I could really do with some help, deciding whether to buy an iPhone in the UK.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mkz, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Mkz macrumors regular

Mkz

Hi there, I've been looking around into buying an iPhone for some time now. But first of all id just like to apologise if any of my questions have already been answered! Although I have not been able to find their answers myself.

First of all.

I want an iPhone, but obviously I dont want to pay O2's ridiculous monthly fee in the UK. I would much rather buy an iPhone and hack it. I would like to know if its possible or if there is any point doing the following:

1. Buying the iPhone, hacking it, sticking in my Orange SIM Card (Would it work? And is it worth it?)
    2. Waiting until January and see what the new model of the iPhone is like, that they will most likely announce?
    3. Waiting until Orange announce the iPhone on their network? (Can/Will they do that? Do O2 only have the rights to the iPhone for a certain amount of time or?)

Thanks for your help, its really much appreciated!

Max.

2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Wait 2 years and they will be much cheaper.

And if you do get an iPhone, remember to pick up a placard displaying...

"PLEASE MUG ME NOW"

;)

3. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Get an unlocked one from the frogs accross the channel once it's out like I'm planning to :)

4. Mkz thread starter macrumors regular

Mkz

2 Years is along time, ofcourse they will be cheaper. It still doesnt answer my questions :p

True about the mugging part though..

5. headspace macrumors member

You cant fully unlock a UK iPhone yet. However, you can quite easily jailbreak it and use any O2 SIM which gives you the option of any of their tarrifs and therefore avoiding the £35 rip-off.

I doubt we will see a new iPhone that soon. Then again, you never know.

If they do, it won't be for several years. Some have reported that O2 have exclusivity for 5 years, so waiting would be crazy with no guarantees who gets access to it after that.

--

Your best bet if you really want an iPhone is to either buy now and jailbreak and switch to an O2 tarrif of your choice, or wait a bit longer until a full unlock is available for the UK phones so you will be able to use your Orange SIM.

6. Mkz thread starter macrumors regular

Mkz

Thanks alot mate, you were alot of help!

I think I will just stick to swapping my old phone for a Smartphone :p since swapping to O2 isnt an option.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Big difference between the 1st and 3rd generation iPods, in both features and most importantly price.

November 2009 the iPhone will have to compete on price, instead of simply novelty/look at me value.

By then i might actually buy one, or a 64BG iPod Touch.