I completely messed up my dock :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by randy312, Apr 29, 2011.

1. randy312 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

my dock currently looks like that.. and the areas where there are spaces on the side are my finder and trash. i know theres another finder icon but it's bugging me because the one right next to it is the finder but there isn't any icon.
    i messed everything up with the candybar thing is there any way i can just delete everything and restore my dock to the way it was when i first bought it?!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

First thing to try is to delete ~/Library/com.apple.Dock.plist (~ denotes your user folder, in case you're not familiar with the notation), and then restart. That will recreate that file with the default contents. If that doesn't work, you'll have to do a reinstall probably, unless you saved the original Dock.app files (which is always recommended, even when using CandyBar or similar apps). If you use Time Machine, then you can get it from there, assuming you didn't intentionally exclude System Files.

jW

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

4. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

I would personally back up my files through Time Machine onto an external hard drive and then look for the intall discs that came with your Mac. After that, insert the operating system disc and do a fresh-restall of the OS. After your done with that, just use the migrant Assistant to transfer all your files and settings (but before this, if you believe an application or something of that sort has caused the problem, delete that before you save your files on Time Machine).

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

You can restore icons and the dock in CandyBar. Just open CandyBar.app>Menubar>Change>Check Dock. Do the same thing and then when at Change>Click Restore Dock. Do the same for your icons. You can either restore all of them or just drag out the icons you replaced that are giving you problems.