I d really like to restore some sl/aqua elements...is there a way?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by blow45, Oct 20, 2011.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

First off the round (-er) buttons. I miss them, it's a sentimental thing, I loved aqua.

Second of course the scroll bars.

But what I really want back, more than anything - and it's there's a usability issue here is the colour on the finders sidebar, I can't find **** anymore without colour, it takes every time a few extra seconds and a lot of squinting to find them. Oh why, oh why apple did you take the colour away, what a stupid move (one that I don't want argued in this thread, as I argued it ad infinitum in other fora) apple, one going again your own user interface guidelines.

2. ssn637 macrumors 6502

The artfile and sartfile tools for Mac OS X Lion allow modifying the core system UI files (such as the scrollbars or highlight colors) and are found here:

http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16810617&p=1

Follow the instructions carefully and always make a backup of the original .bin files before you modify them! I was able to restore my green glow menu highlights using this tool, which is a ThemePark replacement until that utility has been updated for Lion use.

Other customization tools I can recommend are:

CandyBar (For changing the default icons)
    http://www.panic.com/candybar/

CrystalClear Interface (Theme customizer compatible with Lion 10.7.1 or lower)
    http://crystalclear.musingsfrommars.org/index.html

An update to CrystalClear Interface will probably come out soon for 10.7.2

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks So much, what a great reply you are so kind!

(I wonder why the heck someone would -1 my posts, but what to do people are strange.)

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

[QUOTE

(I wonder why the heck someone would -1 my posts, but what to do people are strange.)[/QUOTE]

Dunno, just +1`d ya. ;)
    I miss the color too...

5. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Dunno, just +1`d ya. ;)
    I miss the color too...[/QUOTE]

Lol, cheers, do the simbl trick. Simbl might not be the most harmless thing you could do to your mac, as you might know, but at least it works for the finder sidebar. To me, and my poor eyesight when it comes to lcd monitors, it was a godsend, I could not handle that colourlessness at all, I couldn't find anything. Surely it has got to be one of the dumbest choices in apple's interface ever. Even if it's a trend, it's a trend that mars usability so much. But anyway the simbl trick works, so far, now if the dev could make one also for the siderbar in the save as interface... or I might have to start reading on cocoa hacking and do it myself.