I couldn't wait anymore - I bought an 8-Core today

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Desmo1098, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Desmo1098 macrumors regular

Desmo1098

I couldn't wait anymore - I bought an 8-Core today... I also picked up the 30" Cinema Display. Putting in 3 x Intel SSD in Raid 0 with 1 TB WD RE4 Backup Drive. GTX 285 on its way. The reason I did was because... What really is coming to come out in the next 6 months that will really make a difference? I mean I use CS5, Final Cut, and a host of other creative tools. Hence the reason for the 8-Core.

I mean yes, faster processors, more RAM, etc... But maybe a new video card as well, which I should be able to use in my machine anyways. So I thought the 8-core for resale value and now I can get down to work instead of pacing back-and-forth at night wether or not to wait or pull the trigger on a new Mac Pro. I am happy I did.

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

You'll be glad you did. Obviously the newer Mac pros will have Intels six core CPUs, and the low end one will only have one socket. As it is, yours will be faster anyways. It's a beast of a machine.
    Good choice on the 285. IMO you wasted money on the raid setup. WD Sas drives would have been better

3. Desmo1098 thread starter macrumors regular

Desmo1098

I am in the process of building the RAID setup... You mentioned the WD SAS drives. I assume you mean instead of the Intel SSD, correct?

If I was to go with the WD SAS 2.5" drives, how would I mount them in the Mac Pro?

MAYBE I should clarify something... I was using the ICY DOCK 3.5" SATA to 2.5" SATA solution to mount the Intel SSD in Bay 1-3. From there I am using a software RAID.

I have been wanting to do a RAID setup for a long time but did not feel it was in my best interest until I bought this new MAC PRO. I am guessing that with your proposes solution you are using a RAID Hardware card, correct?

What are your over all recommendations for hard drive setup?

Thanks in advance!

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I run 3x X25-M in RAID0 on my MP and it's mind boggling fast. I don't think any mechanical array could beat it in random read/writes and it's maxing out the ICH on sustained reads. Only a dedicated RAID card with cache would out perform it on Sustained transfers but would still lag on random I/O which is the bulk of most desktop workloads.

Stick with the SSDs. :D

5. Desmo1098 thread starter macrumors regular

Desmo1098

@Virtual Rain

Are you using the ICY DOCK mounting tray? If so, do you have the revision that, when opened it pulls back the SSD for dis-mounting of the drive? I use to have this version. I just received one from Amazon and I can pull the top completely off. According to ICY Dock this is how the new revision acts. However with the first revision I could insert the drive and then close the lid. When closing the lid the drive was automatically connected internally. Now I have to manually "push" the SSD to the connector dock.

Do you understand what I am saying?

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Answered in your other thread, but mine are all 6 months old and I guess are the old design.

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

SAS Drives are generally found in the 3.5" form factor.

However, then you would need an expansion card with internal SAS ports.

On one hand, I hear the drives are loud, so they're Not for Everyone™.

On the other hand, while you work with video, your SSDs' write will eventually slow down without a-reset-or-something, meaning every few months you'll have to restore from backup. SAS wins in this case because all you have to do is keep the drives less then half-full to still get the monster write speed.

And even then, big SATA drives can also suffice, too.

8. franswa za macrumors 6502a

franswa za

congrats! enjoy your time tested, proven machine that just works! i bought my first MP, 8 core standard last september...... it rocks

imo- i will not touch first release products

9. greenmeanie macrumors 65816

greenmeanie

Jut what Steve wanted you to do LOL.

10. Desmo1098 thread starter macrumors regular

Desmo1098

11. Carnage Asada macrumors newbie

I design on an 8-core at work and it's a work horse. Congrats!

12. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

I respect you. This takes guts. There is a time when you just have to buy what you need and get on with work and life. When the desire "to have the best" takes priority over the desire "to do good work" then your biz will have problems.

Make something awesome with that station.

13. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I'm waiting

I thought about just buying the current Mac Pro that Apple sales 2.93 8-Core but I'm going to hold off until Apple updates the Mac Pro, I already own*a 08 3.2 Mac Pro so I'm not in a rush to buy one know but congrats on your purchase I wouldn't wait if you really need a computer now

14. SnoFlo macrumors regular

SnoFlo

Congratulations. I bought the 4 core last week and I am very happy. When you need it now, you need it now.

15. opera57 macrumors 6502

Nice one! I'm also currently deciding to buy a Pro or not, currently have a dual core iMac and really wish I had more cores to work with! I doubt you will regret it at all! [​IMG]

16. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I'm probably going to pick up a dual CPU Mac Pro in September once I get some other finances out of the way. For what I do, the machine offered today is fast enough (although four more cores won't hurt things.) The biggest reason I'm looking at the Mac Pro over the iMac is that the Mac Pro allows for replacement of video cards. This way, even though the CPU may be 3-4 years old later on, it can continue to keep running the latest Crysis sequel. I hate replacing hardware, so I'd rather buy a decent machine and have it last almost a decade than buy an iMac every 3-4 years.

17. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Jealous. And with no Mac Pro updates in the new future (so we think), you have a total monster of a machine!

18. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Exactly! :D

I like your attitude.

19. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I try to strike a balance. I'm in the market for a Mac Pro, but I'm in no hurry to get one, so don't mind waiting until about 1-2 months after the next refresh. I've found after a couple months after a release, the first x.0 bugs get worked out and the x.0.1 machines are in the supply chain that fix original release issues.

I'm hoping for a refresh soonish, hopefully before September and the next school year. I'm sure Apple gets some decent Mac Pro sales at that part of the year.

20. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

The big question is: will you return/exchange it if Apple releases a new Mac Pro on July 13th?

21. spiralof5 macrumors newbie

Buying my mac pro was the worst business decision ever

I love my mac. But only for OS X. There is no reason to spend the extra money on apple only products (RAM, Vid Cards, mouse). Besides, apple is way behind the times in power computing. Return your Mac pro and build a Hack Pro.

Use the half of the money that you were going to spend and didn't and get an Erotic massage.

22. Ravich macrumors 6502a

OR

use the money you saved to tell yourself you are getting "paid" to spend all that time troubleshooting your fabulous Hack Pro.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Congrats OP!!!

I hope you are enjoying your new purchase. I can't wait to get mine :D

24. ClivePwned macrumors member

Enjoy the new machine and stay away from apple websites for a few months and you should be right.

I was in the same boat last year and just gave in and got the quadcore 2.93 in December for home and I'm happy with that purchase.

25. spiralof5 macrumors newbie

or ditch the hack pro solution and use ubuntu. You could use windows but ewwww.

Don't get me wrong. Congrats if you have the money to spend but with the i7s out I really wish I had bought a BOXX system that also has a quadro or fireGL for the same price. Also, I think the new BOXX systems can go up to 12 cores (maybe 16 now).