Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
image.jpg

While I hadn't had the time to peek into a recently obtained Imac G4 15", I couldn't resist this 17" G5, which has a flaw on its TFT, which was bundled with a semi-operated twin of its kind, both for US30.00.

It came in a status which an OS X was halfway installed and is now demanding for the 2nd disc to be inserted!

I inserted a Disc 1 of 10.3, also tried disc 2, both did not seem to get the process running.

I checked EveryMac and it stated that for this model, 10.4 was preinstalled. I then tried a copy of 10.5, which had taken me to the installer screen. But I dnt want to install 10.5.

I would like to install 10.3 or 10.4... I dnt have the 10.4 in a disc yet, I tried to give it a run via USB ...it ddnt work.

What I wish to know is, whether this G5 which came with 10.4 preinstalled, will and would be able to run 10.3..... Cheers.

Last edited:

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I know it's kinda cheating on the PPC subforum, but I scored this first gen intel iMac for $30 free shipping off ebay a week or so ago. Plans in the future is a Core 2 Duo swap and a new LCD (if I can find one sub-$120). Works great with SL!

Anywho, that is a iSight iMac G5 you have, and Tiger or Leopard are your only choices. Panther is out of the question unless you have the first rev. from 2004. Why not Tiger on the iMac G4 and Leopard on the G5?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 137

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
That's a cool intel Mac..

I know it's kinda cheating on the PPC subforum, but I scored this first gen intel iMac for $30 free shipping off ebay a week or so ago. Plans in the future is a Core 2 Duo swap and a new LCD (if I can find one sub-$120). Works great with SL!

Anywho, that is a iSight iMac G5 you have, and Tiger or Leopard are your only choices. Panther is out of the question unless you have the first rev. from 2004. Why not Tiger on the iMac G4 and Leopard on the G5?

Hey, thanks for your reply.

Nah...it doesn't matter ....you are just sharing your thrill of obtaining one of these yesteryear Macs. Yours looks good. I was looking for an Intel too but couldn't pass this.

Getting the LCD would be the task now. True, that is an iSight Mac and I have a spare of most of the parts, hopefully the parts are functioning.

Only Tiger and Leopard....no wonder the Panther didn't kick in! Yeap, the G4 certainly will flaunt Panther, but the G4 can't boot right now....

However, since that's the case, I will try to load Tiger in a disc and try my luck. I dnt want to run Leopard because, I've got four other 10.5.8's running. Alas, if all fails, then, Leopard it is for the Imac G5.

Twas nice to hear from a fellow Mac fan, who has A Mac which is almost identical, but worlds apart... Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
We had a 1.9 iSight iMac that had its screen go useless over time with lines. A friends one died from bad onboard ram so I swapped the screens over and now have one working again :D :apple: Only thing not working is the iSight camera but hey better than nothing :apple:

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
We had a 1.9 iSight iMac that had its screen go useless over time with lines. A friends one died from bad onboard ram so I swapped the screens over and now have one working again :D :apple: Only thing not working is the iSight camera but hey better than nothing :apple:

iSight is no biggie.... There are tonnes of external web cams... Good for u, u obtained a decent replacement LCD :)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The iSight G5 wants a minimum of 10.4.2 so a stock 10.4 disk won't work.

It should be able to install from USB, I would think. Just restore Tiger to a usb stick. Insert the stick, boot to Open Firmware and type

boot ud:,\\:tbxi

Worked on a Powerbook G4 for me, albeit with Leopard.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
The iSight G5 wants a minimum of 10.4.2 so a stock 10.4 disk won't work.

It should be able to install from USB, I would think. Just restore Tiger to a usb stick. Insert the stick, boot to Open Firmware and type

boot ud:,\\:tbxi

Worked on a Powerbook G4 for me, albeit with Leopard.

Oh dear, true enough.... now i remember looking at the specs at EveryMac. This G5 comes preinstalled with 10.4.2, darn, no wonder it spat out the 10.4 disc, i thought there was an error while burning the disc.

However, that being the case, i had a couple of hours ago installed 10.5 and its running smoothly. Hmm, any idea on as to how do i get 10.4.2 installed..

Can i install 10.4 in my Power Mac G4, push it to 10.4.2 and then clone the 10.4.2 to the HDD in my Imac G5. Target disc mode or something !

I know that my P/Mac G4 will be able to run 10.4 coz i am running it with a triple boot of Panther, Leopard and OS 9.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Oh dear, true enough.... now i remember looking at the specs at EveryMac. This G5 comes preinstalled with 10.4.2, darn, no wonder it spat out the 10.4 disc, i thought there was an error while burning the disc.

However, that being the case, i had a couple of hours ago installed 10.5 and its running smoothly. Hmm, any idea on as to how do i get 10.4.2 installed..

Can i install 10.4 in my Power Mac G4, push it to 10.4.2 and then clone the 10.4.2 to the HDD in my Imac G5. Target disc mode or something !

I know that my P/Mac G4 will be able to run 10.4 coz i am running it with a triple boot of Panther, Leopard and OS 9.

You could Target Disk Mode install 10.4 then run the combo updater for PPC from another Mac onto the iMac while still in Target Disk Mode.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
You could Target Disk Mode install 10.4 then run the combo updater for PPC from another Mac onto the iMac while still in Target Disk Mode.

Very good idea. Also, USB booting is a definite possibility. I almost bought one of these G5s, but I got an Alum for free.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Where did you get an Aluminum model ... For free?

An older couple had graphic card issues with it and I said for them to take it to Apple since it had AppleCare. They decided to buy a new one since they are loaded. I asked about the old one and they packaged it up and gave it to me. Thats also where I got my G4 iMac. I baked the graphics card at 400 degrees for 10mins twice, with a 15 minute resting period in between.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
An older couple had graphic card issues with it and I said for them to take it to Apple since it had AppleCare. They decided to buy a new one since they are loaded. I asked about the old one and they packaged it up and gave it to me. Thats also where I got my G4 iMac. I baked the graphics card at 400 degrees for 10mins twice, with a 15 minute resting period in between.

They turned down a free repair since they had AppleCare in favor of getting a new one when their's was under 3 years old? Wow!

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

You have a few options. Have a search on eBay for the Install Disk Media set that came with your iMac model or look for a later retail copy of Tiger. 10.4.0 was just the first version. It got reissued a couple of times with updates.

Alternatively, make your own updated installer using Apple's System Image Utility within Apple's Server Admin Tools

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
They turned down a free repair since they had AppleCare in favor of getting a new one when their's was under 3 years old? Wow!

To be fair, it was an Early 2008 and they had the same issue and it was repaired. These people, when its time to get their tires rotated and their oil changed, they buy a new car.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Wow... So it was the second go round of repairs on this Mac?

Yeah, it was in immaculate condition. The mouse wasn't used (they liked their iMac G4's better) so the plastic on the USB plug was still there. And, the iMac G4's install CD's seal was broken by me.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah, it was in immaculate condition. The mouse wasn't used (they liked their iMac G4's better) so the plastic on the USB plug was still there. And, the iMac G4's install CD's seal was broken by me.

I am guessing you are waiting on their new iMac to go so you can get that one? It is fantastic that they give it to you like that!

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

Hi, now i'd say its kind of cheating on a PPC forum, but i am guess it should be ok.... I obtained a core duo 1.83 17' Imac, just like yours ! its the one on the right. However this iMac has a flaw too, but not as bad as the G5.

I have let the G5 go....i put it on line for sale....gone in a couple of hours...received a good price...triple the price than what i obtained the G5 and the extra g5 which was for spare parts.

The only Imac G5 which i have now is the incomplete G5, which can be seen at the edge of the first pic...cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2483 copy.jpg
    IMG_2483 copy.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2489 copy.jpg
    IMG_2489 copy.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2493 copy.jpg
    IMG_2493 copy.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 101

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
I also feel like a cheater, because I received my 1st Gen 20" Intel iMac for free. The machine needed a cleaning, but it works just great. My father received it from his boss, knowing that I could do something productive with it. It came with a Apple wired aluminum keyboard which was full of gunk and was totally wrecked, and a Mighty mouse that was really fidgety (and still is).

The best part about getting it for free was it had everything maxed out. It was made to order with a 2.16GHZ Core 2 Duo, 500GB HD, 4GB of RAM, and a 256MB ATI Radeon x1600. I am going to rearrange the desk so my Quicksilver can have some fame as well.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I also feel like a cheater, because I received my 1st Gen 20" Intel iMac for free. The machine needed a cleaning, but it works just great. My father received it from his boss, knowing that I could do something productive with it. It came with a Apple wired aluminum keyboard which was full of gunk and was totally wrecked, and a Mighty mouse that was really fidgety (and still is).

The best part about getting it for free was it had everything maxed out. It was made to order with a 2.16GHZ Core 2 Duo, 500GB HD, 4GB of RAM, and a 256MB ATI Radeon x1600. I am going to rearrange the desk so my Quicksilver can have some fame as well.

I wish I could buy one of these cheaply as a project!

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
I wish I could buy one of these cheaply as a project!

Yes believe it or not, I was looking for a project at this time. When my father told me his boss would give me the iMac, I thought it was going to be a G4 or a G3. I was really surprised when he got home and pulled it from his car! It is a wonderful machine, and I am thinking of putting my PowerMac Quicksilver next to it. What do you think, Altemose?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yes believe it or not, I was looking for a project at this time. When my father told me his boss would give me the iMac, I thought it was going to be a G4 or a G3. I was really surprised when he got home and pulled it from his car! It is a wonderful machine, and I am thinking of putting my PowerMac Quicksilver next to it. What do you think, Altemose?

You could stick it next to it. I personally love the look of the PowerMac G5s along with the first aluminum iMacs.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

Good for u, 20" intel for free, I'd feel as if u found some treasure...ha ha, I know dats hw I feel every time I obtain a Mac.
I was trying so hard to get one of these 20" but it disappears as soon it is put on sale.... Good luck with 20".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.