i couldnt help but laugh at this apple salesman!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rdsxrule117, Jan 8, 2009.

1. rdsxrule117 macrumors newbie

so i was in the apple store the other day with a friend and was just playing on an ipod touch, and a kid next to me was talking to a salesman, and the salesman was telling him all this stuff to try and convince him to upgrade to 2.0, and throughout the pitch, i could easily tell the whole thing was rehearsed, but what really made me laugh was when he said "this is the next gaming system."
    The ipod touch 2G is not the next gaming system. maybe the 4G or even 3G, but its not there yet. the thing has barely any ram, no dedicated graphics, and the most important part, it has no buttons! no matter how hard people try, you can't make the equivalent of a decent psp game on a 3.5inch touchscreen. i think the only reason they're marketing it as a gaming system is because if they market it as an 'almost iphone' then iphone sales would go down.
    Gaming on the ipod touch is not exactly casual, except for some, but it is not true gaming. the high end games, like a lot from gameloft and ea, are in between casual and true, but can't come close to true without buttons.
    what apple should do is introduce an ipod touch that has joysticks and buttons, and market that as its gaming system. give it everything the ipod touch has, and then have nvidia graphics or something (dont correct me if nvidia doesnt do those kinds of graphics, i just took a guess) and plenty of ram. bump up the price to 300 for 8 gigs, 400 for 16, etc, and heck, give it a mini display port!

what do you guys thingk

2. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

Apple can't even put that in a Mac Mini, yet alone something a 10th its size.

3. maclook macrumors 65816

i think he should have laughed at you. what youre asking for is outrageous (price/joystick/buttons)... apple didnt initially make the touch to directly compete with the psp/ds. its being marketed as a gaming platform because the app store allowed developers to make it one. it's a portable gaming system (though that's not really it's primary function). it's got great graphics for what it is and some developers have done awesome things with the interface.

4. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Apple salesmen say everything like they've been forced to memorize exactly what to say. Ahahahaa, they scare me like that. It reminds me of this weirdo I went to school with.

5. waffle911 macrumors regular

Gaming wise, the iTouch 2g is the most powerful out of all of Apple's multi-touch portable devices. It is capable of doing great things, as long as those things don't involve actually useful buttons or a joystick or whatever.
    But wait until Apple unveils that the iTouch had Bluetooth all along, and then peripheral makers are going to make Bluetooth clip-on controller peripherals just so that you can have that quintessential physical input for those particular games that are too cool for touchscreens. Or better yet, Apple will make one themselves and sell it to you for the wholly reasonable price of $59.99. (/sarcasm)

6. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

This argument all depends on what you define as 'true' gaming. If true gaming means only the latest and greatest stuff like Gears of War or Call of Duty 4 pushing millions of polygons per second then no the iPhone is not a 'true' gaming device, with 'true' meaning hardcore. The iPhone has some decent quality games, most are smaller right now because developers are still testing the waters in the app store.

I had a Nintendo DS when it first came out, and there were practically no good games for it, let alone 'true' games for it. The App store is only 3 months old and developers have not worked on any game for more than 6 months, whereas a game on any other platform usually has a development cycle of 2-3 years. If you compare an early 360 game to one that is out now the difference is astonishing. Developers just have to get the hang of the platform before they can push it to its limit.

And either way the iPhone is still a gaming platform to me and many other people who enjoy playing games on it, and don't want to be bothered carrying around a comparably giant gaming device such as a PSP or DS.

7. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

I think you should go back to Jr. High instead of the Apple store.

The iPod Touch/iPhone does have a discrete graphics chip, and the iPod Touch 2G has the highest clock rate CPU of the devices.

Do you even know how much "ram" an XBox 360 has? A lot less than this several year old iMac I am using.

And according to this very site, the next OS will have multi-core support. So logically the next gen devices will be even better casual gaming devices.

You know I still can't find a Wii in a store several years after launch, and it doesn't even have a Blu-ray drive or take up as much space as a 1st gen VCR! How can this be??? Maybe its the casual gameplay aspects instead of the specs? Nawwww!

8. chilihead7 macrumors newbie

well sucks for you bc apple is already selling millions of games apps from their store. theyve had over $1bill in revenue, so yeah. i would say its considered a gaming system, even if you dont say so

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We Think Different. Ever hear that quote from Henry Ford? Paraphrased: "If I had listened to what people wanted, I would have given them a faster horse, not an automobile.

Get used to touchscreen interfaces. No mainstream computing interface will use physical buttons in 15 years.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

we wont even be using touchscreen keyboards or mice, hand gestures and projected keyboards are the way forward :) oh i forgot, Microsoft will still exist, in which case we'll all probably still be using XP 128 bit by then Xtreme Dragged Out Edition and crappy USB 3.0 ports, sorry guys for getting your hopes up.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The iPod Touch is the next gen gaming device. Yes it is for casual gaming, but then so is any handheld gaming device. I have yet to meet anyone who will sit there with a PSP for ten hours like some do with a PS3 or 360.

You want to know the PSP's clock speed? 333mhz.
    You want to know the DS's clock speed? 67mhz + 33mhz.
    You want to know the iPod Touches clock speed? 533mhz.

You want to know the PSP's RAM? 64mb.
    You want to know the DS's RAM? 4mb.
    You want to know the Touches RAM? 128mb.

You were saying?

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

For me the Pippin will be the one and only Apple gaming system. :p :cool: