I did something bad...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by p0intblank, Aug 13, 2007.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Now I know it's very bad to mess around with system files. Let's just say that I was messing around in NetInfo Manager and managed to change my "short name" within the application. Now when I try to change it back, it says I do not have permission to do so. The same happens when trying to login into the Accounts tab in the System Prefs or install any app of some kind; you know, the usual Mac OS X security routine...

Please tell me there is a way to fix this. Do I have to log in via root?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Hm, I guess root wouldn't hurt. The thing is, if you don't already have root turned on, you need to authorize it with an admin name+pw, so you'll be in quite the catch-22 there...

But if root is on, then go ahead. I probably don't need to mention that you'd better be more careful when logged in as root, you can screw even more stuff up :)

Just curious, now when it asks you for your username and password, are you using your old one or the new short name you changed it to? Try both, and also try your full name.

edit: happens to a lot of us, btw. Curiosity is fun but it can lead to things like this (it sure has with me). As long as you learned from it. Nothing bad seems to have happened, worst case you can always back up and reinstall OS X, but that's a last resort.

3. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

I've tried everything... my full name, my old login, the new short name, etc. So what would I do in going about this? I've never had to log in as root before.

4. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

I fixed it! :) I used the install disc that came with my PowerBook to reset the password. All is good; thanks for the help.

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

glad to see that you fixed problem :)

6. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Ah, good. For future reference, to use root, in NetInfo Manager, on the Security menu, there's an option to enable root, and it asks you to pick a password if it's the first time you've done it. Then logout/switch user, and at the login screen there's an option for "Other" and you can type root and the pw. But good to see it won't be necessary here.

7. pmartin macrumors regular

It's much easier just to open a terminal and type "sudo passwd" which will also enable the root account and give it a password.