I cracked my iPod Touch screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hoobastank, Aug 27, 2009.

1. hoobastank macrumors newbie

Today I was walking around in my house, and my hand slipped for a second, and I dropped my iPod Touch :(. Now, I thought it would be okay, I mean, I dropped it from only like 2 feet.

2 FEET!

I once dropped it all the way down the stairs, that's like 20 feet, but it didn't,have a crack.. But from just 2 FEET, it cracked! That's odd.

The LCD is just fine though. The only thing tat is broken is the top left corner, and a thin line through the middle.

Now, I'm not despairing or anything, but is there any way Apple can fix this? I got this like last November, and I've been using it almost everyday :(.

Knowing Apple, they probably won't fix it, they'll probably just charge like $50 for it. I just need a new glass screen. Everything else is fine. How much would these run? I heard like $5-20, but that was from a thread 2 years ago.

See the pics for details.

Attached Files:

2. dakine85 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure how much Apple would charge to fix the glass portion. Did you try calling or going in to a store, just to get a cost?

But anyway, do you intend to keep your iPod for a lot longer? If so, would you consider putting a clear protective film on the screen? If you say the screen portion is fine, this might be a cheap solution and would keep your fingers safe from being cut by the broken glass.

3. celticpride678

To answer your question about Apple fixing it, yes, they would fix it. But, I don't know about the whole $50 thing. Usually, it is $299, more than a new iPod, just for the glass. But yes, they would replace it.

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

The glass and the digitizer may or may not be seperate, I'm not sure anymore. But either way its a hefty repair (on par with a broken iphone screen) and I'd be extremely surprised if it was under $100.

5. hoobastank thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant that the actual screen on eBay is only less than $20. But I don't think I would be able to fix it, especially with how hard it looks.

I don't need a digitizer either. The touch screen works just fine.

I'm going to try the Apple Store this weekend. I hope that works.

But if that doesn't work, could anyone suggest some repair sites? I need one that's cheap. And reliable. I don't want someone stealing my iPod touch, then charging for a fix that never happened...

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

It used to be that the glass and digitizer were together, meaning you couldn't replace one without the other regardless of whether it worked or not. But again, I'm not sure if this is the case anymore. That may have only been the first-gens...

7. mdo574 macrumors newbie

broken screen

Your Bad...Next time buy a protective case,,apple repair will cost ya 199.00++

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

9. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

i know these guys have the parts but idk if they do repairs

10. hoobastank thread starter macrumors newbie

That was encouraging... I still have a warranty though. I can get a refurb for less. And LOOK AT THE PICS? Don't you see the case around it? I saved me a couple times, but not today. And you can protect a TOUCHSCREEN... A flimsy piece of plastic isn't gonna do anything.

11. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    thin crack down the middle of 32gb ipod touch 2g

whatever happened with this? I just got a crack down the middle of my 32gb ipod touch 2g today while at the gym. If it's too much to fix i'll just deal with it, but if i can fix it i would like to

12. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I posted an outline of a screen replacement I did some months ago in THIS thread that may be of help.

13. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^^ awesome, thanks. Seems doable, and w/ my iPod going on ebay for $200ish, still seems worth it to fix rather than replace (I spent $400ish I think just a little a year ago). I think just my glass is broken, I'll add a picture to both threads

14. Reinhardt54 macrumors newbie

yea and my friend has the same problem but his is way worse his is spider webed i think its just the glass on the out side if any one can help me and my friends ipod please do its urgent

15. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

He clearly means wrap it in cotton wool and dont take it out the house unless you can put it inside a huge protective box where nothing can get to it. Some people :rolleyes:

I had a case on one of my iPods and in all honesty I think that's what caused it to break. It was a rubber case (like yours I think) and it landed on the floor and bounced onto the front and shattered the digitizer and LCD because of the bounce. I think if I didn't have a case on it, it would have just landed on the metal and dented it. Oh well, we can't all be as careful as some people I guess.

16. nissin macrumors newbie

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TOUCH

make sure you get the ipod/iphone tool as well (possibly an adhesive pack, i don't know), both are like $3 or something.
    the website also has videos on how to fix it as well, and they're pretty clear. i watched one once on how to replace the digitizer on an iphone, and i've successfully done two more since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTZPCjOLxA

also, make sure you only need just "the touch screen part". if there is black anywhere on your screen, you'll need to replace the LCD display as well.

17. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^^ Thanks for the links. Looks like it's only $50 for the iPod Touch Gen 2 Replacement Digitizer - 8GB, 16GB and 32GB. You said to get the adhesive pack, but I don't see that. All I see is the Case Opener Tool for PDA's, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPhone, Smartphones and iPod's.

my cousin also had given me this video: iPhone 3G S Take Apart & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9AzWAwfHEk

I haven't watched it yet though. Still haven't bought the parts and tools to replace the glass (no black spots) so that's all I need to replace

18. Medeiros29 macrumors newbie

iPOD Touch repair Issues

iPOD TOuch is a Device similar to the iPhone? The only thing it does not receive phone calls? As for repairing the Glass be careful and have a 3rd Party Repair Shop do the repairs or look on Google for Affordable E-Tech Repair/Parts they offer Affordable pricing for the whole World and will have it done in 1 Day or Less with Free Shipping back to you.

We reccomend them Highly>>> We use them for all our Repair issues

Kind Regards:)