I couldnt select my external HD using CCC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rederstorm, Feb 21, 2009.

1. rederstorm macrumors newbie

rederstorm

I recently got an external HD (250GB) and thought about backing up my files using the Carbon Copy Cloner application that copies your entire hard drive EXACTLY how it is to another source.

I tried to do this but when it came to selecting my external hard drive to hold the backup i wasnt able to select it.

Its a 3.5 e'SATA II APEX PLUS 250GB hard drive (if thats even what its called)

My worst thought is that this HD isnt compatable with CCC, but i hope that isnt the case.

Could someone give me a hand here and help me solve this problem?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Did you format the drive as HFS? Maybe it's FAT32. If it's not firewire and sold as Pc/Mac it's probably formatted for windows. Just open disk utility and format it as HFS.

3. rederstorm thread starter macrumors newbie

rederstorm

Yeah i tried reformating it then tried it again, even though it was shown on the list i couldnt select it again.

But then i actually figured out that i was doing it wrong, i shouldnt of even posted on the forum it was a stupid mistake :p.

I didnt select the 'new image' option because i thought just selecting the HD is what you needed to do, but i was wrong but have corrected it now.

Im backing up around 40GB's of data, how long would you say it would take? lol, 2 hours? 3 hours tops?

And thanks for the help :), made me realize my mistake

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

First time always takes the longest. I use SuperDuper, not CCC, but I'd expect similar times. 40 gig I'd guess 2 hours.

5. rederstorm thread starter macrumors newbie

rederstorm

I might try that out if its free.

the transfer has been stuck on 3.9GB for 20 minutes even though it still says its going, i dont know whether to leave it for a few more hours or use another program.

What do ya think?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

It may be going through files that don't need to be copied, like the swap files. SuperDuper has a progress window that shows what's happening, not sure aout CCC.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If you are running Parallels or Fusion, the virtual machine file is huge- and the file progress will not update until that single file completes, so that is not beyond imagination.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The progress bar on CCC doesn't always update. Allow it to go for a while.

On a side note, I can't image cloning via USB 2. I use FW800 for about 450GB. Takes about 2.5 hours. USB is so much slower.

Yes, CCC does pause occasionally when cloning the HD.

FWIW, I do not do incremental backups. Rather I do complete clones and alternate external hard drives on a weekly basis.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I based my guess on a firewire 400 external disk. I tried USB once, but it was horrible.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Completely agree.

Using USB 2.0 reminds me of the Heinz Catsup commercials. :)