Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cottonjenn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
I have an iPad Mini 4 purchased this past December. My free iCloud Storage space is almost filled up. What exactly goes into the cloud, is it photos? I’ve had an iPad Mini for five years, a 16GB with no iCloud issues. I have an iPhone 6, 64GB for a year with no iCloud issues. Now I have a new iPad Mini 4, 132GB for three months and now I’m getting notices that my free iCloud is practically filled up but I can increase it for .99cents a month. I noticed my iCloud Photo Library on the new iPad is on. I’m thinking that should be turned off. I only have 117 photos on my new iPad Minin4. Should I go for the .99cents monthly or will turning off the Photo Library help.

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
I have an iPad Mini 4 purchased this past December. My free iCloud Storage space is almost filled up. What exactly goes into the cloud, is it photos? I’ve had an iPad Mini for five years, a 16GB with no iCloud issues. I have an iPhone 6, 64GB for a year with no iCloud issues. Now I have a new iPad Mini 4, 132GB for three months and now I’m getting notices that my free iCloud is practically filled up but I can increase it for .99cents a month. I noticed my iCloud Photo Library on the new iPad is on. I’m thinking that should be turned off. I only have 117 photos on my new iPad Minin4. Should I go for the .99cents monthly or will turning off the Photo Library help.
[doublepost=1520656454][/doublepost]Photos are part of iCloud. Do you use iCloud for backup purposes for your devices? Are the other mini you mentioned and iPhone setup of the same iTunes account? If they are and you use iCloud for backup the cumulative backups and other icloud items are what is pushing close to using up the free iCloud storage.

Askolan

Suspended
Feb 21, 2017
I was skeptical, but the $0.99 a month is well worth it. Anything I put into it on my laptop goes right to my iPad and iPhone and vice versa. That alone was worth it for me. I also started using it to offload unused apps, photos, etc to the cloud to free up space on my devices (it even does this for mac, all automatically.)

The only downside is that 50gb isn't really all that much and other companies offer more space for less, albeit with much less interplay between iOS and mac OS products. I couldn't make that compromise so I will happily stick with iCloud.

MacknTosh

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
Why not go to iCloud storage and see what is using your space? If you have had previous iPhones or iPads, there may be backups of these old devices that you can delete.

cottonjenn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
I don’t think I signed into Cloud unless I hit something I wasn’t aware of. I cannot figure out what’s in the cloud. Guess I’m confused at what I’m looking at. I figured with 132GB I wouldn’t have any storage issues. I’ll have to go to the Apple store so they can explain what I’m not understanding.

MacknTosh

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
You must have an iCloud account if you are getting messages that your free 5GB is almost full. On your iPhone select "settings". The top of the list (above 'Airplane Mode') will be your name, which you should tap, scroll down and tap 'iCloud", and then tap 'manage storage'. You will then get a list of how much storage you have, how much is free, and beneath that a list of what apps are storing data on iCloud. You can delete anything you don't need to free up space (like backups of phones/ipads that you no longer have).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.