I didn't know I have "exercised"

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by silverblack, Apr 28, 2015.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

According to the Activity app, I have exercised 18 min and 44 min in the last two days I owned this watch. The fact is I did nothing more that walking in and out of my office at work, and driving between home and work.

Is this defective? Am I doing anything wrong? I like to wear my watch a bit loosely, is that causing the problem?

2. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Same here, but was working outside, cutting grass, cutting shrubs, but still I checked my heart rate in the health app and nothing over 100, I certainly didn't walk fast.

Amazing thing is I went into the workout app selected outdoor walk, averaged 3 miles an hour, heart averaged 95 and it didn't register as an exercise:D

And steps are way way off for the full day.

Go into the health app on the phone check health data vitals and see if your heart rate was up at any time.

3. kuwema macrumors newbie

I'm having a hard time getting anything to register as exercise. I've been taking 7 flights of stairs at work multiple times per day and was on the treadmill for 45 mins today and only got credited for 6 mins.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Driving is usually the culprit. As I mentioned in another thread, my Fitbit One registers a ridiculous amount of activity when it's just my driving.

5. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

If that is true, doesn't it make these fitness trackers kind of useless?

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

If you drive a lot, especially in the inner city where the roads are crappier and there's lot of stopping/starting, - frankly - yes, they're useless.

But of course FitBit's FAQ will have you believe there will be NO false steps..

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_...es-my-tracker-work-while-I-m-driving-in-a-car

Quite frankly I'm amazed nobody has sued them for that sort of BS. I have my FitBit one in my pocket and my wife wears hers on her bra - and whenever either of us is driving or a passenger, it will pick up hundreds or thousands of steps depending on the length of travel. It's a bit of a joke.

7. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

Thank you for sharing this information. Oh well, I guess the watch is still useful in monitoring stats during workout on my elliptical which has a broken progress sensor. I suppose this helps justifying to my wife the money I spent of the watch :)

8. lunaumbrax macrumors newbie

I rode over 6 hours in the car two days ago, one of the bumpiest rides of my life at some bridges and the such, the watch didn't track any steps. I just kept getting the stand notification, which is kind of depressing when you really can't stand.

9. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

May be it is the driving that messes it up; i.e., the constant arm movement from maneuvering the steering wheel.