I didn't have breakfast today, what should I have for lunch?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBOS, Sep 17, 2014.

1. MacBOS macrumors 6502

MacBOS

I was exhausted from work yesterday, feel in a deep sleep and only just woke up at 1:00, i can literally eat a horse right now but didn't want to pig out, was considering a chicken salad but was thinking maybe this is not good since i didn't eat this morning, maybe something heavier is better. I am trying to start a diet (trying to lose my gut) but today i feel that i need advice or Godzilla is going to take over once i walk out that door.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!:D

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

How about just half of a horse and you can save the leftovers for tomorrow?

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

^^This..

If you need some message board to tell you what you should eat your body will become very whacked.

5. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

Ha! nice!

----------

yea i got what you are saying, I'm just not the healthiest person myself so i really don't want to follow my advice in the mater

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Buy cheap beef burgers. They will probably contain horse anyway. :D

7. Scepticalscribe, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ever though I joined MR six years ago, (which remains, to date, the only such site I actually use in the 'social' sense), I have found it an astonishingly instructive and occasionally educational experience.

There are parts of the world where people cannot find anything to eat, (because of famine, or war, or destruction), others where they cannot afford anything to eat, yet our OP asks the denizens of a site set up to discuss technology for advice on what he/she should eat having rolled out of bed?

A little lost for words, I am. Well, almost…..

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

9. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

yea... just realized that this was a bad idea

10. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

Sorry, I was under the impression that i was asking a question to the community, although this is a tech based site, i imagine that some of us don't just eat, drink and sleep apple. We all have our lives that we need to take care of, and i just imagined that just maybe, there was a health nut that enjoyed apple products here. All I wanted was an answer from the community. Is it so bad to ask a general question not apple or Tech related on the Community Discussion Forum?

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, no, no, nothing wrong at all with asking a question about what you should have for lunch, not having eaten breakfast and just awoken, on - what was initially designed - as a tech site.

And - to be honest, - I'll grant that it is nowhere nearly as - bizarre- as some of the relationship based threads that have surfaced here……….

(It is) Just a - somewhat surprising place to ask such a question. Are there no friends, family, colleagues you could pose such a question to, in a face-to-face setting? Is the internet the place for such……..a question? Maybe my response is a reaction based on age……..

Anyway, in the absence of other information, I am just a little surprised at - firstly - the fact that the question was asked (what sort of answer do you actually expect?),and secondly, the tone of your post calls to mind that banal, and utter self-absorption - of some of the threads on this forum.

And, while personally, I don't 'eat, drink and sleep' Apple, I do travel to - and work in - parts of the world that are very far from the US, geographically, politically, socially, culturally and - above all - economically.

In other words, I have worked in countries where people actually go hungry, or where they can barely afford to buy food as a result of war, dysfunction, poverty, social, economic and political extortion, destruction and collapse. Therefore, my problem with your post isn't that I think the forum should be confined to discussions on technological matters, (because I don't), it is that I have a very hard time taking the sort of topic you posted on, in the tone used, in any way seriously.

And, finally, would you take the advice of what you yourself described as 'a health nut who enjoyed Apple products' in any way seriously? I certainly wouldn't. I am rather allergic to health nuts, Apple lovers or otherwise.

12. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

i was in the site, because i was browsing about the iPhone (which i guess everybody is looking at these times with the launch of the 6th iteration) the question dawned to me, and i asked. Yes there are plenty of people starving in the world right now, I do go out of my way to donate wen i can, and i try to be a good Samaritan. My question was in no way shape or form meant to disrespect anyone, especially does ho are starving in the world, it was a simple question that instead of looking for someone that i know, i decided to interact with this community. Sometimes, not all the time, you can get a answer that 50 times better that the closest person you know. it's a 1 in 1million chance, kind of close to the odds of wining the lotto but that's fine with me. because it was a simple, not that important, not that life changing question. a question of which i was not looking for a professional answer. And yes on this site because i was under the imprecision that despite the dominating topic (apple, Tech) i wanted to believe that there was a sense of community here, i guess i was wrong.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, much of the time, there is a sense of community on these threads and on this forum; however - if you really want the question addressed to the community to be taken seriously by that same community, I'd suggest that you give the impression that you are taking the question seriously yourself, first of all; thus, I'd recommend that you rephrase your question and re-title the thread title.

If your thread asked for advice on how to eat more healthily (for example something along the lines of "Can You Please Offer Advice On What Might Be A Healthy Diet"?), rather than the - almost childlike, and breathtakingly banal thread title, which read - 'I didn't have breakfast today, what should I have for lunch?' you might receive replies which would take your question more seriously.

Me, I don't eat sweet things for breakfast; I eat fruit, yogurt, cheese, (sometimes salami), bread, coffee, and occasionally, eggs. Oddly enough, that is the sort of platter which will also happily suffice for lunch.

14. jeremysteele, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

jeremysteele macrumors 6502

hmmm......

1. A half-gallon (1.9 L) of chocolate ice cream
    2. Egg in the basket
    3. 3.2 Pop-Tarts (any flavor)
    4. 88 peices of cocoa-puffs cereal. Exactly 88, or else.
    5. 1 cup (200 ml) of Red bull

Ok, fine, I won't be like that.

If you ever skip breakfast again (as a lot of people do) eat a high-protein and high-vitamin meal for lunch to help make up some lost nutrients... bean salad, protein shake, apricots, figs, raisins... things like that. Heck, even add in a granola bar! A chicken salad would work too.

At least that's what I do (not a nutritionist... but I miss breakfast too often). Usually its enough to hold me over so I can have a good carb-filled dinner (which some people say is bad... but it helps put me to sleep. To each their own!)

Basically just avoid the temptation to grab the quickest (premade) meal available... especially fast food! It may look good after missing your first meal... but you'll be slowly killing your body with that crap. Plus those carbs will put you to sleep in no time, and that is no-good in the middle of the day.

Additionally - my little trick is to also avoid the temptation to completely "make up" the lost calories/nutrients. It's not worth trying to cram 3-meals worth of food into your afternoon/evening. Again, not a nutritionist - but whenever I fall into that trap for a few days I always gain weight. Would have to imagine it completely screws your metabolism to do that.

15. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

thank you, that was good advice, i will keep this in mind for next time