I did something in Terminal now my Macbook doesn't work.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by desertintheshap, Dec 9, 2009.

1. desertintheshap macrumors newbie

I'm on my Mini now. I was trying to do some theme business on my macbook and screwed it up. I stupidly followed some guy's tutorial on installing his theme on my Macbook. I went into System folder and installed some src files. God. Then I went into Terminal and typed some command in.
    I don't know what it is, everytime i start firefox it crashes. If I click anything in the menubar it just jumps, i can't pull any menu down. when i open a folder the buttons are grayed out and if i try to click the buttons my screen just starts jumping and i pretty much can't do anything. I hope someone knows the fix or knows what i am talking about. i gotta get this back up and running! Is there anything on mac like on windows "last known good configuration" or something?! I can still type in terminal. what can i do?!?!?!!?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Do you have a full backup? (Clone/Time Machine)

If you do, it's probably gonna be easiest to just roll back to that. If you don't...uh...what DID you type? Do you have a link to the tutorial? It wasn't anything with the "sudo mv" or "sudo rm" was it? Those two can SERIOUSLY *$&% up your machine if pointed at the wrong things.

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

Typed "some" command in? :rolleyes: You gotta know EXACTLY what any command you use in Terminal is gonna do. I hope for your sake you have a backup...and don't go fooling with system folders unless you know exactly what you are doing.

5. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

if your gonna mess about with the terminal like that it's usually best to try it on an old machine, and not your main one ;)

if you dont know what the commands were then you only hope is probably back up if you have one or a fresh install of osx ;)

6. desertintheshap thread starter macrumors newbie

lol. god sorry for freaking out there. i somehow tracked down what i typed in terminal and typed YES instead of NO and that undid it.
    Next step- try to turn snow leopard into System 7. We'll see how that goes. ;)