I deleted all the files on my USB key!!!! Or corrupted them!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Anonomous, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Anonomous macrumors newbie

I have a standard USB key with no encryption software that I only used on Mac os X. One day I crazily plug it into my iMac g3 running Mac os 9 and my files are gone. I had my iPhone backup file which doesn't open. A 500mb encrypted dmg image and now it says 4.3 mb and no mountable file systems. Is there any way to get it back? I had my whole life on this key and I really wAnt it back.
    P.s. Sorry if this sounds choppy

2. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Have you tried plugging it into a computer running OS X?

If yes - it sounds a bit dead. I certainly wouldn't trust it with any new data.

Did you really keep data on a USB drive with no backup?? I guess you don't need to be told that that was asking for trouble...

3. Anonomous thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I did, that's where it shows up as 4.3 and no mountable file systems.
    It's not dead, stupid crappy os 9 deleted it.
    And I would keep a backup, but I don't want the data in too many places with people.

4. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Ok, I doubt OS 9 would just delete files, but maybe try searching online for data recovery software. Most "deletion" of files doesn't touch the files, it just tells the device to mark the space where they were as available for use.

If that doesn't work, there are (expensiveish) professional data recovery companies in business.

I still reckon a backup is worth it. USB drives do die and get lost and misplaced and stolen. If it's an encrypted disk image, that's not going to be easy to crack.

5. Anonomous thread starter macrumors newbie

Nononononono, I plugged it into my Mac os 9 and it corrupted. I can still see they exist, it's just corrupted.