I deleted the Mac App Store on 10.6.7, uh oh.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by advil0, May 12, 2011.

1. advil0 macrumors newbie

I was having a problem where Twitter wouldn't update, so I figured I'd reinstall the Mac App Store. I deleted it, and promptly realized that I can't reinstall it via the 10.6.6 update package because i'm on 10.6.7.

Any ideas on how to get it back?

2. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

Software Update should pull it down. Try restarting before you do, it might not recognize that it's gone yet.

3. advil0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind figured that out, but it didn't clear my settings or history.

Any way I can manually re-install Twitter? Or even clear it from the Mac App Store alltogether? I already deleted the app from /Applications/ but it still shows up in the Mac App Store.

4. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

Here's a separate package I found if you ever need it, or Software Update fails. http://www.qubesys.com/reinstall-mac-app-store/

As far as I can tell, you can't ever remove an item from your purchase history. But if you use AppCleaner (google it) you can get rid of any preference lists and other files associated with it. That might clear what you need.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust downloading this from some random website, as you don't know if the app been tampered with. A safer bet is to install Pacifist to extract the app from the 10.6.6. update that you can download from Apple's site here.
    You don't need AppCleaner to remove a .plist, since it's easy to do manually. As for other files associated with a deleted app, AppCleaner and similar products do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders associated with deleted apps. Details.

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

It's the blind leading the blind in here...

OOPS... except for GGJ of course!:D

7. advil0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ughh, I tried a full delete of Twitter and it still shows up in the Mac App Store, and still won't let me update it.

Any other last ditch efforts?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After you've completely removed the app using the instructions I posted, restart the Mac App Store.

9. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Exaclty what I thought :)
    If Software update doesn't fix it I would reinstall the system.