I could really use some help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by risa, Sep 4, 2007.

1. risa macrumors newbie

I have two macs both 12" powerbook g4 my first one worked fine for awhile and then one day i turned it on and all that showed up was a blinking folder icon with a mac face and a question mark. I just restarted the computer a few times and it would always work but now all I get is the blinking icon. Ive been reading everything i could find, the computer wont let me start in safe mode or single user mode and i tried using the software install and it gets to the point where i see the apple but then a bunch of white lines go across the screen and it freezes. also tried re setting the pmu

My other mac will now only go to a blank gray screen when it starts. Other than trying to start it in safe mode i havent done much with that mac yet mostly because everything is on the first one.

I could really use some help here. If anything i'd just like to know if theres a way to get everything off of my one computer before it just dies.

Thanks
    Risa

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Bugger. See if you can get the second Mac up and running with the OSX discs and then try transferring your data via Target Disk Mode, if possible. Do you have access to a third (working) Mac, or an external Firewire drive? :)

3. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

I have no idea if this helps but if you have another of the same model is it possible to get the HD out of the dead one and put it in the good laptop in order to transfer the stuff off of it?

Or even take the drive out and find a tech place that can hook it up and off load the stuff on it. I don't know if these are good ideas or not.

Good luck :)