I didn't know there was "White on Black" mode on my iPad, brightness problem solved!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fertilized-egg, Jul 31, 2011.

1. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

One of my complaints about iPad is its lowest brightness being too bright in stock. I didn't know there was this setting under accessibility and it's great for reading things in dark.

[​IMG]
    (image found through Google, http://www.tilrc.org/assests/news/0111news/0111tech26.html)

I was thinking about installing a Cydia app for this but for now I'm very happy reading stuff on my iPad without disturbing my wife or my eyes. I can also set the toggle with the triple click of the home button which is super handy. I wish I knew about it sooner.

2. gregrose macrumors 6502

i didnt realize anyone actually liked to use that setting, lol

3. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I always had the triple-click Home Button thing enabled. Even though I don't use those options much, having them available is nice.

The triple-tap to zoom messes up a lot of games though. There's a bad iOS glitch that doesn't recognize more than 2 fingers on the screen at a time if it's enabled. I always wondered why some puzzle games that require many fingers on the screen at once didn't recognize when I used more than 2. Disabling that triple-tap feature fixed things. I can play complex puzzle games again. :rolleyes:

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Me too! Everyone disagrees with me when I tell them it's still too bright. Thats the only reason I use the inverted colour toggle (although didn't set up triple tap home for it. I'd rather just go into settings since I'm trying not to use my home button due to gestures).

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

fyi: i favor settings that don't require mechanical button pressing. for those that are jailbroke, you can assign the invert color toggle to an action. i have mine's set to status bar left swipe. easy as pie!

i occasionally like to use a black background when reading ebooks/pdfs (i use a combo of ibooks and zen for reader apps) and wish they (and more apps) supported this.

i know cloudreader has support but i don't like that app. probably easier just having it the way i have it setup now except that the inverted colors setting is global and outside of the reader app, it makes everything else look 'wrong'. ;)

6. falstaffpac macrumors member

falstaffpac

Nice find, I had no idea this toggle even existed. And I agree, the dimmest setting is still to bright in low/no light environment. Im looking forward to trying this.

7. macrat macrumors regular

Thanks I didn't know that either.

This solves my problem.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I haven't bothered to jailbreak my iPad yet, but I have Activator on my iPod touch and I love having those types of options.

9. jsan1 macrumors member

I put my iPad in black on white mode to see your picture as it would normally appear. :)

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I love watching visualizers with the colors reversed, especially Spawn HD. Very psychedelic.

11. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Wow, I just turned this feature on and it is so much easier to read with this setting! I wonder if it saves a little bit more battery, too?

12. wlasikiewicz macrumors newbie

I had no idea this was an option either. Good find.

13. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I didn't know about this either - although since my home background is dark, now that is lighter, as is a dark game I play a lot. Has anyone tried Dimmer on a JB iPad? I was thinking of getting it.

14. jenn571 macrumors newbie

jenn571

I agree too, nice find! I didn't know about this and I too agree that at the lowest "brightness", it's still too bright.

15. fertilized-egg thread starter macrumors 68020

Unfortunately no. AFAIK, LCDs work by actively blocking out the light to make it black, so no matter how dark it looks to you, the backlight is still on at the same intensity. I believe this is why the black is never quite black on a LCD because it just cannot block out the light 100%.