Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I've made the switch from the 6 Plus to the 6S. I didn't think I found the 6 Plus difficult or awkward to use until I started using my regular 6S. I'm able to navigate around and type on the keyboard a lot faster and more comfortably on the 6S.
I'm not bashing the 6 Plus, I think its a great phone and loved having it for a year, the screen definitely looks a lot nicer and its going to take me a while to get used to the 6S screen and battery life. Over all I don't think I regret my decision, i'm actually surprised at how quickly i'm adapting to the smaller phone, I don't find it too limiting when browsing safari and watching videos.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
That's great. Everyone of course has their personal preferences, and a lot of people like the small sized device. It certainly is easier to hold in your hand(s).
Obviously a trade off with regards to screen size with apps and videos but it sounds like you made the best choice for you.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
That's great. Everyone of course has their personal preferences, and a lot of people like the small sized device. It certainly is easier to hold in your hand(s).
Obviously a trade off with regards to screen size with apps and videos but it sounds like you made the best choice for you.
I hope so, I nearly changed my order so many times. I think i've definitely settled on keeping the 6S. If I spend a year with each size I might be able to make an easy decision next year!

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I had the exact same experience. So much more comfortable in the hand. I'm going to miss the battery life though.

Reactions: jase1125

jase1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Texas
I did the same - went from the 6 plus to the regular 6s. I am so torn. The 6s is an order of magnitude more comfortable, but the additional screen real estate, battery and OIS is hard to give up. I keep going back and forth on which size to keep.

Reactions: burgman

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
You aren't alone, my friend! The 6 Plus just doesn't feel right in my hands. Typing is a pain and using it in bed (while on your side) is uncomfortable. I'm a pretty big guy (6'5 with large hands). The 6S makes me love the iPhone again.

My god -- I'll never buy another 5.5 inch phone! :cool:

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I've made the switch from the 6 Plus to the 6S. I didn't think I found the 6 Plus difficult or awkward to use until I started using my regular 6S. I'm able to navigate around and type on the keyboard a lot faster and more comfortably on the 6S.
I'm not bashing the 6 Plus, I think its a great phone and loved having it for a year, the screen definitely looks a lot nicer and its going to take me a while to get used to the 6S screen and battery life. Over all I don't think I regret my decision, i'm actually surprised at how quickly i'm adapting to the smaller phone, I don't find it too limiting when browsing safari and watching videos.

FYI the 6 Plus is So Bulky and Poorly Designed it has a 5.5" 1080p Display
But the Samsung Note 5 has a 5.7" 1440P Display and its lighter and smaller than the 6 Plus

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I went from 6+ to 6S as well. The pant pockets are much happier now. I'm adjusting to the smaller screen, had to use safari in landscape more often to see web content.

Last edited:

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
You aren't alone, my friend! The 6 Plus just doesn't feel right in my hands. Typing is a pain and using it in bed (while on your side) is uncomfortable. I'm a pretty big guy (6'5 with large hands). The 6S makes me love the iPhone again.

This is day two with the 6s Plus. I also have very large hands but I'm pretty sure I'm going back to the 6s. I do a lot of aerial photography and the Plus is the perfect size for that but it's just not comfortable in my hands(s). Battery life and OIS are nice but not at the expense of comfort and usability. I'm giving it until Monday or so to make the call.

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
I'm inlove with my 6S plus and I could never go back to a smaller device yet the iPhone 6. The plus feels like more of an upgrade than anything

Reactions: Totalkharnage

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015

the 326 ppi put me off the 6s - it should have the 1080p display by now, but that will be in the 7 - although the plus is less manageable the sharper display and bigger battery are great benefits. Using the assistive touch on the plus also lets you work the phone without having to reach down to home button or to top notifications

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
the 326 ppi put me off the 6s - it should have the 1080p display by now, but that will be in the 7 - although the plus is less manageable the sharper display and bigger battery are great benefits. Using the assistive touch on the plus also lets you work the phone without having to reach down to home button or to top notifications
I agree, I didn't think i'd notice the difference in resolution but coming from the 6 Plus the screen is very noticeably not as nice. I've never been keen on the assistive touch. I never found operating the Plus a problem when I had it, its just now that i've gone for the smaller size I realise how much easier it is.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
But the Samsung Note 5 has a 5.7" 1440P Display and its lighter and smaller than the 6 Plus
I don't care about spec wars, never had a problem with the resolution on the 6 Plus, it looks really nice, so didn't need it to be any higher. The advantages of having an iPhone with iOS, for me, far outweigh any spec or design advantages the Samsung Note might have.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Awesome, of course most people can't see a difference between those resolutions as the individual pixels are small enough you can't make them out.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
This is day two with the 6s Plus. I also have very large hands but I'm pretty sure I'm going back to the 6s. I do a lot of aerial photography and the Plus is the perfect size for that but it's just not comfortable in my hands(s). Battery life and OIS are nice but not at the expense of comfort and usability. I'm giving it until Monday or so to make the call.

I felt the same way about the 6(S) plus screen size being awesome for many app uses. At the same time I couldn't agree more on how the Plus phone size being awkward and uncomfortable to hold and carry around. I think my 6S with iPad Air 2 combo will work out well this year.

Totalkharnage

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Halifax UK
I've stepped up to the Plus from the standard 6 and love it. It was slightly awkward at first but after the first 30 mins, it felt fine and the increase in screen size and ease of typing is worth it for me.

I agree with the guy who made the point about the Galaxy Note being smaller physically even with a bigger screen. You don't have to be a Samsung fan to agree and trust me, I'm not. I think Apple will
Find a way of reducing the top and bottom bezels for the 7 although personally, can't see the home button going anywhere.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Hopefully the 7 will incorporate the home button into the screen with force touch. Then Apple can shrink the phone size to a LG G3/4 no bezels look. I too have gone back and forth between 6 and 6+, amazing how the 6 just disappears in your pocket but that large screen is so nice.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

You would if that phone had edge to edge curved display and almost no bezel.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I've stepped up to the Plus from the standard 6 and love it. It was slightly awkward at first but after the first 30 mins, it felt fine and the increase in screen size and ease of typing is worth it for me.

I agree with the guy who made the point about the Galaxy Note being smaller physically even with a bigger screen. You don't have to be a Samsung fan to agree and trust me, I'm not. I think Apple will
Find a way of reducing the top and bottom bezels for the 7 although personally, can't see the home button going anywhere.

Why not use it for a few months before determining it's ok.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
You would if that phone had edge to edge curved display and almost no bezel.
Good one! That's true, I should've said I'll never buy one with the current dimensions. Would be great if they could keep the size of the 6S and lose the bezel and home button! :)

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I agree, I didn't think i'd notice the difference in resolution but coming from the 6 Plus the screen is very noticeably not as nice. I've never been keen on the assistive touch. I never found operating the Plus a problem when I had it, its just now that i've gone for the smaller size I realise how much easier it is.

Yeah I personally went from a 1080p LG G2 to regular 6s, the resolution downgrade between 750p and 1080p is definitely noticeable. The regular 6s screen is still good and sharp but a 1080p screen has that extra sharpness you can notice right away. This is one of my only complaints with the 6s. I considered the 6s plus, but I think it's too big. I mean it's notably bigger than my G2 was, and I considered that as big as I would want a phone to be. The regular 6s is actually pretty similar to the size of the G2 and the G2 had a 5.2 inch screen, it would be nice if Apple can reduce the size of the bezels for the 7. As for 1440p, I considered that not really worth it, the difference between that and 1080p I really don't notice on an around 5" phone.

Reactions: jase1125

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Glad the 6s is working for you but the plus size is perfect for me. Can't see ever going to a smaller phone.

dakotacheryl

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
Staying with the Plus size (6plus to 6S Plus)...normal sized girl hands and couldn't imaging going back to the smaller size. Choice is a good thing !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.