I could use some advice on what to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OUTofPRINT, Jul 8, 2009.

1. OUTofPRINT macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2009
    I could use some help. I would like to buy a Mac, but I'm not sure what to get. This will be my first Mac, and I don't really know what would be best for me. I'm 16 years old, and I would like to do some video and music editing. I also want to write some iPhone apps. I am considering the 24" iMac, the 13" and 15" MacBook Pros, and a Mac Mini.

An iMac would be great because of the lack of clutter (because everything is inside the iMac,) the large screen, and the extra power. I would either get the lower end 24" or the middle 24". I plan to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it comes out. Will there be a big difference between the 9400M and the GT120 with OpenCL? When I first decided that I wanted a Mac, I planned to get an iMac.

The MacBook Pro would be good for the portability. The reduced power would be a bummer, but I'm not sure how much of a difference I would see compared to the iMac.

The only reason I'm considering the Mac Mini is the price. I would hate to give up the power, but it's so much cheaper than the other options. I would only get it because I can almost afford it right now. I would use my 1440*900, 19 inch monitor that I use right now.

I made a spreadsheet comparing each option as I would configure it.

I have some stuff to figure out, but I think I will have between $1,100 and $1,200. I don't have a job right now, but I'm hoping to get one soon.

So again, which one do you guys think would be best for what I would do with it?
  2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

May 20, 2009
    Well, I would say iMac simply because you don't really need the portability right now (you will for college but in high school not so much). I wouldn't go with the mac mini simply because apple monitors are really nice especially if you do video editing. iMac offers the best in screen size, power, and affordability for a first time mac user in my opinion. As for which one of the iMacs you listed...ehhh...I might go with the lower cost one just because you said you were on a budget and with the technology changing so fast I don't think you will find it worth the upgrade especially as a novice user. Best of luck on your decision.
  3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

May 22, 2009
    Get the iMac and use your 19in monitor to extend you desktop.

Or save money and get a Mac Mini.
  4. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I think the iMac is a really good deal in general, and would go with that in your situation.
  5. rgarjr macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
    I would either get an iMac or a MBP. The Macbooks are cool cuz you can take them everywhere u go.
  6. OUTofPRINT thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2009
    That's a really good idea. I never thought of that.

And does anybody know how big a difference the graphics card would make in the middle iMac? With OpenCL coming soon, I feel like the graphics card might be worth the money. What do you guys think? You're probably a lot more knowledgeable about this stuff than me.
  7. OUTofPRINT thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2009
  8. OUTofPRINT thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2009
    Anybody have an answer to my question about the graphics card?
  9. suekitch macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm afraid I don't have an answer about the graphics card, but I've found the 9400 to be a nice enough card so far, I mess about with video, photo and a bit of gaming (WoW and Sims 3 so nothing major) and I have a 13" MBP and a 24" base model iMac.

I honestly think the base model 24" iMac represents fantastic value for money especially with student discount (you should be eligible for some discount I think? Higher Education is the highest % but I think you get some at 16?).

Getting a desktop now is a wise move, you could still be using it by the time you go to college/uni if you plan to do that, and then you can supplement your existing setup with a nice Mac laptop too.

For extended computer use I do much prefer a desktop personally, though of course that depends on the person - and you'll definitely appreciate a bigger screen for video editing!

I own both the 13" MBP and a 24" iMac and my iMac is my favourite. I kinda miss being away from it at the moment. I do need portability too, like now, I'm away from my iMac but I can still do all my Maccy things and use MobileMe to keep my work all together, so it's just great. It's so fast, and I love having an immense hard drive.

Oh, I miss my iMac! We'll be reunited on Sunday! :D
  10. OUTofPRINT thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2009
    Yeah, my sister's in college right now, so I think I'll be able to use her student discount. I don't think I can get any discounts right now. I guess I'll get the iMac. I've had several desktops, and that's always worked for me (except for the whole Windows thing). I'm planning to install Windows using Boot Camp so I can play games. How good is the 9400M?
  11. Pugpuppydude macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2008
    It is descent. It performed pretty well with Call of Duty 4 on the mid-range graphics setting. It is a little laggy in photoshop though with 3D rendering ect.. It's pretty good.