I didn't mean to buy it...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dubhe, Feb 19, 2009.

1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Well, I've done it, I've bought a MBA!

I went to the apple store today to have a look and ended up buying a MB Unibody for the wife and a MBA 1.6 HDD for myself!

I must say, and I am typing this on it, I am sooo happy. I am more than happy with the speed, it doesn't seem to run that hot, and there are so many nice things about it!

I couldn't justify the SSD, but I must admit that thing was fast opening apps. In the store I opened iPhoto on the display machine with 1500 or so photos, it opened in a matter of seconds. But, I don't open and close files that much to be honest, generally work in one or two for extended periods, so the 1.6 is just fine :)

FYI interrogating the serial number, it was built in Week 4 of 2009, and still has very faint lines on the screen, but to be honest, they don't distract, I have to look to see them, if I hadn't read this forum I would never have known!

I don't regret not buying the 1.83 at all, it's very impressive but unnecessary IMO

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I know the feeling of the impulse buy, just look at my sig heh. Glad you're happy with the machines. I rarely have ever been limited by the CPU speed (it's almost always the ram/hd/graphics that limits the stuff I do) so I don't see much point in the faster ones myself. For other people with different uses it'd be a different story.

3. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Congratulations!
    The one thing that strikes me about the MBA is how fun it is to actually use it. I have not had this feeling with any other laptop....

4. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

If you are happy, don't think about anything else. Life is too short not to be happy at all times. :):)

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Congratulations on your purchase!

Just for the fun of it, you should try to play Crysis or Fallout 3.:p

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Congratulations on your excellent purchase.

Yes, the best of the revised MBA is available on the low-end model...

The difference of having SATA-II HDD is much nicer than the original SSD. The Nvidia graphics are amazing and exactly the same on low-end as high-end. The mini display port ability to drive up to 30" ACD on both low and high-end. The exact same 1066 MHz RAM on both low and high-end. And the amazing Penryn 45 NM CPU with 6 MB L2 cache on both! The speed difference is very unnoticeable...

That makes the revised low-end MBA by far the better buy. The main features are available on both... It's really an excellent buy for the amazing computer and capabilities with such a perfect form for portability whether taking across country or just to the couch.

I have the high-end model with SSD, but only because I use it for work and I need fast boot and all because I take it to client offices. It's really NOT necessary for most. If I only used my MBA at home, I would have done the exact same thing. Because if you just leave it on, with apps running, the SSD is very unnecessary.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your MBA as much as I enjoy mine. It is one beautiful and amazing machine. By far my favorite Mac/computer ever.

Cheers.

7. qpid macrumors regular

8. EB66 macrumors 6502

i cant wait to feel the same way as you in a week or so :D

9. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

You'll love it :)