I couldn't record the directions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ron7624, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Years ago before cell phones, I had a small suction cup microphone that I used in conjunction with a small tape recorder for recording telephone conversations. I used this device to make my life easier.
    Fast forward to today.
    My wife is giving me rather intricate instructions to a family reunion destination. Intuitively, I opened the voice recorder on my 5 and I pushed the record button assuming I would be able to record those directions. Instead I got a message telling me the record function was disabled.
    Crap. Yet another law suit driven inconvenience that should not exist.
    I'm bummed. :mad:
    My iPhone has a capability to record the voice call that I'm on yet is prohibited from doing so. This is plain wrong on so many levels.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In most places recording a phone conversation is illegal (not about frivolous law suits) unless meeting certain criteria.

3. 617aircav Suspended

When was the iphone or any phone able to record calls? Also the voice recorder was never designed to record phone calls.

4. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I had a small Nolia 6510 if I recall correctly that could record calls out the box! Some android roms have this feature for their phones.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

I know people who attach little suction cup microphones to their phone to record the conversation when needed. The iphone should allow this; it's not about technology as the technology already exists.

6. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

It is only illegal because a law was written to make it illegal. Not withstanding frivolous or not. That was not my point. The point is that the government once again makes a convenience unusable.
    I can see no reason why I should not be able to make voice notes of a telephone call just like I could make pencil notes.
    The tech is there, we are simply not allowed to use it..

----------

Sure I could. Again not my point. The older analog phones did not have that capability. A modern day smartphone has the capability easily accessed by adding a few liners of code.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

Even though I thought about that, I have never done a jailbreak in the past. There has never been a real reason to for me.
    All I wanted to do was record some directions that were complicated that were being dictated to me. I have not had the need to record something in a very very long time and I probably won't need to record anything for another very long time.
    Besides I'm updated to 7.1 so I couldn't jailbreak if I wanted to, yet.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, unfortunately if you're on 7.1 then currently you don't have that option.

10. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Have her dictate the directions into a voice to text app (they must exist!) and email it to you. She can also leave you a voicemail message. So, there are ways around this. Recording of phone conversations is illegal for a reason. It is considered invasion of privacy if the other person does not know you are doing it.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

The technology already exists to record stealth ie suction cup mic.

However just because the other person might not know it's permanently disabled? What about the cases the other person agrees.

12. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

Again, not the point. All of that trouble does not have to be done. Only one button needs to be pushed to accomplish my need and my gripe is that the government once again as interjected in our lives an additional way to be inconvenienced.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

We(at least me) understand the point. You wanted the discussion to stop after your first post?

14. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

Of course not but I wish that someone would understand what I was talking about and possibly agree.....
    Maybe even run for President on that platform and vow a change ;)

15. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Seems simpler to me to have the address sent to you, open into the maps app of your choice and done.

16. ron7624, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

More reasonable? Yes
    Simpler? No
    As often as I have tutored my wife in the ways of Maps, or any mapping program's for that matter, it is usually a lost cause. Additionally, that is the first thing I asked anyone for when they are trying to give me directions.
    Pushing a button and saving the convo would be simple. I still think that it is a shame that is not possible because of restrictions imposed.
    But that's just me, it appears that the populace has succumbed to the restrictions and no longer questions them.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Not that this is a direct answer to what you want, but are you aware that you can make a voice memo and send it? Your wife can record the directions and text them to you. I realize she has trouble with iPhones, but if my nearly seventy year old mom can do it, I am sure she can managed. It's as simple as making the recording, hitting the little send button at the bottom, and pickng the contact to text it to.

Anyway, just another option to get you closer to your goal.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like all this about voice directions is just an excuse to me. He rather save and listen to a conversation than click on an address and have the turn by turn directions via GPS available:D
    In short he just wants to be able to record his phone conversations without the other person knowing about it;)

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Those are basically the available workarounds. Sure they aren't the same thing as recording a conversation, but that isn't available or even possible without a jailbreak perhaps.

Rpeatedly saying it should be there and how crazy it is that it isn't there won't make it appear there and won't really do anything even if people post to agree--it won't change the fact that it's not there and likely won't be there and the same workarounds that have been proposed are the things that can be used.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Reading through this thread I'm reminded of how horrible directions usually are. It's almost ALWAYS easier for me to just get the address and use my own navigation software or knowledge of the area to find the address.

As for the ability to record conversations...well...it isn't there for a reason and I understand why it's not legal.

21. Newtons Apple, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am afraid times have changed and these days addresses/contacts are emailed and you simply touch the address and the maps program will guide you right to the door step.

It used to be that you COULD record conversations but the device had to "beep" every 15 seconds to warn the parties that they were being recorded.

22. Deguello macrumors 6502

It's not illegal in most places. 38 states are one-party consent states. That is, as long as one person knows the call is being recorded, it is legal to do so. The other states are all-party consent, so even in those states it would be legal to record the phone call with his wife.