Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
Skinny rake of a model, huh? I'd like to think I'm pretty built...

:p ;)

I'm glad we all share the same sense of humor here, it makes things so much more entertaining. :)

Ah, if only Diatribe was following this thread... :D :eek: :cool:

You animal you! :eek: ;)
Well not a skinny rake of a model I guess, you look like you can hold your own, no fighting though, I'm tired :rolleyes:

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Jay42 said:
It is really a shame that a company that built such great cars whose looks were based on simple, clean, and well constructed lines has resorted to gimics and smoke and mirror type designs in their new models.
Automotive styling was becoming too bland, too predictable, too placid. BMW threw a wrench into the status quo, overcame inertia and conservatism, and defeated conformity. Now others are trying to conform to BMW. Audi and Mercedes have developed their own iDrive while the new Honda sedan and coupe, the new Lexus GS, the new Mercedes S and others are copying various Bangle styling elements. Audi has remained conservative except for the enlarged nose -- that must have been like moving a mountain!

The iDrive, too is another turnoff. I guess for now that means I'll be sticking to Audi's designs, as they seem a little more traditional and logical.
The instrument panel layout of the new A6 has been widely criticized as being a step in the wrong direction, a bewildering change from a company otherwise known for superb cockpit design.

As for iDrive being a turnoff, have you actually used one? The original 7-series iDrive may have been complicated, but the current generation iDrive software is pretty cool. I think only magazine editors hate iDrive; most actual owners do not.

Their new A6 is pretty stunning IMO. Also I loved driving my dad's new S4.
The A6 is easy on the eyes and after a few repeat sightings becomes quickly boring.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
Yup, didn't know this existed until I saw this thread either. I've never been a big BMW fan to begin with, but I do like the looks of the Z4 and the M5 for what it's worth. Beemers just seem to "standard" in some respects, sort of like what we were both saying earlier in the thread - it's almost a token vehicle for someone with above-average income which they're willing to spend on a car. When I see a Porsche drive by, I realize the person is well-off, but I say, "Oh, look, another Porsche" - you could insert "BMW" in that sentence pretty transparently as well in my opinion. Nice cars, good quality and all that, but not my cup of tea. :cool:

Depending on your area I think that BMW and Mercedes are both more of a status symbol than much else, however that said I still really like M series BMWs, more for the power and lines than the money aspect.

The problem is, what car do you get to be unique and show off that well earned cash? I mean, if you can afford those cars without thinking it over 8, 11, or 23 times, then how would you go about seperating yourself from all the other "another Porsche" drivers? There are few brands that can effectively do that which provide a car that is still somewhat useable.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
You animal you! :eek: ;)
Well not a skinny rake of a model I guess, you look like you can hold your own, no fighting though, I'm tired :rolleyes:

Heh heh - thought you'd appreciate that one... :D No worries, I have no interest in fighting you, you're on my good side... ;)

ksz said:
The A6 is easy on the eyes and after a few repeat sightings becomes quickly boring.

I know from an engineering standpoint Audi has always excelled at making excellent cars, and I respect that, but I just have never been a fan of the way they look. They have always looked too plain and boring for me, I guess it's just personal taste. If I'm shelling out top dollar for a quality car (which I have no problems in doing) I want it to stand out and look more than just "normal", because when I see an Audi, that's all I see - a plain, standard, run of the mill vehicle, even though I know it is much more than that.

But again, personal preference!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
ksz said:
Automotive styling was becoming too bland, too predictable, too placid. BMW threw a wrench into the status quo, overcame inertia and conservatism, and defeated conformity. Now others are trying to conform to BMW. Audi and Mercedes have developed their own iDrive while the new Honda sedan and coupe, the new Lexus GS, the new Mercedes S and others are copying various Bangle styling elements. Audi has remained conservative except for the enlarged nose -- that must have been like moving a mountain!

The instrument panel layout of the new A6 has been widely criticized as being a step in the wrong direction, a bewildering change from a company otherwise known for superb cockpit design.

As for iDrive being a turnoff, have you actually used one? The original 7-series iDrive may have been complicated, but the current generation iDrive software is pretty cool. I think only magazine editors hate iDrive; most actual owners do not.

Pseudo-agree, not sure about iDrive stuff, and to my actual reasoning, I think Audi has a lot going for it BECAUSE it becomes "quickly boring" as you state.
RS4, RS6 (Avant), both awesome cars that blend in a little more and concentrate on performance and not flash. If I had the 80k I would head for a RS4 before an M3 because it fits in better. Sometimes attracting attention is not always a better thing.

I realize the above contradicts my other above statement about showing off that hard-earned cash....just two different philosophies.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
Depending on your area I think that BMW and Mercedes are both more of a status symbol than much else, however that said I still really like M series BMWs, more for the power and lines than the money aspect.

I completely agree - "status symbols" sums it up nicely. And as previously stated, I like the M5 (the Z4 too for some reason), so I don't want to come across as a BMW hater or anything... ;)

efoto said:
The problem is, what car do you get to be unique and show off that well earned cash? I mean, if you can afford those cars without thinking it over 8, 11, or 23 times, then how would you go about seperating yourself from all the other "another Porsche" drivers? There are few brands that can effectively do that which provide a car that is still somewhat useable.

Agreed. A lot of the more "exotic" or unique cars may have the "looks" advantage, but, practically, may not be very good vehicles for a variety of reasons. It's like the TVR example that was brought up earlier in this thread. I think TVRs looks very cool, especially with those reflex and chameleon paint jobs, and they have good specs, yet in terms of quality, reliability, etc., they aren't the best choice - at least not when you're shelling out £50,000!

And then there's my buddy's 2003 Porsche 911 Turbo, which can spank other cars, including base 911s, is an amazing vehicle, yet 1) is a Porsche and 2) looks like any other Porsche for the most part other than the "Turbo" badge. Does it turn heads? When it's "performing", yes, but otherwise, no, not as much as is perhaps warranted.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
Pseudo-agree, not sure about iDrive stuff, and to my actual reasoning, I think Audi has a lot going for it BECAUSE it becomes "quickly boring" as you state.
RS4, RS6 (Avant), both awesome cars that blend in a little more and concentrate on performance and not flash. If I had the 80k I would head for a RS4 before an M3 because it fits in better. Sometimes attracting attention is not always a better thing.

I realize the above contradicts my other above statement about showing off that hard-earned cash....just two different philosophies.

You make good points. And to clarify my above comment, I don't hate Audis, I think they're amazing cars, but again, it's the whole "looks" thing I guess. But, as you say, sometimes you don't want to stand out. That way it makes it more fun to surprise people every once and a while too. ;)

It's sort of the same way I feel about some models of BMW, Benz, Lexus, etc. - when I see them on the street I know the higher end models are expensive as hell, but you simply wouldn't know it by looking at them. Not saying it's a bad thing, just making an observation. :cool:

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
efoto said:
For some it is about status. For others it is about quality and performance. If General Motors could build a car comparable in quality, design, performance and handling to the Germans then I would buy one. GM and Ford have purchased reputable car companies like Volvo, Jaguar, Lotus, Saab and others, but they have been unable to design their very own models to exacting standards. The Cadillac STS might be a contender -- it certainly has the blessing of many automative journalists -- but there's still something quite wrong with the overall package and it does not appeal to me. I would call that car bloated and exaggerated.

I have lost interest in Mercedes entirely except for their hardtop convertibles. So many errors, so many mistakes, so much mediocrity. Imagine life without an Apple Computer. Imagine life without a BMW. Glad someone builds computers because they are passionate about the total experience. And glad someone builds cars because they are likewise passionate.

I love my Bangle-designed 545i. With a 6-speed stick, 325 horses and Active Roll Stabilization it's a sports car in disguise.

The day I got it: http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11015&hl=
(Pictures start somewhere on page 2.)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
You make good points. And to clarify my above comment, I don't hate Audis, I think they're amazing cars, but again, it's the whole "looks" thing I guess. But, as you say, sometimes you don't want to stand out. That way it makes it more fun to surprise people every once and a while too. ;)

It's sort of the same way I feel about some models of BMW, Benz, Lexus, etc. - when I see them on the street I know the higher end models are expensive as hell, but you simply wouldn't know it by looking at them. Not saying it's a bad thing, just making an observation. :cool:

Valid points as well. It seems to be a car for a sport and a car for family would be ideal, however having two cannot always be achieved, especially when one is a 80k sports car or mixture of such. I think the major appeal, at least to me, of the M5 is the fact that it is a full sedan that kicks a**, not like the M3 which would be nearly impossible to get anything besides my supermodel girlfriend in with me :rolleyes: :D

I have an Audi A4 now and love it, great car for quality and performance and a pretty good value too (great deal on used....not sure on the value of new ones). I would consider purchasing an Audi again because of the quality I have been impressed with on this car, and because where I live they are common enough to not be more "targeted" than other higher-profile cars like Porsche or BMW. I find Audi and BMW on equal ground in most cases, yet BMW seems to have that "rich" edge to it even though both companies offer cars at roughly the same pricepoints.

Too bad everyone on the street can't be "in the know" and could recognize that Turbo badge or your "M" sticker, because then you could just by a random off the shelf looking car with your performance ups, and everyone would know you had the better one :), because at the end of the day the larger/faster/more expensive car quite obviously wins :rolleyes: (I still want one regardless :D)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
Valid points as well. It seems to be a car for a sport and a car for family would be ideal, however having two cannot always be achieved, especially when one is a 80k sports car or mixture of such. I think the major appeal, at least to me, of the M5 is the fact that it is a full sedan that kicks a**, not like the M3 which would be nearly impossible to get anything besides my supermodel girlfriend in with me :rolleyes: :D

Yah, I quite like the M5 as well - a sedan on steroids. :cool: But as you say, there needs to be some sort of balance/trade-off no matter how you look at it.

efoto said:
Too bad everyone on the street can't be "in the know" and could recognize that Turbo badge or your "M" sticker, because then you could just by a random off the shelf looking car with your performance ups, and everyone would know you had the better one :), because at the end of the day the larger/faster/more expensive car quite obviously wins :rolleyes: (I still want one regardless :D)

Too true. :)

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
ksz said:

I agree about the new controls being put in late model luxury sedans. Im not crazy about any of them. I also know that the iDrive is improving while the audi's arguably isn't. I have used the iDrive on a 2005 545i, but I still was't crazy about it. Then again, I've used the new A6 system as well: not much better.

My main point here was that in the late 90's early 2000's, the small and midsize sedans made by both Audi and BMW were definately some of my favorite realistically attainable cars. This is not because they were flashy on the outside or too complicated on the inside, but rather because of logical, subtle styling and eye pleasing lines that were consistent throughout these cars. I really hate to see all of these cars resorting to gimmicky flash as opposed to their older well thought-through designs. I happen to disagree with you on the A6. IMO, subtle, well-placed lines never get old or boring, as they are eye pleasing for a reason, while newer, flashier concepts may be exciting for the short term, but only until the next model rolls out. I also don't buy that whole "breaking away from conformity" thing. They're just trying to sell cars (Audi, too, all of them). Bangle has certainly excited a lot of new interest, but at the expense of loosing some long time devoted fans.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Jay42 said:
My main point here was that in the late 90's early 2000's, the small and midsize sedans made by both Audi and BMW were definately some of my favorite realistically attainable cars. This is not because they were flashy on the outside or too complicated on the inside, but rather because of logical, subtle styling and eye pleasing lines that were consistent throughout these cars. I really hate to see all of these cars resorting to gimmicky flash as opposed to their older well thought-through designs. I happen to disagree with you on the A6. IMO, subtle, well-placed lines never get old or boring, as they are eye pleasing for a reason, while newer, flashier concepts may be exciting for the short term, until the next model rolls out.

This is a good point as well. With "exotic" and "flashy" designs, one really has to question the staying power of a car - those types of vehicles can quickly go out of style, whereas a classic, traditional more reserved design is essentially timeless.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I would not characterize the new BMWs as flashy or gimmicky. The Lamborghini and the Ferrari Enzo are flashy and way out there as is the Cadillac STS in my view. I still consider the new BMWs to be elegant luxury cars with styling that is certainly a departure from the norm. You may not choose to believe it, but breaking away from conformity is something BMW's management conscientiously wanted to do. Designs were becoming too predictable and too similar to each other. They made an intentional decision to pursue bold new designs in light of disagreeable trends.

As for smooth flowing lines being timeless, that reflects a desire to avoid change or transition by becoming too comfortable with the status quo. An E39 (BMW 5 series from about 1996 to 2003) next to an E60 (BMW 5 series from 2004) looks outdated, not timeless.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
I love the look of the 6 Series, i've seen a few pale blue ones and maroon colour ones driving around Portsmouth and I always have to turn and keep on looking as they drive away.

Saw the Audi S4 today - really nice, would be quite happy with one of those!

Anyone else seen the BMW Z1? Only seen one so it seems pretty rare!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
This is a good point as well. With "exotic" and "flashy" designs, one really has to question the staying power of a car - those types of vehicles can quickly go out of style, whereas a classic, traditional more reserved design is essentially timeless.

Good points for sure. I personally prefer both previous models that Audi and BMW released to their current respective offerings. The models look like they are trying to hard, or they came direct from the premier-shows a couple of years ago without retouching. They are not overly drastic, and yet they are not near the elegant AND powerful lines of their older counterparts.

Last model of both brands was sleek yet strong, and very luxurious in both IMO. The new models just look like they are TRYING to break away from the norms, which history has proved doesn't work. What needs to be done is a subtle break-away, not this drastic crap that makes them look like they wanted to, or worse yet, needed to break away.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
cheekyspanky said:
I love the look of the 6 Series, i've seen a few pale blue ones and maroon colour ones driving around Portsmouth and I always have to turn and keep on looking as they drive away.

Saw the Audi S4 today - really nice, would be quite happy with one of those!

Anyone else seen the BMW Z1? Only seen one so it seems pretty rare!

Not the biggest fan of this 6 series, have not seen a Z1 yet, and I am completely heart-broken by the new S4.

Sure it has a ton of power, but damnit, they moved to a V8 like all the other retardedly powerful sports cars....why? M3 is going there too....why!?
I respect both Audi's and BMW's ability to pull power out of good engines much more than sticking in a monster and bragging about it.
Inline 6, best engine EVAR! Hands down! Why the he** would you go away from that? Bi-turbo V6, umm, holy cool Batman (of course this had numerous reasons to leave...but still).

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
Sure it has a ton of power, but damnit, they moved to a V8 like all the other retardedly powerful sports cars....why? M3 is going there too....why!?
I respect both Audi's and BMW's ability to pull power out of good engines much more than sticking in a monster and bragging about it.
Inline 6, best engine EVAR! Hands down! Why the he** would you go away from that? Bi-turbo V6, umm, holy cool Batman (of course this had numerous reasons to leave...but still).

Yah, I agree, I question the need for a V8. There's something so much more "pure" with a straight 6 or even the flat six which Porsche uses. I guess I just appreciate the engineering more with vehicles like that, where it is obvious the company has put a lot of time and effort in designing an excellent machine which can still pull more-than-decent power out of that size of an engine. Throwing in bigger engines seems like a brute force solution - one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Lambos. Mind you, even though the Murcielago has a 6.2L V12 gas-guzzler of an engine, I can't argue with the 572 horsepower, 480 foot-pounds of torque and a redline at 7,600 rpm. :eek: ;)

If you own a Murcielago though, just make sure you take good care of it... othwerwise....

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Well then, I think I'll one-up you. I have never seen or even heard of this car that I found while walking from the Prudential Center to South Station Tuesday afternoon:

Attachments

• 850iboston.jpg
    850iboston.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 83

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Counterfit said:
Well then, I think I'll one-up you. I have never seen or even heard of this car that I found while walking from the Prudential Center to South Station Tuesday afternoon:
That's a BMW 8-series coupe. It was taken off the market a few years ago, but they can still be found on the American road.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
mkrishnan said:
To me, there is something very unwieldy about the 6 series in photos, which doesn't come out as much in person. I thought it (the 6 drop, not the M6 -- I haven't seen one in person) looked very pretty in person, both at auto shows and on the street. Not that I could ever see buying one over a much smaller drop top....

I agree, photos do not do the 6 series justice. But the 8 series was the best car, hands down. I like the styling on the new M3 and M5 too, certainly more than the 6 series or M6.

Can anyone tell me why the wheels on BMWs ALWAYS look dirty?

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
Yah, I agree, I question the need for a V8. There's something so much more "pure" with a straight 6 or even the flat six which Porsche uses. I guess I just appreciate the engineering more with vehicles like that, where it is obvious the company has put a lot of time and effort in designing an excellent machine which can still pull more-than-decent power out of that size of an engine. Throwing in bigger engines seems like a brute force solution - one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Lambos. Mind you, even though the Murcielago has a 6.2L V12 gas-guzzler of an engine, I can't argue with the 572 horsepower, 480 foot-pounds of torque and a redline at 7,600 rpm. :eek: ;)

If you own a Murcielago though, just make sure you take good care of it... othwerwise....

That was the exact point I was getting at with the engineering behind making a sweet 6 instead of dumping in a big-a** engine to compensate. Either get the job done, one does it with style.
There is a tuned S4 in Chicago kicking out close to 480 whp, which with Quattro you could argue was 120 whp per wheel! :eek: out of a bi-turbo 6, that is pretty awesome. Granted there is tons of money behind that engine, but I respect that 480 a hel* of a lot more than a big V8 kicking 500+.

The thing that really irks me about the new M3 is that they just weened out and dropped an all-alu with magnesium accents v8, and then they make the claim that it is just as light as the old 6, well no sh** sherlock! Spend all that money on all-alu w/ mag on that inline 6 and that car would be wicked light and still kick out 350+ easy!

Just my .02, but it is the best .02 out there :rolleyes:

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
witness said:
I've seen a couple of these. I don't really see the point of such large 2 door sports cars. I enjoy sporty cars, don't get me wrong, but if it's going to be as big as this one, why not put some extra doors at the back?

On another note, why is it that people with expensive cars seem to think that parking between the lines does not apply to them?

big car?

i don't even think this is a medium sized car...actually compared to all the minivans, station wagons, and suv boats out there...sure, the bmw pictured here is not as small as a 911 or mazda miata, but it's a nice, compact, and hopefully manueverable car

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
wide said:
Can anyone tell me why the wheels on BMWs ALWAYS look dirty?
Haha, very astute observation! I'm on my 3rd BMW and the wheels chronically look dirty. The boring technically correct answer is brake dust (duh), but the emotionally better answer is that the BMW demographic is made up of people who love to drive hard. As stated succinctly by BMW's own slogan:

"Point B is not the point."

I handwash my car as often as possible; the worst part is clearning the wheels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.