I didn't know SL made iWork read Office files.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NJMetsHero, Sep 26, 2009.

1. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

That's really nice. I'm enjoying it a lot. It is going to make my life a lot easier at school. Did anyone else notice this.

2. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

iWork '09 has always had the ability to open/save Window formats...
    The installation of Snow Leopard doesn't affect 3rd party applications (including iWork).

3. cube macrumors G5

iWork does not support Office 2003 XML and cannot handle Office macros.

4. G4DP macrumors 65816

Shame it doesn't keep Word formatting though.

5. NJMetsHero thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently it does. I have iWork '08. I used to download the file and put it onto a USB and view it on a school CPU but I accidentally clicked to open it. Before it would say just cannot view this file or something. But this time Pages fired up and showed me the document. It was a .docx file.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that makes no sense as the OS does not affect the behavior of 3rd party apps like that, are you sure you dont have 09?

7. springyfox macrumors member

In every file there is a section of "code" known as the creator code. If you create a file in word, the creator code will belong to word. If you create a file in pages, the creator code will belong to pages.

In Leopard, the OS used to look at this creator code and open with the relevant application. That's why some JPEG files would open with preview, some with Photoshop, etc etc, even though they are the same file type.

Snow Leopard now ignores this creator code and opens documents with the default handler for that file type. So all docx will open in Pages, if that is your default, regardless of what application created them.

I hope that makes sense?

Basically Snow Leopard hasn't made iWork read office files, but it has stopped the computer opening the file with the application that created it.

Tom

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Always did, but I found the formatting,at least with spreadsheets to be questionable.

I think OpenOffice does a better job at retaining the original formatting - just my $.02