I decided on the new old MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by girl-in-paris, Oct 20, 2008.

1. girl-in-paris macrumors newbie

After prowling two days non stop over the weekend in this forum, I have decided to buy the new old 2.5GHz i.e. Latest older version MBP.

I still love the classic design and the keyboard. I couldnt force myself to like the new one even though i tried hard.

So I went ahead and told my sister to get the older version (she was like - WHAT?!? You waited so long and now you're getting the old one?!?). Anyhoot, my shining classic mbp is on its way to me in Paris from Hong Kong and I would get it on the 22nd. Yay! Well, I'm upgrading from the 1.33 PB which lasted me a good 5 years so I trust this one with the brighter matte screen going to be great. I am quite happy I didn't get the new mbp just becoz its the new thing by apple and gave it careful considerations. If i really grow to like the new one, i can always get it in the future.

I'll post pics when it gets here. Well, it may not be the hype or the rage now, but i feel really good getting the design i've always liked, cheaper and better speced plus smaller and lighter. As for the graphic card problem, i just hope i get a good batch!

EDIT - I can finally stop surfing safari off my iPhone! Finally a decent notebook. Im psyched!

2. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Congratulations! I'm sure you won't have a minute's regret, even when you're sitting side-by-side with one of the new MBPs! Enjoy it!

5. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I'm still on the fence - it's that 1920 by 1200 screen on the 17" that's pulling me towards the old model.

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Congratulations dude, and guess what, I ordered the same new-old 2,5 ghz mbp today! :D

I'm upgrading from the G4 Book in my signature, I wanted to wait until next year but I don't like the glassy screen and got an awesome offer... 1350 € for a leftover new old 2,5 ghz mbp from a store = can't resist. :)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

:D

Attached Files:

8. girl-in-paris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your well wishes n help since yesterday.
    somehow i have feeling i would love it to bits like i did my PB.
    Each time i walked past the apple store before the new glossy mbp launched, i would peer in and see the classic design and go "awwww - i really want one of the newer brighter slimmer lighter ones ... " but i waited and waited. And kept on waiting even after my PB died in me. And quite frankly, I'm glad I did. I am now getting the (one week ago) top of the line mbp (sans customized upgrade that is). So yes, I think I will really enjoy it.

And strangely I think I would be happy to sit beside the new mbp owners and still feel happy with my purchase. CoZ today, I tot I saw someone use the new mbp by the cafe, it looked exactly like the new mbp screen and keyboard from where I was standing. But it was i think just another brand. So yeah. I must say the classic design really stood the test of time. Again, I do love the new unibody design. I just wished they gave me back my keyboard and made it one color. Having said that, the Air looks better with the black keyboard minus the black bezel. But the graphics were so slow on my old Air I just couldn't carry on using it.

So sorry for my chattering again. I can't wait to get mine. I waited so long and its worth it! At 1000usd cheap, plus its brand new, who wouldn't be? Peace out!

9. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

omg, sorry dear Miss OP!!!!!!!:eek:

10. supermax217 macrumors newbie

I brought Old new MBP from Apple website..2.4GHz, 200G HD, 2gb ram total $1500 with tax, free shipping.

This is my first MAC and I'm already loving it.

11. girl-in-paris thread starter macrumors newbie

It's alright! You guys and maybe some gals are real nice despite the constant bashing of glossy screens. :p and telling people to get a life when one more dude/dudette posts a thread about the new mbp being erm should i use the word 'unacceptable' ?

It has been great fun to hang out here. Thank you my puny iPhone for not dying on me!

12. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

Both Model's are great no complaints on either, i use both old at work new at home.. i like the old superdrive location though if you have a messy desk its always hard to have the side free

13. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well I'm still in the fence but might decide by tomorrow...I've waited a long time too and kind of feel inbetween a rock & a hard place...

There's a long list of pros & cons to both the old & the new so I'll just have to decide on which one I'll be happier with. Problem is, all the 15" refurbished ones are sold out in Auz...my only option w/ that would be to have a N.American one sent to family & then reshipped over here on my dime...not such a good deal anymore.

...I def want AppleCare on the thing either way.

14. girl-in-paris thread starter macrumors newbie

May i ask why u are considering the older version? Your list shows u already have one from the older models? Just curious. :)

15. Alchematron macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

Congrats!

I also just purchased a previous new MBP

The following were the reasons why I did not buy a new MBP

NO Built in 3G Antenna
    NO Blu-Ray Drive
    NO Silver Keys
    NO Matte Screen
    NO Hi Res Screen
    YES Butt Ugly Bezel
    YES Sharp Edges

Sorry Steve NO SALE

16. johnsy macrumors 6502

just unpacked macbook 2.4 classic. Seems it is very good purchase. Screen seems good, love it!

17. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

add me to the list

I really had a hard time deciding between the new & old. The main things I liked about the new mbp were the trackpad and the clean unibody design. I actually went as far as ordering the 2.53Ghz new MBP from apple w/ an EPP discount, downgrading the hard drive to the 250GB 7200RPM. It still ended up being $2450 including tax.

I thought about it all day today - while checking to see if it shipped - I kind of wanted it to ship, but at the same time as long as it hadn't shipped I had the option of changing my mind. When I got home from work today and saw that amazon had the previous gen 2.5Ghz mbp back, then the wheels started turning. I had a change a heart and decided to go with the tried and true model, cancelled my apple order and ordered through amazon for $1650 after rebate.

The price differences and the things I liked better with the old mbp (keyboard, firewire400, matte screen, cheaper RAM, tried and true design) were what ultimate made me change my mind back to the previous gen. In addition, I figure it gives me more flexibility when they release the next revision MBP and if it's a lot better, I can sell my MBP and upgrade to the new one. Since I'm getting it for $1650, if I sell it in 6-8 months, hopefully I'll be able to recoup most of the price that I paid.

Oh, and by the time the next revision comes out, they'll probably have released snow leopard and maybe the next version of ilife which means if I upgrade, i'll both of them included in the laptop.

18. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

19. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Do you have yours yet? Mine should arrive today or tomorrow >>excited<< :)

And yes please post pictures once you have it, let's show those new-old mbps some love! :D

20. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

I too went with the pre-Oct MBP model over the new one. Although, to be honest, I purchased it on Oct 6, a full week before the Oct 14 unveiling of the new models. I figured that it would go one of two ways: either it would be a fairly substantial redesign, or it would be an incremental improvement over the previous model. If the former, I didn't want to be an early adopter of a new design, as there are almost always issues that crop up. I never like to be an early adopter in these situations if I can help it. I never jump on an OS X 10.x.0 or 10.x.1 version, for example. And, on the other hand, if it was just an incremental up date, I wanted my MBP sooner rather than later. And on top of that, I figured the Oct 14 date was still just an unconfirmed rumor.

I have to admit, though, that when I saw that video about the unibody construction, and the easy access to the hard drive, I wondered if I wasn't stupid for buying early, when I was told I should wait!

Still, after considering the new design and all the changes, I'm really glad I have the older version. I prefer the matte screen. I prefer the older keyboard. I prefer the front loading CD/DVD slot. I prefer the USB ports on either side of the computer, and two firewire ports. And I definitely prefer the looks of the older version. When I heard that the rumor was that Apple was going to redesign the "old", outmoded aesthetics of the MBP, essentially the same as the power books, I was like "WHAT? I like that look!"

Even so, I'm sure I would have been happy with either version of the MBP. Although, I wouldn't have been able to use the Matias laptop armor 15" case, as my older MBP just barely fits in the width of it, so a quarter inch wider would have forced me to go to the 17" case. So that would have been a real difference there.

I think that Apple made a lot of the changes that it did make in order to bring the pros design and layout in line with the consumer grade laptops. Now both types have the side-loading superdrives and all the ports crammed over to the left side, and the same keyboard.

It makes me wonder why they have kept the distinction between the macbooks and macbook pros?

And finally, I can't believe you have to log out and log back in in order to make the GPU change from integrated to stand-alone graphics (or whatever the proper term is). That is definitely not up to Apple's usual standards! What a drag. Also, the smaller battery is a drag, too. I know they could do it because of the lower power draw of the LED back light, but still . . . more runtime would have been great.

Whatever, I'm just glad I finally own a MBP. I love this thing, and have been wanting one for years now.

21. chachster macrumors newbie

Count me in on the purchase of a new previous gen MBP.. Order a 2.5 gHz 2gig ram yesterday. It will be my first mac. I tossed around the idea or old or new and finally decided on the previuos generation. Really excited to jump into the world of Mac OS X! :D

22. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Same here. Just ordered a new/old MBP 2.5 Ghz with MATTE screen and 2 FW ports :). It will replace my Powerbook G4.