I cried for the first time in 12 years today...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by P-Worm, Jul 6, 2009.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I cried for the first time in 12 years today and it was all because of what might be the greatest documentary I have ever seen. That movie is called Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father.

I'm a pretty unemotional guy. It takes a lot just to incite much of a response from me, but this film is the biggest emotional rollercoaster that I have ever experienced. I've never felt such sadness, such rage, and such grateful hope for the good people out there in such a short amount of time. The only thing I feel like doing now is telling everyone about this story and encourage them to watch it.

Has anyone else seen this film? And if so, did you manage to get through it without drowning in your own tears?

If you have not seen this film yet, I would highly recommend that you not learn anything about the story before watching it. There are incredibly turns in this story that should be experienced as the movie goes along.

P-Worm

2. MegaMillions macrumors regular

It's now #1 on my netflix queue. Thanks for the recommendation. It looks incredible!

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Jeeze! Now I'm trying to remember the last film I watched that jerked a few tears. I know The Pianist always leaves me in tears.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The new Transformers movie did it for me...oh wait, that was because it was so terrible...

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The twins were dumb, but I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of it.

6. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Yes, too many Megan Fox slow motion scenes...

Oh...the Transformer twins. Yes, they were annoying too!

:p

The last movie that made me cry was The Green Mile. Gran Torino, almost.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A friend of mine says the new Cameron Diaz film was really sad called "My Sister's Keeper".

I have no idea. I don't really watch a lot of films that would make me cry.

I think Dumbo was the first and only film that did it. :( Oh, and my natural love of animals didn't help, even if that animal was a cartoon.

8. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Freeeeeeeddddooooommmmm!!!

Braveheart did me in, but not to derail the OP's intent, i've moved this movie to the top of my que based on your recommendation. Thanks.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

My girlfriend and I watched Dear Zachary after hearing about it on another forum. Though I didn't cry, it was incredibly moving, and an extremely well done film.

10. racers macrumors regular

Couldn't agree more.
    Megan Fox is way overrated and Gran Torino was amazing.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Gran Torino was one of if not my favorite movie so far of this year. The part where *SPOLIER IN WHITE TEXT* --->the girl comes back beaten and raped is just so sad. Also when *SPOLIER IN WHITE TEXT* ---> He goes to confession and goes out with an hornorable "bang" without killing anyone sure does get the best of me. It was such a great Clint Eastwood performance.

Oh and the ew transformers was pretty good IMHO, but it got pretty lame with all the kid jokes. The CGI was top notch though.

Great suggestion OP, but I think I'll pass. Father, son movies always get the best of me.

12. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Be sure to come back after you have watched it and tell me what you think. Also, tell me if you were man enough to hold back the tears. ;)

Glad to hear at least someone else here has seen this movie. What an emotional experience it was!

P-Worm

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Thanks for the suggestion.

I should probably steer clear, though, a good ep of Desperate Housewives is enough to well me up these days.

14. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Transformers 2 did it for me, 2 scenes, 1 where Sam's father argues with him about "You come back!" (my father is abusive so any caring father makes me cry) and 2 When Sam "Died" in front of his parents and girlfriend.

~Anyway

That documentary sounds pretty good, I may check it out.

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I keep disagreeing with people on this. I love Clint Eastwood, including a lot of his older movies, but I HATED Gran Torino. I mean, I'm not ambivalent, I disliked it with a passion. It's not like I'm a politically correct person anyway, but the whole movie was this: Yelling racial slurs at people and then slowly coming to respect some of them. It's like I had the character arc description right in front of me for every scene, and that's never good when you're that aware of what's going on. Eh, I guess we just disagree.

Crying, though? The series finale for Scrubs.

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

This is very true. He has a way about him. He commands any performance he takes on. He embodied the character so well in Gran Torino. It would have been awesome if when *Spoiler in white text*--> he is saving the girl from the thugs on the corner with that gun if instead of a glock it was a magnum and muttered "do you feel lucky punk?", I would have squeeled like a fangirl at a Jonas Brother concert.

But thats not Clint. He just plays the role. As a performance of that character he was spot on. He didnt decide the story or script. He just played the role and took his pay.

And Scrubs gets me all the darn time. I have seasons 1-7 on DVD. When does 8 comes out?

17. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Well I just finished watching the film thanks to netflix's xbox 360 instant now feature and it was really good. Me or my wife didn't cry but it was extremely emotional and put together really well. I had never heard of that story before and I am really glad I watched it though.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Oh and by the way, Transformers 2 as a action flick was decent, but as a movie it blew. Story line was atrocious and it wouldn't have been so long if the damn camera didn't go into slow-mo mode every damn time the brainless beauty came on the screen. I'm not saying she isn't good to look at, or anything like that but damn come on....do we need slow-mo boobie running shots or spinning camera shots every time they hugged, winked, or kissed?!

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I think my problem was your last sentence. I guess he did a good job at acting out what the screenwriters wrote for him, but I just thought the arc was far too transparent and obvious. I'm no movie critic (I like awful, awful movies), but it just seemed...off to me.

No clue, but I will tell you why it got me so emotional. This year I watched all of Scrubs. Eight seasons in one year (well, school year). Watching it that frequently and with the incredible writing Scrubs has (their ability to make you laugh one second and then think deeply about issues the next second all while making fun of shows that try to make you think deeply about issues) it made me really bond with the characters, like I actually knew them and cared about their plight. I know, that's the goal of every movie/show, but I think having seen them so often it made it even more real.

Season 9 is a go last time I read, but I think JD and Eliot are only signed on for 6 episodes to get the season rolling. I think Zach Braff is too expensive now. I guess the story will center around Turk and some new characters, who knows how good it will be... I'll give it a shot I guess.

19. Doju macrumors 68000

Bizarre, but Ladder 49 made me cry. Only movie that has, but I found the end incredibly saddening, and as a rather unemotional guy as well, I tried, but I just couldn't stop myself.

20. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

I thought he was talking about Megan Fox when he said the twins.
    I wouldn't call those annoying
    ;)