I Did It! I upgraded my RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Critterbug, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Critterbug macrumors member

Critterbug

I know a lot of you will say whoop-de-doo, but it's a big deal for me.
    I upgraded my RAM all by my li'l self. Wasn't as easy as the videos made it out to be, but my dad, if he were still around would be proud; and a little disappointed it took me so long to try. He was a pioneer in electronics. Taught me how to solder, install tubes, build speaker systems, etc...Thanks Dad, for teaching me what to look for, so I knew it wasn't over when I could still fix it!
    Next stop: SSD drive.
    :D

2. NightCastle macrumors member

Good for you. ...and after the SSD, on to replacing the motherboard and CPU;).

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. Critterbug thread starter macrumors member

Critterbug

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your sweet words. I'm very grateful to be able to share here.:)

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

7. Critterbug thread starter macrumors member

Critterbug

Come on over, I've been saving a bottle of champagne for my bday. Close enough:cool:

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

9. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

at what time should I start the parade to celebrate this mile stone ? Lmao :)

10. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

Trust me,
    after the ssd you will feel like:

Attached Files:

11. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Great Job, it feels great doing it yourself, eh?

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

if the SSD is as difficult to replace as the Mac Mini you should give that a shot...you will feel like a genius when you're done!!

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So with all this talk about soldering…

Are you saying you upgraded the RAM on your MacBook Air? If so that is impressive.

If we're talking about a MacBook Pro, then I don't really see what the excitement is about. I do upgrades all the time.

14. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Well we got to post #14 before some jerk piped in with the "So what?" post...

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if it's just a MacBook Pro, please explain why you're so excited about it.

16. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

hmmm maybe he was proud of doing it by himself? Weren't you proud of yourself the first time you upgraded RAM? Upgrades can seem very daunting/scary to someone who has never done it before.

That's what this is about.

17. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I agree. Once you're used to tinkering around inside of your computer it won't seem like a big deal, but everyone has to start somewhere. I remember the first time I tinkered, all I did was added an extra internal hard drive, but it was the first time I had opened my computer. I was terrified of static, and I treated everything like a fragile shard of glass. Adding RAM requires a fair amount of force for "fragile electronics." So good for Critterbug for trying something new and overcoming any apprehension or fear that he may have had about the process. (And if this was a Macbook Air upgrade, then it's impressive on its technical merit as well.)

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Well well... Captain Buzzkill just arrived at the party.

----------

Nice! :D I remember being scared to death first time I cracked open an expensive MacBook.

That seven seconds waiting for the grey boot screen to come up after working on your computer is the longest time ever.

19. Critterbug thread starter macrumors member

Critterbug

Thank you all...I think. The first 7 seconds were beep...beep...beep. I knew I hadn't seated it right, so I opened up again and finally got it. 30 minutes for a 10 minute install. I count that as a win. +1
    And for you guys who say Whoop de doo, I already said it for you. Yeah, I said solder, which may indicate how long it's been since I opened an electronics case. Also, the Pro is just out of warranty, so no freebie fixes if I f'd up. So yeah, all you yay sayers are invited for champagne. I have one bottle, so I hope you're not thirsty. lol:D
    And I'm a girl.

20. kjlake macrumors member

Good for you. I can't tell you how many times that I've been in a similar situation... These days when I crack open a case to do work, its on enterprise servers for the most part, and folks hate it when they can't get to their stuff...

don't be afraid to dig in further... We are here to help

21. Critterbug thread starter macrumors member

Critterbug

Thanks! I really appreciate everybody whose been supportive. :)
    Just check it out. How many people are posting they've just done something new without getting comments saying: "Duh". Well, I guess not me. I really appreciate the support from people who remember how it feels to do it for the first time. I just wanted to share my joy.
    Thanks to all who are celebrating with me. How many "consumers" crack open their macs?

22. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Lol. I just did the same thing a week ago. First time to work on a laptop, watched the YouTube videos, washed my hands, got the tools, got a little nervous.

Shockingly easy, I even took the 8gb that was in my Mac (upgraded to 16) and put it in my buddies Mac with 4gb.... Much easier the second time :)

Congrats!!