I deleted the Desktop Pictures images!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SuperFreak, May 15, 2015.

1. SuperFreak macrumors member

WELP! I was just trying to free up some space on my iMac, and found a folder roughly about 7-10GB in size, so deleted it, its all the contents of the Desktop Pictures folder, all I have in there is the 'solid colours' folder.

How can I get the default desktop pictures wallpapers back!?

Help please!

Thanks

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

7 - 10 GB seems like more than just the Desktop Pictures folder located at "/Library/Desktop Pictures/". You probably should reinstall the OS.

3. SuperFreak thread starter macrumors member

I deleted every .image/photo file i think :/ Is there no way I can re-download a folder with all those files folders again? I recover it somehow!?

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

What was the name of the folder you deleted? I ask because Desktop Pictures measures just 408.9 MB on my Yosemite Macs. Also, what version of OS X are you on?

5. SuperFreak thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I forgot to explain my specs.

Im running OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks. slim 2013 iMac 21.5".

And it's actually not just the desktop pictures that i deleted, its the screen savers too, and hundreds of other image files.

I just went into finder, and searched for image/photo/picture 'Kind Of' file, and dragged them all into the trash.. I saw loads of "thumbnails" and files like that.

I have only recently bought this iMac, so I wanted to clear as much space as i could to keep it fresh. I think I've really done something bad now tbh... Ah man

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no need to delete all images to keep your Mac "fresh", as many affect the basic functionality, as you've learned. There's not a lot of "bloat" in OS X to begin with, so caution is advised when deleting anything that's not a user file. Reinstalling OS X as redheeler recommended will fix everything.

This may be useful: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Reinstall the OS through Recovery by holding down Command-R at boot, and in the future keep GGJstudios's advice in mind.