this has been the "hardest" thing i've attempted yet and it was a very pleasant experience. once again I am proud to say that I use a Mac!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

To change which hard drive it starts up from, try System Preferences > Startup Disk

3. MaCnation thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No problem, glad I could help :)

5. MaCnation thread starter macrumors newbie

You don't get this kind of quality help on the windows forums. I'm glad I found Macrumors :D