I demand satisfaction! (4 repeat repairs!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmdawson, Jul 12, 2011.

1. cmdawson, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

cmdawson macrumors newbie

2010 MacBook Pro 2.53

Repair #1- SD card slot never worked, Apple store replaced logic board.

Repair #2- Displays go dark after 1/2 hr to 3 hours. Apple store suspects discrete/integrated chip handoff causing issue. Replaced logic board.

Repair #3-Brought home after repair #2 and noticed "spotlights" along bottom of display (missed it in store due to dock hiding the issue). Apple store suspects bad display (obviously the bottom LED bar is dead)

Repair #4- Went to apple store to pick it up after repair #3, genius and I immediately saw "wavy" display defect in middle of screen! Solution yet another display replacement.*

I strongly suggested a store credit or new machine to stop this endless cycle of pain. Apple store guy suggests 5 is the magic number....what else could possibli go wrong??? Luckily still 6 more months of warranty left...what can I do????

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You pretty much summed it up. There isn't much you can do. Outside of going with a different store, or much worse, company.

What are the chances? Right?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Give it one more try since he said 5 is his number

4. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Gah that sucks! If it's good now then just use it (purely opinion here)... but when machines have that many issues it kills your trust of a machine that you (may or may not) rely on.

If it happens again, demand a new one. I say it really sounds like a lemon that's been "repaired" by techs that aren't paying to much attention to what they're doing.

I hope you end up with a new machine. :apple:

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If anything else happens, ask for a replacement, and if the person hesitates POLITELY ask to speak to the manager. Calmly explain what has happened, and ask for a replacement. If that doesn't work, contact Applecare and explain what has happened and request a replacement.

My best guess is that the store manager will verify all the repairs and authorize replacement, although if you have one that is six months old (and, hence, not a current version) they may have to order it in, or have Applecare ship it.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Tough luck... not sure where this "5" came from though. I think he made it up. I know people who have had it done within the first try and some who never got it done.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ask for a replacement.

apples policy is to replacement after 3 reairs.

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I had mine replaced after 3 Tries. 1st Was hard drive, 2nd was bluetooth not working, and 3rd was a humming noise coming from my logic board. I was very polite, but also very firm. They gave me a brand new computer.

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

"5" times my arse.

I would've made a lot of noise before they even started repairing it the 3rd time. I'd actually be doing them a favor since there are only Apple Certified repair folks here and no geniuses. It must cost them a fortune to pay these people to do warranty work.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

do they do a good job? i may have to send mine in

11. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I've only needed repairs once. There are no Apple Stores near me and I dreaded mailing my mac in. So I checked Apples authorized repair locators on their site and low and behold there was some guy living a block away doing this out of his house. :eek: Didn't really bother me since he was "blessed" by Apple and I knew I had their ear should he not do a good job. Of course he did fine. Had parts within 36 hours and I was done in 3 days.

Apple sent me a boiler plate survey to fill out on the guy and I gave him high marks. I'm sure the repairs cost Apple more than my macbook was worth.

12. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You "demand satisfaction"? I'm sure that will go over well at the store. I'd kick you out of the store simply because I can if you copped that attitude with me. Try to take a few breathes and find your happy place because you won't get anything replaced unless you ask nicely.

13. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Apple customer relations has a *guideline* (people all the time here think it's a policy) of 3 repairs before replacement. They also tend to replace machines which were purchased recently. I know the guidelines as I used to work in Apple Store (online) customer service (not customer relations); however, I am familiar with how customer relations work, and they are the nicest people you will find at Apple. Call 408 996 1010 and ask for customer relations (not service). I expect they will be very happy to accommodate you, if not there is executive customer relations. I would stop dealing with the store if I were you, and tell Apple customer relations that is why you are calling them--that after four repairs, you have had not a good outcome with the Apple retail store.

The only problem you may run into is if you have already had the fourth repair done and it was successful--you don't have much to ask for. If that's the case, call Apple customer relations when the next problem arises. Or, if you haven't had the fourth repair done yet on the current problem, call Apple CR now.

14. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

That's a horrible story. I had a similar experience with my 2011 MBP. I had that same 'wavy' display problem. I owned the computer less than a week and took it in. At first, they decided to replace the display. Things looked fine in the store with all the bright lights, but when I took the computer home, the wavy display problem was still noticeable (two displays were wavy?!). In any case, at that point, I called Apple and they decided to replace my computer. As it was a BTO, it took a week and a half to have it delivered from China, but in the end, it was worth it. Still doesn't solve the problem of the 2011 13" MBP getting extremely hot, but unfortunately, that seems to affect most customers.

Your issues sound ridiculous and if you still have problems, you're probably within your rights to ask for a replacement. You'll always be wondering what other little issues may crop up in time. You can never look at a computer the same way again when it's given you that kind of trouble. Hope you're able to sort everything out.

15. bluesteel macrumors 6502

all you have to do is call apple customer relations.

i've had an iMac and a Macbook Pro replaced over the years. each of them had three significant repairs....and on the fourth repair, before i let apple actually do the repairs, i called apple customer relations to talk about the constant repairs, and i was sent a new computer both times, no questions asked.

16. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Sorry, that is incorrect. I'm still using a machine that had

Logic board
    Top case
    Display
    Keyboard
    Keyboard
    Trackpad
    Catch latch replaced

I guess maybe three of the same issue is possible but not three of anything.

17. cmdawson thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually the subject was referring to a certain Simpsons episode where Homer duels and also demands satisfaction...so no attitude here...though there should be.

I should have gone the phone route the last time will do if #5 is as expected.

2 important lessons from all this when getting repairs:

1. Always deauthorize your iTunes account on your Mac prior to a logic board change. The new MAC address means you'll use up another of your 5 available authorized machines. After 2 changes I had to ask Apple to "deauthorize all" which you can only do yourself once per year.

2. Time machine backups are also tied to the MAC address so don't count on them taking up where they left off. There are some hacks around online but not exactly straightforward.

18. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Is that the one where he slaps everyone with a glove? Maybe you could try that, or better yet slap them with your laptop then ask them to fix it.

Joking aside, I hope you get it worked out and get a new one; it's been to the shop too many times. Mines had 2 major surgeries and next time something takes a dump I'm trying for a replacement.

19. cmdawson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes time to buy a glove! They did promise to overnight the latest display and replace today, so one more trip in with fingers crossed. If this one fails will be on the phone this time.

[​IMG]

20. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I can't get no... Sat-is-faction. I can't get no... Satisfaction. And i try. And I try. And I try. And I try. I can't get noooo.

Lol couldn't resist :D

21. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Love it! :D

To the OP though, good luck!