I did a bad thing.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by smearedblue, Jan 2, 2010.

1. smearedblue macrumors member

My iphone has been damaged pretty badly in the recent months.. dropped in water twice, dropped it down the stairs onto concrete.. miraculously the glass didn't break, but.. my backlight went out..

so being an avid tinkerer, and already ruling the phone pretty much dead because of all the abuse it took, I decided to dismantle it, and attempt a fix.

I pinpointed the thin connector that connects the backlight. Does it control anything else?

i forget now what gave me the idea that I should remove the plastic connector that holds it to the motherboard, but that's what I did. I scraped it right off.

so now I have a backlightless iphone with no way to reconnect it. I don't think it's even possible to solder it or anything.. I think I'm out of luck, besides buying a new logic board.. but even then I will probably just end up buying a used iphone instead.

So I guess if anyone has any suggestions at all.. or even if I should sell it.. etc.. that would be cool. I just don't know whhat to do with this bunk iphone that for the most part still works.

2. applefool macrumors member

applefool

if you cut the ribbon between the logic board and the display assembly then you just almost totaled your phone. if you want to sell it and have a paypal account, email me and we can talk it out: applefool99@gmail.com

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And doing so via this site is against MR Marketplace rules. ;)

If that ribbon is cut, as applefool says then yes ... your phone is basically gone.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

All I can add is next time read more tutorials and watch videos before tinkering on your iPhone, next time. You would've saved yourself a lot of heart ache.