I didn't realize how fast the ip4 was until I played with 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeans94621, Sep 4, 2010.

1. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

First of all sorry if this has been posted already. I felt like there was no difference with the speed of the ip4 than my 3gs. I gave my 3gs to my daughter and the other night she needed to me get her signed up for netflix. There is a significant difference. I thought she had did something to cause the speed to slow down so I restored her phone It was a little faster but not like my ip4. She doesn't have the jailbreak because for some reason I can't jailbreak her phone. I do have the jailbreak and even though I notice a slight lag it is still faster at opening apps than the 3gs. I knew there was a difference in the display but I didn't realize it was so big of a difference. I sometimes wonder did I just jump on board with buying the ip4 because besides the hardware it wasn't that big of a difference. But now I see there is a huge difference. The 3gs is a great phone but the ip4 is a much better phone. It is smoother and definitely faster and you can't beat the retina display. And by the way I never had any problems with the antenna because I immediately put my phone in a case for protection even before I heard about atennagate and I always use a bluetooth or headset for my phone so if I have the issue with the ps I never noticed. Sorry to go on and on but I just fell back in love with my ip4 again.;)

2. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Imagine if you had went from the 3G to the ip4. I did that and it was night and day. Now when I have to use my brothers 3G (running 3.1.2, JB'd and unlocked) I find it soooo slow and the display sooo grainy.

3. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

There's no difference in the 3GS speed overall vs the ip4, at least not an appreciable difference to the naked eye. I always find these posts amusing. One can only assume there was something wrongnwith your 3GS.

4. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Can he share his story without comments like this?!?...I agree with the op I notice a difference in speed as well. Are you still amused einstein?

5. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Your wrong...but OK.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I didn't notice it being faster when I went from 3GS to iP4. If it's faster, it's nothing like the jump from original or 3G to 3GS.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, this is wrong.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Having owned all versions of the iPhone. The speed difference going from iPhone/iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS is much greater than the difference going from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4.

To me, iPhone 4 feels about 15-20% faster than iPhone 3GS. While the iPhone 3GS felt 40-50% faster than the iPhone 3g

9. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Have you used a 3GS and 4 side by side??? There is a difference...

I went from a 3G to 3GS to 4 in a 2 week period (don't ask)....

3G to 3GS was a huge difference... 3GS to 4 there's a difference... but 3G to 4 is crazy!! I had no idea how fast the 3GS and 4 where compared to the 3G..

My 3G was running 4.0 without any issues.... a bit slow but not crazy slow

10. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Having both the 3GS, and now the iPhone 4, I agree with the OP, that the iPhone 4 is faster. Going by my speed tests that I've run on both, at the same ace and time, I would say my iPhone 4 is probably about 25 to 40% faster......

11. weespeed macrumors 6502

12. circularforward macrumors 6502

Not the most scientific test, but here's a fun video comparing the speeds of the 2g, 3g, 3gs, and 4.

Edit: weespeed beat me to it! =)

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I most definitely have used a 3gs and a 4 side by side, there is no appreciable difference to me. By appreciable I mean yes I see an incredibly slight lag on the 3gs, but IMO it's not appreciable, and certainly nowhere near the huge difference the OP is stating. Now the 3g to the 4 yes there is a decent difference there, but of course the OP was directly comparing the 3gs to the 4. Let me repeat, I'm not saying there isn't a difference at all, I'm saying it's not a "huge" (directly quoted from the OP) difference.

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

He can share his story, but I can input my direct experiences as well, that's why it's a forum, mkay Brainiac? It's a shame an adult internet forum has members that debase themselves to name calling.

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I went from the 3G to the i4. Like going from dial up to cable internet.

16. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

The 4's certainly snappier than the 3GS, but if you went from 3G to 4, it would probably be like the difference between someone throwing a ball made out of foam and someone else shooting a gun.

17. tesilential macrumors regular

Side by side the I4 is obviously faster at everything.

I can see how it would be harder to notice the speed if you don't have both in front of you.

Side by side, the I4 is clearly 20-35% faster at opening every app.

Ex. Opening Simpsons app on I4 takes about 8 seconds. Does it 12 on the 3GS.

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

There really isn't any difference in speed other than download and upload speeds. Other than these two things, the two phones are almost identical in how fast they open apps and other things.

I have a 32Gb iPhone 4, a 8GB 3GS and a 32GB 3GS. I can't tell the difference in speeds other than on the internet. I've opened the same apps on a 3GS and the iPhone 4 and they've all opened up in the same amount of time on both side by side.

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

there's a much larger difference once you start stressing the devices a bit. The 3GS runs out of memory way quicker than the iPhone 4 does, so it starts bogging down sooner. the iPhone 4s CPU also is better suited for multitasking because of the higher clock (although the Cortex A9 CPUs will be much better for this, since they use an out of order design and can be multicore).

20. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

This. And ditto. :apple:

21. unclejamaal macrumors 6502

Me too. I have used an Iphone 4 before returning it after 2 weeks due to the proximity rubbish. I then went back to a 3GS and cannot notice a considerable difference in speed. If anything, I notice less 'lag' in typing SMS on my 3GS !!!

Overall, Im happy I saved myself £300 by getting a 3GS 32GB . This will last me at least until next June but I wont make the same mistake of being an early adopter for Iphone 5 :D

22. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

You've obviously not used them both side by side.

23. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I certainly have used them side by side. Had my wife's 3g, my 32gb 3gs (both before I sold them on CL) and my 16bg ip4 side by side and played around with them as I debated a lot before keeping my ip4.

I see plenty of members who see no appreciable difference in this thread. Once again I'm not saying there is no difference, it's just not a "huge" difference as some are making it out to be.

24. dxn2 macrumors newbie

Everyone should be able to share their experiences. When you start throwing how amused you are it looks like a slight to the OP. It appears that you are scoffing at his post and his experience.

I appreciate all of the input as I am trying to make the decision to upgrade from 3GS to 4.