I connect to a Wifi network, but I cant access the internet.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PoloDude, Jan 18, 2009.

1. PoloDude macrumors newbie

When I am walking in the street and my Ipod Touch connects to a network. But once I load up Safari, it says it cant load because it isnt connected to the internet.

How can I make the internet work?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The very fact that it's clearly not your own Wi Fi explains a lot; many, if not all, routers allow the owner to reconfigure them so that if anyone else logs in the internet itself won't work, even if it's apparently getting signal from the router.

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

If the network was secured it wouldn't even let you connect. It could simply be that whoever's network it is, just doesn't have DHCP enabled. So your iPhone is actually connecting to their router, but is not receiving an IP, Gateway, DNS etc... because they don't have DHCP on.

5. Zapbranagan macrumors newbie

I am having a similar problem. I have a 2gen 32gb ipod touch. When I am in areas with free public access, it connects but safari won't work. And yes the ip address was there, DNS and router. And yes I did renew lease and resetted the network settings. I have tried at different public access areas and same thing. It does work when I am at home and when I am friends with wireless.

I also have Boingo app, which when I am near there hotspots it should automatically connect me. But I've gone to there hotspots and nothing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've done alot of research on this.

I did find a thread with people having the same problem. They could connect at home but not in free public access areas. It is apparently an internal issue, they exchanged there's for new ones and had no problems with it after. I'd debating doing the same.

6. thornev macrumors member

I don't know if this is the problem everyone's having, but just connecting to a network is not enough to use it if there is more than one network. One has to select the network to use by touching its name such that a check mark appears to the left of the network name. THEN you are connected. thorne

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Perhaps you are connecting to a wireless network that at the time is itself not connected to the internet. For example, even in your own home your wifi network may be activated any yet you are not connected to the internet (perhaps your ethernet line is disconnected, whatever).

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Some connections just don't work. Sometimes there's a reason sometimes there isn't. I know that at my school there are some connects that I can connect to but internet doesn't work because what I'm connecting to is a smart board.