I design the Case for Handwriting purpose

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Kate Zhang, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Kate Zhang, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014

Kate Zhang macrumors newbie

iPhone Case with Memo function by traditional pen & paper.

[​IMG]

Please advise your comment so that I can make the improvement.

Thanks

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

3. Kate Zhang thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing your opinion, we will work hard to make it done.

Br.

4. kingofbling macrumors newbie

I dont really see the point, the iPhone does that. (Take down Notes)

That pen might also trigger security issues when going through x-ray machines. :D

5. meistervu, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

meistervu macrumors 65816

This reminded me of something in the past

Many years ago, before smartphones, there was this company called Handspring that made Visor PalmOS devices. These devices used a removable extension card called Springboard. You can get a game or an app in the form of a cartridge, pop out the Springboard cover, and insert it in there. Most people who bought a Visor never purchased one, so there is this drawer like space that sit there doing nothing.

A coworker of mine got a Visor. I took a thin pack of Post It and inserted it in there and showed him how we can market a Post It Springboard.

I never patented this idea :)

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I like it. I currently size my own paper and stick it in the back of my iPod's SwitchEasy case actually. Sometimes a little bit of paper comes in handy.

Oh man, that could have been cool! Especially if you made a stylus/pen combo like Wacom does these days.

7. meistervu macrumors 65816

8. Kate Zhang thread starter macrumors newbie

9. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

If I need to save a handwritten note I just take a photo of it.

10. ngocnguyen macrumors member

does not make any sense...you are going backwards in technology by using a pen and paper....

you can't accomplish the same through visual (photo), audio (voice messages) or text (voice convert to text) apps? Can't you just tell Siri to take a memo or make a reminder or take a photo of a sketch?

you have a technologically advanced smartphone (iPhone) but not utilizing the power of it's functionality or apps.

I just can't believe there are no apps that can accomplish what you want. It's a simple task that you are dumbing down and causing redundancy through design.

What is the problem?

What is the need?

What apps are available that can take written notes down?

What can't these apps accomplish?

Is this really the solution?

If the user needs to use a pen and paper on their iPhone (one of the world's most innovative product of the 21st century) to take a note/memo/sketch...

...then the user does not deserve to OWN an iPhone.

11. Kate Zhang thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate for your reply even it`s full of criticism :). I understand your concern is it doesn`t make sense for create Memo Function by traditional pen & paper as it was app(s) function.

Please allow me to explain according to your concerns:

1. By our understanding, in this 21st Century, after innovation of Note App, some people still using traditional pen & note book for Memo/sketch/note purpose because in some occasion, the function of App can`t full take over the function of traditional record tooling;
    2. we understand pen & note book is too heavy and inconvenient for carrying, so we try to design the Memo Function inside the phone case in order to utilize it;
    3. More important, please notice the reason why we create Memo case is because we consider MemoCase will be the plus for your iPhone and Internal App in some case. For example, during the tel call, if you need to write down some notes or tel numbers, using Memo Case will be more easier than the internal app.

Hope above explanation can make you more clear about our idea.

Br.

12. ngocnguyen macrumors member

understood that it is easier to write onto paper...but ultimately, you will input that exact data back into digital format..so you are creating an additional step.

other things to consider...paper pad refills..is it available to purchase? is it custom size that only you sell or can one buy it from any store? replacement pen and pen refill? are you using an existing common pen refill? These are all additional items that the user has to consider purchasing for weekly/monthly maintenance just to use your product.

13. meistervu macrumors 65816

@ngocnguyen:
    Your criticisms makes total sense for probably 80% users out there (wild guess). But iPhone are now so ubiquitous that you can find it in the hands of people who are not so comfortable doing the things you suggested, the sort of things you and I and the majority of people find as natural as blinking.

Case in point: I helped my neighbor purchase and iPhone before she took off for a long trip. I showed here how to do basic things before she left to stay with friends who were supposed to be "iPhone savvy." I sent her texts, and I would get a call in response. It happened many months, so when she got back I asked her if she knew how to text. She sheepishly said she had no clue.

It may sound amazing to many of us here, but the older generation may not be comfortable with new technology the way the new one is.

But don't laugh, because it may happen to you some day. It doesn't matter what the technology is - stone tools, fire, pottery, quantum computing - there are always new things on the horizon.

14. Kate Zhang thread starter macrumors newbie

We noticed the problem of stationary refill that`s the reason we use 4 different color of paper and well distributed them into 15 pieces per color which the thickness of 15 pieces are exactly fit the gap we provided in the case.

And for further ordering for consuming stationary ordering, we are providing a price which just equal to the cost and we are not earning any money on it. By purchasing consuming stationary more than 10 dollar or above( estimated 10 dollar may include 8 * 90p Memo Paper + 3 Memo Pen), Free International shipping will be provided.

----------

I`m totally agreed with you. Among different customer, there are "Innovators", "Early Adopters", "Early&Late Majority" and "Laggards", each part of customer has their own demand which "Innovator" or "Early Adopter" feel this function may not make sense, but as "Laggards", it may make sense to them.

It`s hard to say.

15. Kate Zhang thread starter macrumors newbie

16. rgctx macrumors regular

No offense but you can buy a mini spiral notepad with 50 sheets of paper and a mini pin at the dollar store for $2.

Also if I'm in a call and they want me to write down information they will either text or email it to me.

17. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

If you are on the phone and need to take down a note, I think this would be more cumbersome. Think about it, you either need to put the phone on speaker then flip the iPhone over and take the note, or plug in your headphones and take the note like that. If you do it with the built in app, you just put them on speaker and get to your notes app. Or use the headphones.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If I need to write something to give to somebody I just use a business card if I'm out of the office.

I guess some people might have a need. It's a bit like a scaled down version of the booqpad for the iPad.

19. Kate Zhang thread starter macrumors newbie

Understood. Of course people can carry Stick Paper and Mini Pin for making the same function. By combining it those into MemoCase, I try to achieve reasonable retail price such as $10-$15 per case for attracting market demand.

Yes, Agreed. I will make the improvement for second version.

You are right, because this not the common good and function already be replaced by internal app or other tools, but seeking for some parts of people who may need this design.

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I like the new top flap. Nice choice of matching the pink notepad with gold by the way.