I didn't think it would happen...signs of bending

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by betterthanhalf, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betterthanhalf macrumors newbie

My iPhone 6 started bending. I didn't think it would happen to me because I'm very careful with my iPhone, don't really use it that much compared to my iPad air, and always take it out of my pocket before I sit. It's not an extreme bend like other users and in my opinion could have happened over time. It's hard to say. The bending is most noticeable where the sim card slot is.

I've had a tech armor ballistic glass screen protector and black apple silicone case since day one. Hopefully apple takes care of me since I've always had an excellent experience with them in the past.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

3. betterthanhalf thread starter macrumors newbie

4. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Noticed the exact same thing yesterday. Always put it in my front pocket (not tight) and definitely never put it in my back pocket. :(

5. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Sorry this happened to you man, but I don't know if I'd count on apple taking care of you. Do you have apple care plus?

You could always just return for a refund if you're within your 14 days too, and just buy another, that way you wouldn't even have to go through the "geniuses"

6. betterthanhalf, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

betterthanhalf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, impossible for me to determine the cause since I don't examine my phone everyday. I shouldn't have to. I wish I knew the cause so that I can avoid it in the future.

----------

I'm past the 14 day return window. Thankfully I got Squaretrade but I'm hoping apple will just swap it for me. I'm headed to the store after lunch.

7. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

They'll give you a refurb then if they swap it then no? If they even do that.

8. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

9. betterthanhalf thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't mind getting a refurb. I've never had problems with refurbs in the past.

10. eneisch macrumors 6502a

At this point they probably don't have refurbs. You would probably get a new phone in a white box (just doesn't come with accessories).

11. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I personally would hate it, just really out of principle alone and the idea that I had to accept a refurb whilst paying full price. But that's just me maybe.

Hope you get taken care of.

12. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Problem with that is if you try and something breaks they definitely won't replace it and claim user damage.

13. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

Are you sure it's bent? Apple says only 9 units have been affected. We will see how many units have actually been affected after the smoke clears. I smell a class action lawsuit.

14. betterthanhalf thread starter macrumors newbie

15. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I think he was trying to be funny.

----------

Yeah, right? All 9 people with bent phones are MacRumors members who keep posting threads under multiple bogus accounts. What are the odds? :apple:

16. betterthanhalf thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure. I'm at my parents house and my mom and brother noticed when I showed it to them.

17. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Bad luck man!

Most reports about bending relate to the 6+ so yours seems like a very unusual case.

It doesn't look like they are any obvious signs of force applied to the phone so I imagine that apple will give you a new one.

18. eneisch macrumors 6502a

This is not necessarily true. http://www.oneofthenine.com/ has many cases of regular iphones 6 that have been bent (note I am not making a judgement whether mis-use was involved or if there is a defect - just that the iPhone 6 bends too). Some have even reported them slightly bent right out of the box. Even Consumer Reports found that the regular 6 bent with less force than the 6 plus. Since there are six times as many iPhone 6s out there than 6 pluses I would expect there to be more cases of bent iPhone 6s over time.

19. deaglecat macrumors 6502

20. x5tuu macrumors member

i had the same problem, 3week old handset, always kept in an Apple leather case and not kept in leg pockets etc...

Booked in with the Genius Bar in Metrocentre, UK and went there this afternoon. Went through the bend/warp on my 6plus and they agreed to swap it out on this occasion as a gesture of good will. I am yet to get the replacement as they didn't have any Gold 6plus' in stock but will ring me when they have it (ordered in for me apparently), and I have the Apple email confirming their intention for a free exchange.

I was very patient and open about its usage and how I treat a phone and the girl I dealt with was very accommodating and accepted the warp/bend was potentially a manufacturer defect.

21. cababah macrumors 68000

OP, do you think it could have shipped like that?

22. betterthanhalf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping I get a similar experience soon.

----------

Nope. I remember when the first bending problems were being reported, I thought the entire thing was stupid, but I still checked my phone.

23. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

24. betterthanhalf thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I knew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.